The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Kn*wing G@me - Must See! (48 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:
<snip>
...If you recognize the principle, the prop hunt would be fun for your next visit to a large antique "mall."

Al I think this is what gave people the idea you might condone building your own props.
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Thanks for the text. I was unable to see it. I assume those who could not see it were not desirable to the evil spirit controlling the game. Only a select few were chosen.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, Godzilla wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2014, bobbyhasbun wrote:
Supporting creators is our only hope of keeping this golden age of bizarre magic alive. We need to reward creativity, not bypass it for the sake of fun. It's a very easy path to take, and we should be wary of its temptation. Certain products are more prone to this (the handmade ones); I don't think it's fair to simply "use" the backstory as if it's ours to take- completely ignoring the creator's hard work and deserved profit. /// Al: Nothing against you or your post. I realize you were just wondering how many people would do that. My point is: let's do everything we can NOT to condone it. As far as the game goes, it looks like an amazing piece of history. I look forward to the first reviews!

I agree with Bobby, on this.
The post was made, to make us aware of a release !
Not, here is a backstory for you to use.
We, need to support the Creator/Creators.
Or, learn how to create or own stories & effects !

Since only 23 sets will be available, I suppose support of this creator will end at that time. I am amazed at the price for all that is received.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
261 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
The word I got was that 9 sets are/were available immediately, with another 23 being prepared. I got my order in to reserve one and expect to have it within the week...!
I lot of time....many, many months totalling a year went into the total project. I am happy to compensate a creator who also spends the time and effort to research, find, collect and organize such a set, write a unique back story, and provide service on such a package, so I am enthusiastically awaiting this with much delight! Smile
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
horus1
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of horus1
Please write a review when you when you receive yours Doc Ben! The props and back story seem wonderful, but I'm not totally clear on what the effect is.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, Godzilla wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:
I wonder how many bizarrists and mentalist will simply try to assemble something with similar props and use the back story?

I, thought my post went along with this ?

I "wondered." I was not promoting this. Reading is comprehension.

Yes... reading is comprehension !
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5156 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I have one on order as well. A lot of potential here with other effects...Ash, Lillian's Jewelry Box.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
261 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I have one on order as well. A lot of potential here with other effects...Ash, Lillian's Jewelry Box.

Great suggestion, Wiz, as I have ASH on order, own Lil's D'ry and other routine packages from OA , Leb Circ, and Gemni so as of tomorrow when I pick up my Knwg Gme, I will have all revealed and also see the potentials....can't wait to explore and enjoy...! Smile
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2014, Doc Ben wrote:
Great suggestion, Wiz, as I have ASH on order, own Lil's D'ry and other routine packages from OA , Leb Circ, and Gemni so as of tomorrow when I pick up my Knwg Gme, I will have all revealed and also see the potentials....can't wait to explore and enjoy...! Smile

I look forward to reading your review Doc Ben!
horus1
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of horus1
I reached out to Ryden, the creator of the game and asked for more details about the effect. Below is his response!

"The Games effect is simple as it is a child's Game. By referring to the website you can see the gameboard and the game disc's laid out. The instruction cards ( the ones with the skull and top hat) are given a mix. One by one each instruction card is drawn and read giving specific directions on how many spaces to move the tin clown. Each time, the card predicts which space (disc) will not be landed on. No matter how hard the spectator tries they cannot land on that disc. That disc is removed and this process continues until only one disc remains. The final disc is predicted by the instruction cards and is a dark fortune (or lighter depending on the performance) Even though the cards were mixed at the beginning the outcome seems to be controlled by the evil spirit guiding the game. The instruction cards are whimsically poetic and creepy. Their clever rhymes keep the spectator engaged throughout the Game. Spectators always seem to feel they have played this Game before but deep down inside they know they haven't."
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
261 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Woo-hoo..! Got mind today...props are awesome and truly 90 % are genuine and make it a true "Hauntique". I will be doing a more complete review in a couple days or so,...not there is any huge time commitment to appreciete the contents and props or the effect and routine (it really does allow almost total "hands off " performance by the performer...but I am buying on this holiday weekend and I also may be able to come up with a spec or two to actually perform it. That way I can do a better review.
(but p.s.,......my 1st impression is,....buy it or you will soon regret waiting for every iota of info as it is limited to only 23, not 32 as I first thought!!!)
Smile Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5156 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
This took me totally off-guard. I expected something cool, interesting, and unique...but nothing so artistically and emotionally engaging. I unwrapped this...piece by piece, and couldn't believe the amount of attention paid to every nuanced detail. The antique props are cool...as one would expect...but the "antiqued" props are really, really nice. And the instructions at first glance, are well-written, accurately credited (as far as I can tell), and easy to follow. The whole of the effect is based on a classic principal, fairly credited in the instructions, and the effect goes on from there.

I'm not an expert on prop making, so take this for what it's worth, but when I unwrapped everything...including the ultra-creepy-clown-bank, I couldn't tell what was real and what was not. The cards and circular game pieces are simply perfect! Faded just right, and warped and wrinkled to perfection.

I love this, and really hope we see more from this artist.
themaurie
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of themaurie
Ordered! Very excited!

Cool guy too! Great to work with.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5156 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I agree with themaurie. Great communication from my preliminary requests for information through his follow-up inquiries regarding my satisfaction...and a seemingly very genuine interest in making sure this effect is well-received by our community.

I see quality here equal to some of the best in our craft, and I hope we see more from this artist.

(And I have no affiliation here whatsoever, except that of a happy customer).
themaurie
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of themaurie
Wizard of Oz is so right. Feel like we are part of the beginning of something really cool about to happen for Bizarre.

Also no affiliation- just a fan
themaurie
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of themaurie
Mine arrived today and all I can say is ... WOW! It totally exceeds my crazy high expectations. It's abundantly apparent that a lot of care, thought and love was put into each step towards the creation of this. It's very special and unique. It was a treat to unwrap and appreciate the detail put into each and every piece. It even smells right! The manual is a wonderful read filled with great ideas. So well done! It's an amazing work by a brilliant (and super cool) creator.

Don't know if any of the 23 are still available but if there are I'd recommend to act fast.

easily 10/10
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I just ordered the last complete set. Really looking forward to receiving this, I'll post a review when it arrives
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
piyuyu
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of piyuyu
Mine just arrived. I'm so glad I got this. Amazing amazing quality of work been put into this. There's even some documentation to supplement the artifact. Hope to see more stuff from the creator soon.
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
Looks like the reviews are in on the Kn*wing Game....and all the reviews are positive.
Well....not just positive, but Glowing.

Thanks to all who took that leap of faith, purchased, and let our bizarre community know about this new effect. This is what finally made me jump:

Quote:
On Apr 20, 2014, Doc Ben wrote:
Woo-hoo..! Got mind today...props are awesome and truly 90 % are genuine and make it a true "Hauntique".

Quote:
On Apr 20, 2014, Wizard of Oz wrote:
This took me totally off-guard. I expected something cool, interesting, and unique...but nothing so artistically and emotionally engaging.

Quote:
On Apr 25, 2014, themaurie wrote:
Mine arrived today and all I can say is ... WOW! It totally exceeds my crazy high expectations. It's abundantly apparent that a lot of care, thought and love was put into each step towards the creation of this. It's very special and unique. It was a treat to unwrap and appreciate the detail put into each and every piece. It even smells right! The manual is a wonderful read filled with great ideas. So well done! It's an amazing work by a brilliant (and super cool) creator.
Don't know if any of the 23 are still available but if there are I'd recommend to act fast.
easily 10/10

Quote:
On May 6, 2014, piyuyu wrote:
Mine just arrived. I'm so glad I got this. Amazing amazing quality of work been put into this.

I spoke to the creator and apparently this prop is very versatile and can be performed many different ways.

I just reserved mine and the creator mentioned he only has 2 games left to ship immediately (after that he is taking back-orders).

He also stated several people from the UK have inquired about it and he is going to make it available to the UK. Thought you might want to know in case you're on the fence with this one.

Can't wait for this to arrive. It's like being a kid again, the night before a very creepy Christmas.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Very impressed with the thought and detail that went into creating this set, from the esthetic look of the set, to the well conceived back story. I'm probably one of the toughest persons to please when it comes to authentic looking props, and I have to say that the game disks, cards and board look perfect, 100% believable. (And the rest of the props are true antiques). The look, feel and smell screams old old old.

Gave it a test drive with the wife tonight and the feedback was positive. The odd artifacts caught her curiosity immediately, and the historic concept of impoverished kids creating the game during WW II and the evil undertones caught her imagination.

The method is easy and self working. It's based on an old principle that mentalist and magicians have been putting to creative uses since it was first published in 1951. I have to give credit to the creators for adding a clever nuance to the method that is brilliant in its simplicity.

Next step will be to try it out on some friends after mulling over the presentation a little more. Particularly the interaction during game play as the veil is slowly lifted on the inevitability of their fate and the tone of the presentation grows darker. I'll also be giving some thought to what routine to follow this up with. While this can be presented as a short stand alone routine, I see it's best use as a transition piece that guides the spectator from innocent fun into spookier themes.

Bob
Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Kn*wing G@me - Must See! (48 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL