The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Back in magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
I have been on and off magic all my life. I have owned a few magic books including my favourite 'The Boys Book of Conjuring' (published in 1952). Now I have bought a few magic tricks but most of them turned me off magic. (This was by the descriptions been entirely different from the trick). Now I would like to start in magic once again. But my experience in magic is quite small. So I am asking you all to help and describe to me some good beginners books, videos, and tricks. I live in a small country town in Australia so I have to buy things by mail order, so I can't see the tricks in persone

Philip
J773
View Profile
New user
Belgium
56 Posts

Profile of J773
One thing you "forgot" to mention is which kind of magic you would like to perform.

Since I'm into card magic I can suggest some books

Royal Road to magic
Card College 1-5

They are both good for beginners
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I am a coin worker and if you are beginning magic I would suggest that you pick up "New Modern Coin Magic" by Bobo.

That will you so many sleights.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is a must. The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay is a brilliant book if you want to learn sleight of hand (this I recommend, as if works out cheaper and looks like real magic). Also for sleight of hand check out Bill Tarr's excellent books “Now You See It, Now You Don't” and “The Second Now You See It, Now You Don't”.
After these I recommend:
1. Modern Coin Magic - JB Bobo
If you like coins this book is a must and it's cheap.
2. Royal Road To Card Magic - Hugard and Braue/Card College-Roberto Giobbi. Card College is the set I recommend but RRTCM is cheaper and comes in one book.
3.Practical Mental Magic - Theo Annemann. Learn to read minds, do ESP and feats that astonish all with this cheap but amazing book.

These are a brilliant way to start again.
Enjoy
André
ajcombri@telkomsa.net
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
Philip,

If you want to see the tricks before you buy, and you don't mind buying from the US, http://www.penguinmagic.com has demos of lots of their stock. If you want to support the local industry, Sean from Taylor's Magic Shop in Sydney (www.taylorsmagicshop.com) has videos of some of the stock he sells (and if iprimus are too slow for you he'll send you a cd of the videos).

David.

PS: I too am into Astronomy, I've even written a few books about it. Which town are you in?
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
[quote]On 2004-01-10 03:29, J773 wrote:
One thing you "forgot" to mention is which kind of magic you would like to perform.

I prefer card magic, but any type especially close-up is good.
Regards Philip
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
The Royal Road to Card Magic is Fantastic.
As is Mark Wilson's "complete course in magic"
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1021 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
You can't go wrong with books. I have also been turned off by the "junk" out there. Unfortunately, much of the real good stuff is expensive. Of course, there are some real exceptions and reading this forum, especially "The Good, Bad, & the Garbage" section may help you.
As to books, definitely get Card College if the price of 5 books isn't overwhelming. Other suggested titles would include the "journal series" like Richard's Almanac and Apocalypse. Cheap paperbacks of classics like Royal Road to Card Magic, Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, Scarne on Card Tricks are good starters
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
Quote:
On 2004-01-10 20:36, ninjaduffy wrote:
The Royal Road to Card Magic is Fantastic.
As is Mark Wilson's "complete course in magic"

I have seen both those books on the internet on Australian magic shops and have read a very short review. But does anyone know more detail about it like the complexity of the tricks. Whether they are more advanced or ones which are like the ones out of childrens books.

Posted: Jan 11, 2004 9:26pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The books in Australia seem quite expensive

http://www.themagicstore.com.au/tricks.php?type=book

"Complete Course in Magic" by Mark Wilson sells for $49.95 (Australian)
is this the normal price.

Thanks. Philip
DouglasB
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of DouglasB
I like you have been in and out of magic most of my life. One set of books knowone has given you yet is the Tarbell Course in Magic. I have always gone back to them. Great magic (though some of it MAY seem outdated) any form of magic you want to learn something about is in there.
Smile
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
If the Tarbell books are to much as they were for me at this time. Check out Lybrary.com.
They have the complete set plus a graduate course on cd for $37.00.
I should have mine tomorrow and will update if anyone is interested.
Here is the link.

http://www.lybrary.com/index.html?goto=b......rse.html

Hope it helps someone
Nick Zender
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
I have been given quite a few book suggestions, but does anyone have any Video/DVD or trick suggestions. I have read a lot of the other posts but I am still looking for suggestions.

Quote:
On 2004-01-11 22:17, Aperazor wrote:
If the Tarbell books are to much as they were for me at this time. Check out Lybrary.com.
They have the complete set plus a graduate course on cd for $37.00.
I should have mine tomorrow and will update if anyone is interested.
Here is the link.

http://www.lybrary.com/index.html?goto=b......rse.html

Hope it helps someone
Nick Zender

Does anyone know where I find paper/hard back copies of these books in Australia and the price I would expect to pay. I really appreciate your comments
Thanks again for you help Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Back in magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL