The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sponge balls retention vanish (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi all!
Trying to learn the move but having problems.
When I pull the sponge ball back and hide it in the hand after closing the other hand how do you actually transfer the ball from pinched position to finger palm?
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Surely curling your other fingers in will retain it in fingerpalm as you release with your index and thumb.

Use the old practice method of putting a wand/sharpie under your armpit, do the retention vanish as you reach for the sharpie and your hand will naturally take it into finger palam.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
As with any vanish, a good idea is also to practice the natural, real transfer many times to get the feel of what it "should" look like first is a good start. Then, determine what is necessary for the false transfer to look as similar as possible. Note also Al Schneider's discussion on making eye contact for misdirection as the move is made. The idea is for the moment of transfer to involve the periphery rather than direct vision, in my opinion.
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Have always gone into thumb palm after a sponge ball vanish. Holding the ball against the body with your wrist with your fingers free is a good place to go to after a vanish.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Generally, when I perform the retention vanish I like for people to be looking at my hand as I perform the vanish because that is where the magic is happening. I haven't really seen very many magicians use the retention vanish that I use, but it's effective, works, doesn't look un-natural and it's straightforward as if I was just merely placing a sponge ball in my hand. However, it also requires a great deal of practice to perform smoothly, naturally and convincingly. In some cases, it's good to make eye contact while performing a sleight of hand move as part of a trick. However, I think in this case, it's best that the audience focus of attention be on the sleight of hand move while you are doing it because that is where the magic is also taking place.

Given this is the case, it has to really look like you put the sponge ball in your hand. Which means, practice, practice, practice. I like to use a video camera for practice and rehearsal sessions, that I can focus my attention on the sleight of hand move while not having to look at a mirror at the same time to see if it looks natural. Probably a good idea is to actually place the sponge ball in your hand in a straightforward manner to see what it looks like and your retention vanish should look no different. You can review the video taping to see how your retention vanish looks like in comparison to actually placing the sponge ball in your hand. It took a great deal of time, practice and patience for my retention vanish to mirror and look like when I genuinely place a sponge ball in my hand.

A retention vanish is also a very basic move, yet it requires a great deal or practice and hard work to master and you wouldn't think it was a basic move when you are first learning and practicing it given the amount of time and patience it requires to get the vanish to the standard it needs to be for performing in front of an audience. I think the key to being a good magician is really focusing on the basics like a retention vanish and doing the basics very well to give you that firm foundation as a performer that performs miracles before an audience while entertaining them. The basics are very important and should never be neglected or short changed or their importance under-estimated.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Montana,

I may have a solution to your issue. Do you Skype or FaceTime? I'd be happy to session with you on it. Let me know...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Gary darwin has some excellent variations of the move on sponge by jay noblezada
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
Study videos of Goshman doing sponge balls. He never does the awful "retention pass setup" (ie, that visual beat some magi take when the display the ball on their palm shortly before closing the hand - ugh.) Goshman doesn't even think about it... he simply puts the ball in his hand and that's that. Beautiful and perfect.
Magic & Mentalism
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Jim Vines, you nailed something I've said for years... most false transfers fail because of what I call the wind-up and the pitch. The wind-up alerts the audience that something is about to happens... and then lo & behold... it does! Avoid telegraphing the move by just doing it. Same thing with balls, coins, etc. The wind-up before the pitch is second only in bad actions to hand-washing. (It takes old farts like us to know that! Smile )
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Gee Michael! I just tuned in! I didn't know I was an "OF"! Hekk,I'm only 82!

Howsomever (that sounds like Hop A Long Cassidy's old side kick!) I agree most wholeheartedly with Jim Vines' appreciation of Al's thinking--and handling--of "them there sponge balls".

And that means that "ye and me" are in total agreement. Yes, I like your "wind-up and pitch" description! The same applies with the venerable French Drop.

Why do "they" always pick up the coin from the table and place it carefully between the fingers and thumb of the right hand--and THEN remove it with the left hand? Talk about "bending your knees" before you jump!

Of course, "hand washing" follows right behind the wind up & pitch! My mentors always told me to wash my hand BEFORE the show, not DURING!

Speaking of washing hands:

My mother always asked me: "Did you wash your hands? --Both of them? --On both sides? --Today? --With soap? I had the cleanest hands of any kid in town.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S. Michael, if you keep using Biblical references like "Lo & Behold" (hee hee) you may begin quoting the "goddess Maja" (Hee Hee Hee)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1213 Posts

Profile of APC
Video is private :/

Would love to see it!
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Watch lots of other performers do it and then video tape your self doing it.
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2014, APC wrote:
Video is private :/

Would love to see it!

Yeah me too, its still private ? Smile
Greg_Magic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Greg_Magic
Going along with General_Magician...I also started out by really putting the ball in my hand and really looking at what it looks like. Then I mimic that action when doing the retention. Also, a key point in misdirection is to look where you want the spectator to look. You need the spectator to look at the hand that you want them to THINK the ball is in so you have to lead them do to so by looking at your closed fist with nothing in it. It's weird at first but the more you practice the easier it will get. I hope this helps.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
OK...video should now be good to go.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On May 19, 2014, eatonmagic wrote:

If you like this, do yourself a favour and pick up Michael's Penguin live lecture.
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
Quote:
On May 19, 2014, puggo wrote:
Quote:

If you like this, do yourself a favour and pick up Michael's Penguin live lecture.

I do like it, especially that last move, that's just great!
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:

That was fantastic!
Thank you so much for taking the time to make the video.

Your vanish looks amazing, it fooled me over and over again. The retention of vision is perfect!
I really like that it looks convincing when seated. Do you cover the move in your penguin lecture?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sponge balls retention vanish (20 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL