The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What's the best Card's across routine you've ever seen? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Anything good should sound impossible when described the right way! Hopefully it also looks and feels impossible when performed the right way. Smile
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
JacksonAces
View Profile
New user
Sydney, NSW Australia
11 Posts

Profile of JacksonAces
David Blaine's cards across is my favourite, with multiple phases.. Not sure which special he performed it on, but the cards travelled across multiple times
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
I know it's already been mentioned on this thread, but I would have to agree that Mac King's is the best. I was never really a fan of the cards across plot until I saw Mac perform it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4QoIt2Mxb8

In the David Williamson Penguin lecture, I remember him telling a story of a cards/people across effect he came up with and eventually performed at a magic convention. I would love to see him perform it some time since, well, it's David Williamson, and I find anything that he does to be quite entertaining Smile.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Mac King's version doesn't really appeal to me I guess I must be in the minority, don't get me wrong it's ok but I suppose if we all thought the same then the world would be a boring place.
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Does anybody have any insight into why cards across is a classic? Arguably classics have a deep emotional appeal, Juan Tamariz expounds on this. What is the emotional appeal or resonance of cards across? I ask because I believe there is one and we need to build on it to make a strong presentation.
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
It resonates with audiences as it is very simple in concept. Three cards fly across and the magician has done nothing. As far as emotional appeal, look to Barrie Richardson's script in Theater of the Mind that demonstrates how he emotionally hooks his audience.
Scott Kahn
View Profile
Special user
Clayton, NC
787 Posts

Profile of Scott Kahn
I published an impromptu visual cards across routine in my book KAHNJURING, in which a signed selection jumps from a packet held in one hand to a packet held in the other hand in an outjogged state. It takes some practice but is well worth the effort.
Scott Kahn, M.D.

KAHNCEPTUAL CARD MAGIC: MORE DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnceptual-card-magic/

KAHNJURING: DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnjuring/

SWINDLES, SCAMS & KAHNS
https://kahnjuring.com/swindles-scams-kahns/
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
IMHO, it is Steve Reynold's version he taught recently in his In-Vestment lecture. He does it on the street daily. Bullet-proof from a real performer.
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
I have used a variation of Johnny Paul's Cards Across for almost 30 years. I my opinion Johnny's handling is almost the perfect trick. It has become my go to trick in almost every situation. I have used it in Comedy Clubs, Cruise Ships, Renaissance Fairs, and as an audition piece for many gigs always with great response. Johnny's routine is available on his DVD from Stevens Magic. Here is a link to mine.
https://youtu.be/S9ZaliVK3hQ
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Great routining, I particularly like the timing of the first addition
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2016, ChrisPayne wrote:
Does anybody have any insight into why cards across is a classic? Arguably classics have a deep emotional appeal, Juan Tamariz expounds on this. What is the emotional appeal or resonance of cards across? I ask because I believe there is one and we need to build on it to make a strong presentation.

Good question. I agree with Ed Oschmann that the simplicity of the concept of 3 cards flying to another place resonates with audiences. I also think there's an element of "in the hands" of the spectator (eg the spongeball routine where it happens in their hands) that adds to the astonishment. Lynn
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Good point lynnef - having now seen the strong reaction that Mac King and Mat Franco get from the classic "non chosen, non thought of" cards across - the reaction is all about "magical invasion of personal space". For those who do a chosen cards or thought of card across a question...."does revealing the cards that travel are the chosen ones really add substantially?" (Or is it an anti climax?)
RDeNatale
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of RDeNatale
Dan Harlan is doing a video series based on Tarbell. Tarbell 51: Teleportation, http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7039 is a treatise on Cards Across.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I'm a fan of cards across both thought of and regular version though it's not something that I've really performed much at gigs or in general for that matter.

The reason being and I think this is a very important element for me at least is that you have to find a way to make the cards travel from one place to another I think this is where you get the entertainment...this is probably what's prevented me performing it for the public as I haven't found the correct method that actually suits my style to make the cards travel.

It would be interesting to see if one version plays better than another but in all honesty I don't think one is really better than the other from a lay audiences perspective, I think it all comes down to the presentation and the actual performer
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Warren wrote

"you have to find a way to make the cards travel from one place to another"

Apologies for being a bit thick - but what do you mean by that ...... do you mean you have to find a presentation/miming/reason/ choreography for the moments of transfer?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2016, ChrisPayne wrote:
Warren wrote

"you have to find a way to make the cards travel from one place to another"

Apologies for being a bit thick - but what do you mean by that ...... do you mean you have to find a presentation/miming/reason/ choreography for the moments of transfer?

Sorry I've only just spotted this post but to answer your question yes.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
(Sorry, Mr. Warren, I apologize. Missed your 'thank you', to me, April 05th..)

& you're very welcome!

Warmest regards,
Smile
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
Wesley James version.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2016, chappy wrote:
Warren,

Possibly, but my guess is they are quite different. While I used the above mentioned routine as a starting point, the resulting routine I perform ended up somewhere quite different. Here is a short description of some of the handling details that may help you compare them: From a borrowed, audience shuffled deck, a spectator removes twenty cards. They look at the first ten cards and simply think of one of them. The performer does not see the faces. The spectator holds onto the ten cards. The remaining ten cards are given to another spectator to hold. Without the spectator naming the thought of card, the performer retrieves the other (destination) packet, counts it to show that an extra (11th) card has "arrived". Without ever naming it, the card is given to the spectator to confirm that it is their thought of card.

If you have any interest it is published in The Devil's Staircase (2014).

Best,
Greg

Interesting that you say your routine is quite different from the original. These conditions are all satisfied by the original Brown routine, and subsequent, myriad variations by other magicians.

In fact, if memory serves, that's the exact effect offered by Brown, no? Minus, of course, his theatrical dressings.

Take care,
R
BigGamesJames
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of BigGamesJames
I never had s favorite until today. Woody Aragon performed it at the Magic Castle. It starts at the 1:25 mark. And there's a phenomenal moment in the middle of the routine that's a real fooler when the spectator counts the cards and it seems like Woody messed up. Then she counts them again. Check it out:

https://youtu.be/RAhYeAdh-Is
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What's the best Card's across routine you've ever seen? (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL