The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Can I ask a Fish Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
I have a little gizmo to produce Fish. What is the best type of Fish to use in it?

Thank You!
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
Goldfish seem to be the standard, although other species can be used. The advantages of goldfish are the're very visible and can withstand being transported and being handled with a "gizmo" a lot better than most other fish.
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
For me the best are Betta Fish aka Siamese Fighting fish. Adaptation speaking they are used to living in rice paddies so they're use to living in lesser water conditions, they even have a proto-lung which allows them to take gulps of air from the surface so they can stay the longest in the gizmo. Also another reason is that they stay the right size their whole lives, I do a fish production routine and have used the same individual fish for 2 years. They're also the easiest to keep as they eat little and produce little waste and come in beautiful colors and plumages.

Goldfish are supposed to get 10 inches long and when they're kept in small bowls they either die from ammonia overdose or their bones stop growing but their internal organs continue so it's a sad existence for what's supposed to be a pond fish.

If it's close-up use a Betta. You'll have all your bases covered.
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
445 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Hi ihave,

I use a lot of fish in my act. For me, I only use one specific kind of goldfish. These are the "feeders" or "comets" as they are sometimes called at pet stores. These fish are meant to be fed to other fish, so using them for magic is a much better fate, at least in my opinion. They cost about .10 a piece and come in two or three different sizes. The size I get depends on the effect and how big they need to be to fit in certain places. I always get the largest ones I can that still allows the trick to work properly. Their color makes them extremely visible, even from quite a distance.

There are a few reasons I would never use a Betta in a trick. First, if you need to use more than one, you can't keep them together since they will kill each other. You would need separate bowls for each of them. This doesn't apply to the females, but since the females are very small and are not as pretty, most people don't buy them. Since I use several fish at a time and space is an issue, this is not an option for me for this very reason. If you only do carry one to a show and the fish happens to die, you are out of luck.

Second, contrary to popular belief, bettas should be kept in a tank with a heater, and their ideal water temperature is between 75 and 80 degrees. Goldfish, however, are a cold water fish and do not require a heater. It is also very bad for a betta to keep it in the tiny cups that they come in from the store, or a tiny fish bowl. Just because they CAN survive in those conditions doesn't mean that's how they should be kept.

Another reason goldfish are a better choice is the fact that they move around. Bettas tend to sit on the bottom of their tank a lot, where as goldfish are much more active and spend a lot of time moving very quickly around the bowl. This helps with visibility, and shows that these are real living fish.

Lastly and quite possibly most importantly, bettas are known for their large tails and fins as mentioned above. If you stick one of them inside a piece of apparatus, those fins are going to tear. If they tear, they will get infected and the fish will get sick and die if the water is not treated with medication. This problem is obviously reduced in goldfish since their fins are so much smaller.

I have been using goldfish routines for several years, and have been keeping bettas as pets for much longer than that, so I think these things are important to know.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Best,

Allen
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
445 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2014, Alexo wrote:

Goldfish are supposed to get 10 inches long and when they're kept in small bowls they either die from ammonia overdose or their bones stop growing but their internal organs continue so it's a sad existence for what's supposed to be a pond fish.

I would also like to point out that a goldfish growing only to the size of their enclosure is a very popular myth. I have never heard the part about their internal organs continuing to grow, but that is also not true. You should obviously have an appropriate enclosure for any kind of animal you keep though. This being said, the feeder goldfish from the pet store usually do not live to get very old. I had one that lived about 4 years once, but he was the only one out of hundreds and an extreme outlier.

Source: http://pets.thenest.com/goldfish-grow-si......831.html
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
What I meant by that is that even if their growth is stunted it's not good for the fish at all.
Another reason I steer clear of recommending them is that due to how inexpensive they are people tend to treat them like they're disposable. You and I know for optimum results they need a large filtered tank or even better a pond but many people get into the mind set that it's cheaper just to replace one than it is to get the right enclosure for them. You gotta keep in mind what people are most likely going to do rather than what they should do.

As far as the need for two at a show, for me I've never had a fish die on the way to or during a show so the problem never presented itself. I only do a single fish production and yes when not performing mine is kept in a heated tank.

As far as the gizmo goes yes Betta's fins would be more likely to tear (honestly I haven't had any instance of that) but they also are less likely to run out of oxygen due to the proto-lung, so I guess that's a wash.

I guess it comes down to personal experience and opinion and with me were always easier to work with and I can still count on one hand how many I've used since I started doing my routine. But that's just me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Can I ask a Fish Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL