The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Microsoft XP and Word (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
My order hasn't even been delivered yet. Should I seriously consider just returning it, and waiting until I actually need to replace my computer?

At this point, I have no issues with my current OS... nor am I a gamer.

No, you want to install the 64 bit version of Windows 7. That way you can access all of the memory your system has installed. Currently you probably only have 4 gigs of memory, which was the maximum that XP 32 bit could see. You can most likely easily, and rather inexpensively up your memory to 8 or 16 gigs and the 64 bit Win 7 will be able to see all of it. Making your system run better. I have a nearly 10 year old PC which I increased the memory on and it runs 64 bit Win 7 just fine. There are of course some software issues with older programs that will not run under 64 bit systems. But you've got to upgrade everything sometime.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Now I'm even more confused...

I saw info on Microsoft's website that told how to check whether I had 32 bit or 64 bit. It said that if I had 64 bit, it would say that under system properties, but if it did not, then I had 32 bit.

I did a screen capture of this so you guys can see it. I also checked hard drive space and there is 365 GB of free space.

It does not indicate 64 bit anywhere in this info. Can I use the Windows 7 64 bit software that I ordered or not? If yes, what problems can I expect? If no, I intend to send it back.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
That's a 64 bit CPU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as......19116074

I suppose it's possible your motherboard is a 32 bit. I really don't know. We've reached the limit of my knowledge there. But you could just look it up to find out for sure.

Here's link about system requirements for Windows 7.
http://windows7.windowsreinstall.com/systemrequirements.htm

And a rather pessimistic, or practical depending on your point of view, article about making the upgrade on an older machine.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2139985/d......-pc.html

I'm leaning towards his suggestion in his last sentence there.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
OK, that helps. Thanks!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
You're welcome.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

My order hasn't even been delivered yet. Should I seriously consider just returning it, and waiting until I actually need to replace my computer?

At this point, I have no issues with my current OS... nor am I a gamer.

Personally, I'm not upgrading from XP until I need / purchase a new computer. And my current computer is still working just fine.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Same here. I've already repackaged the Windows 7 package for return shipment. I guess I fell into the hype. I'll just keep plugging along status quo, but setting aside for when I do need to buy a new computer.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
Now I'm even more confused...

I saw info on Microsoft's website that told how to check whether I had 32 bit or 64 bit. It said that if I had 64 bit, it would say that under system properties, but if it did not, then I had 32 bit.

I did a screen capture of this so you guys can see it. I also checked hard drive space and there is 365 GB of free space.

It does not indicate 64 bit anywhere in this info. Can I use the Windows 7 64 bit software that I ordered or not? If yes, what problems can I expect? If no, I intend to send it back.

Michael, not to add fuel to the fire, but I see from your data that you have service pack three as your latest update. Is that the latest one that was put out? I don't know, but, that might also be something to check into. Other service packs might be available for you to download from some provider, with or without Windows. Just tryin' to help here. Good luck.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
You have a 32 bit computer.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks, everyone. Further info and/or speculation isn't needed anymore, as I am returning the purchased software. I will simply hang in there with what I now have until I cannot.

I appreciate everyone's help!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
Regardless of which operating system you use, you can stop using Word (and Excel and bla bla) by switching to Open Office. I did so nearly Two years ago, and have had no problems. It will read all your old documents (and you can save new documents in the 97 format, if you want), and does everything you need--for FREE. I highly recommend it.

Totally Agree!!!!

I Started using Open Office about 10 years ago and have installed it in at least 6 old and new computers in those 10 years. Very stable program and my friends who use Word, don't have any problems reading my files.

The best part of open source is you can customize the program to your liking. You can't do that with Word unless maybe you're a Hacker.

Stable and Free! What more could one ask for?
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Microsoft XP and Word (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL