The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Microsoft XP and Word (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi. I have been running Microsoft Windows XP Home and am looking to upgrade to Windows 8.1, as recommended. In doing a scan to see system requirement compatibilities on my computer (desk top), it mentioned that my Word 97 is not compatible with 8.1. I realize it is an old version, but it worked fine so I never bothered to upgrade.

My first question is this: If I buy a current version of Word 2013, will I be able to access and use my old documents that were created in Word 97? I have TONS of them, and cannot afford to lose them.

Next, I also have an Epson flatbed scanner than is also not compatible. That sucks because I really don't want to have to buy a new scanner, especially since I just bought a fairly expensive printer about 2 months ago. Any recommendations on that?

Finally, is there anything I need to know about Windows 8.1 that any experienced users have noted?

If/when I do this, I'd rather do it all at one time, without any glitches and breaking stride with my business and my life.

Thanks!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Here's another suggestion. Upgrade to Windows7, not to 8.1.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
OK. I just looked to see what that might entail. I could find system requirements, but nothing that indicated if I can still use Word 97 or my Epson scanner.

I'm assuming I will still have to reinstall all my programs. I have an external hard drive, so my data should all be ok for later?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I agree with Bob, upgrade to Windows 7. I'm betting it will be a lot more friendly to your XP than Windows 8.1 I had 8 on my new laptop and then upgraded to 8.1 and in my opinion this version is the worst operating system MS has put out. Windows 2000 had problems, but 8.1 is a disaster. Just my opinion and my experience. I'm actually getting tired of MS continually fixing things that don't need to be fixed and my next computer will most likely be an Apple product.

As for you data Michael, your external hard drive should be secure with whatever you use in the MS format. Can't speak for Apple though.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks. I'll go see if I can get the product at Wal Mart or someplace.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I don't think Wal Mart sells systems. If they do, I doubt they sell Windows 7 as they'd want to sell the latest. This old hulk (IBM Thinkpad)that I'm typing on won't accept 8, I'm not that certain it will accept 7, it's that old. (I got it at Goodwill, I don't recommend the practice, for all it's usefulness, it's also given me a lot of grief reminding me of the old used car philosophy; "Buy a used car, buy someone else's problems."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Sorry to double post, but I just found out that walmart.com shows that we DO sell software packages;

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Wind......19581740

However I WAS correct in that the link shows that MY Walmart doesn't have this product. The website claims that the Walmart on the other side of town DOES have it, but they say that about EVERYTHING I've clicked on in electronics (I spent a day running the cash register in electronics at my Walmart and figured out how to work walmart.com to show if WE have something in stock and if not, who does. Everything I clicked on said it was at the Walmart across town which was odd because those people who've BEEN to that Walmart claim they never have anything!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
I'm still on XP :/

Won't be logging into important accounts until I get s system that will run win 7. I'm still on stone age system at the mo. I didn't want to chuck it until it goes dead.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Regardless of which operating system you use, you can stop using Word (and Excel and bla bla) by switching to Open Office. I did so nearly Two years ago, and have had no problems. It will read all your old documents (and you can save new documents in the 97 format, if you want), and does everything you need--for FREE. I highly recommend it.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree with Jeff. I stopped using Word for all of my eBooks years ago when I switched to Open Office. It is actually much better than Word, in my opinion.

And, as Jeff noted, it will handle virtually all of your documents, as well as do pdf conversions etc.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have WORD2000 on my computer. It saves documents in the .doc format.

Some of the newer versions of WORD save in .docx format, by default. (WORD2000 can't open a .docx file.) However, these newer versions of WORD can also save in a .doc format, and open documents in a .doc format (you have to search for it on the menu). I've used a newer version of WORD on my parent's computer, and was able to edit a .doc file.

Now, I don't know if this applies to the latest version of WORD, or just some of the versions that came after WORD2000. And I don't know the differences between WORD2000 and WORD97.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Same as Donald, I've had .docx sent to me, which I could not open. Sometimes it's a pain to get the sender to send it as a .pdf so I can read it.

I will check out Open Office. Thanks for the tip!

I checked Wally World and Best Buy today for Windows 7, but no luck. Looks like I will have to order it online.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
The Windows Easy Transfer utility will ensure that all of your documents and settings will be transferred over. You can get it here, install on XP, follow the instructions for your backup/restore, it should be fairly straight forward.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo......transfer

I may be mistaken, but it sounds like you're going to upgrade your machine to the newest OS. Be advised that, if you're using a Windows XP machine, you'll suffer a lot from performance degradation under Windows 7, and your machine might not be able to handle it. Also, if you decide to go down that path, you will not be able to purchase the Windows 7 upgrade (there is no straight upgrade path to Windows 7), you'd have to get the full-blown version.

As for DOCX files...Google Drive (formerly Google Docs) handles those easily.

If there's further questions or concerns, let me know...I've done not a few XP -> 7 migrations.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Josh,

You know way more about this than I do. I'm not sure what you mean by a Windows XP machine. I had this tower built about 5 years ago at a private-owned computer store, and the guy installed XP using my validation key from the old machine (which was a Gateway).

When I was at first looking at upgrading to Windows 8.1, I went straight to Microsoft's website. There was a way on there to check my computer to see if it was compatible with that. It was, except for the Word 97 and the Epson scanner.

So, at the suggestion of others to get Windows 7, I have now purchased this.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-Sy......indows+7

Please tell me I didn't just blow a hundred bucks.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Michael I think Josh may be talking about the "memory" of the machine and it's ability to perform Windows 7 functions. Or perhaps something to do with 32-bit or 64-bit systems. I know there's a difference, but I'm not sure that would create a problem for you. Your machine is only five years old so that's not really that old. If I'm right, you may need to add memory to your machine to increase it's capacity. I'm no expert, so maybe Josh can comment further. If it turns out to be a problem for you, you should be able to return the software for a refund. Keep us posted.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
If your machine is 5 years old, you might be okay. The link you posted is for a 64-bit version of Windows 7. If you have a 64-bit system, you'll be okay, if you meet the minimum system requirements, which are are 1 GHz processor, 2 GB of RAM, and 20 gigabytes of hard drive space (32-bit requires 1 GHz processor, 2 gig of RAM and 16 GB of hard disk space).

You can find out if your system meets these requirements by right-clicking the My Computer icon on your Desktop, choosing Properties and clicking the 'General' tab. Again, you'll probably be okay, just need to make sure you have a 64-bit processor. If not, Amazon is good about letting you cancel orders and get refunds.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
$#it Looks like I screwed up. Apparently my machine is 32 bit. I paid for overnight shipping so it's already on the way.

Should I go ahead and order the correct version, and then worry about returning the other? I just checked amazon's return/replace policy. I'll wait until the item has actually been delivered then re-order the correct one. Dang...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
There was an interesting article in Micromart about the whole upgrade issue....

Let's look at the Bogey Man...

Microsoft: You must upgrade, there are security issues in XP and we will stop producing patches
MicroMart: Well yes but anti virus vendors don't rely on software updates from MS anyway, and 400 million XP users is too big a market to ignore.

Microsoft: We will stop supporting it.
Micromart: Well they are still supporting server2000 (though not forever) which is almost the same, plus so many people have been using XP for so long you don't need MS anyway....someone somewhere will have the answer (google)

In a nutshell unless you want to play the latest games or use a touch screen you might want to think about whether you actually NEED to upgrade....and even if you do you could consider Android /Linux or other OS depending on your requirements.

I realise you have already bought Win 7 (which is a nice OS), but in case anyone else is thinking of upgrading I hope this helps,

Danny
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
My order hasn't even been delivered yet. Should I seriously consider just returning it, and waiting until I actually need to replace my computer?

At this point, I have no issues with my current OS... nor am I a gamer.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Michael,

Windows 7 will run all of the Office 97 components. If, because of some installation choices, there are any problems with that, Windows 7 has a "Run this program the way Windows XP does" type of thing for each program you install. That can help with other old programs too. I run Visio 4.0c, Cool Edit Pro 2.00, and Paint Shop Pro 4.12, among others with Windows 7 and they all run fine. I did have to find new drivers, and in one case a generic driver, for two of my printers: an older wide-carriage and a really expensive networked color laser. I really don't HAVE to use them on the W7 laptop, but now I can anyway.

As you can see, I'm not one to replace something that's working just for the sake of replacing something that's working. I have one laptop with Windows 7. My workhorse BUSINESS computers run Widows XP and will stay with that. I bought a full set of authentic Windows XP discs and all the upgrades, patches, etc.

I have other computers that are dedicated to specific tasks running a variety of OS from DOS to Windows 98. They do what they need to do and work without fail. I have no plans to go to Windows 8 unless I see a new program that I really need/want that only runs on Windows 8.

As you can see, I'm not the usual consumer. I base my hardware on what software I need to run.

Oh, one more thing: When I got the W7 laptop, it came with a time-limited version of Office (some number I can't recall.) I used it once and it changed all the associations of my Word, Excel, Access, and Power Point documents to run with it. I had to switch them all back and then deleted that new Office.

Just my experience,
David
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Microsoft XP and Word (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL