The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Do any expanded shells actually sound / feel like the real coin? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
The shell I received with Imagination Coins is actually quite good. Better than the two quarter shells I have from Johnson and the one I have from Tango. I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

Bart, you won't see any that sound or feel right when examined/handled by a spectator. This gaff wasn’t meant to be handled in such a way. Yet in most coin workers' hands it is one of the most deceptive props around. I watched most of the rest of the DVD earlier and to be honest the instructions to the spectator - as taught by Garrett - are excellent and should help to prevent the spectator from noticing anything is up with regard to the gaff.

I do agree completely with Tom that this routine is "fraught with peril" in that if a spectator does notice the gaff there really are no "outs". You are caught, plain and simple. However most experienced coin workers should be able to handle the gaff and manage the spectator effectively enough to swing it. On the other hand, I did see many post that they haven't done any or very little coin magic but that thie routine "looks so easy" that they should have no problems. Ha! Look out! Consider a coin magician who hasn’t performed card magic, seeing an effect in which a great card magic creator uses the DL, making it look too easy. THey might be fooled into thinking they can pull that off without really learning the nuances or practicing over and over and over. They will likely make a mess of it. Might even be tempted to say that the cards or teaching was inadequate!

The moral here is... If a new effect contains some magic you have not done before, it ain't gonna be that darned easy to pick up! It'll take time, attention, and practice like always.

Thanks!

Jim
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Jim You are so right!!! A lot of people think " O it's A gaff so it's EASY!!!" That is not True!!! It takes as much Work To handle a gaff right A it does to do S.O.H. ! And if you are combining them With S.O.H. Maybe more! Smile I know I have been trying to do it for 45 Years!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2014, J-Mac wrote:
The shell I received with Imagination Coins is actually quite good. Better than the two quarter shells I have from Johnson and the one I have from Tango. I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

Bart, you won't see any that sound or feel right when examined/handled by a spectator. This gaff wasn’t meant to be handled in such a way. Yet in most coin workers' hands it is one of the most deceptive props around. I watched most of the rest of the DVD earlier and to be honest the instructions to the spectator - as taught by Garrett - are excellent and should help to prevent the spectator from noticing anything is up with regard to the gaff.

I do agree completely with Tom that this routine is "fraught with peril" in that if a spectator does notice the gaff there really are no "outs". You are caught, plain and simple. However most experienced coin workers should be able to handle the gaff and manage the spectator effectively enough to swing it. On the other hand, I did see many post that they haven't done any or very little coin magic but that thie routine "looks so easy" that they should have no problems. Ha! Look out! Consider a coin magician who hasn’t performed card magic, seeing an effect in which a great card magic creator uses the DL, making it look too easy. THey might be fooled into thinking they can pull that off without really learning the nuances or practicing over and over and over. They will likely make a mess of it. Might even be tempted to say that the cards or teaching was inadequate!

The moral here is... If a new effect contains some magic you have not done before, it ain't gonna be that darned easy to pick up! It'll take time, attention, and practice like always.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim,

Well said!

In the Latest and Greatest thread, I had actually said that some parts of this didn't look easy to me at all, but many people are saying it's easy and that even people who have never done coins can do this very easily. I should have known better Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
AFA noise, I just think you need more practice. The shell doesn't need to sound like a real coin because it shouldn't be talking anyway if handled properly.
No shells sound like actual coins when clinked. That would be like expecting a die box shell to sound like a large solid block of wood. It could probably be made to sound the same but you would have to sacrifice too many other things in return. Its all about trade-offs. Better to learn to eliminate any telltale sounds and have a very deceptive shell.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
I find that a little pressure in the right place will deaden the sound, so if I stack the coins, should not be an issue for the first phase even though both trailers (the second one with Dan Harlan at Penguin), and the part that they show on the WPR, all have the spectator stacking the coins in both phases.

I think that some sound is more natural than if I stacked the coins and there was no sound at all. In terms of the shell being lighter, can't do much about that if the spectator notices even when they pick it up as instructed. Just have to hope that they don't stop the routine before it's back in my hand and vanished, at which point it obviously won't be an issue.
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
The visual aspect of the routine should outweigh the audial aspect. If your routine is strong enough visually, the audience shouldn't be focused on the sound. This applies to the other senses as well (such as the feel of the coins in their hands), but I don't recommend letting the audience tasting or smelling the coins... This doesn't mean you should try to cover the sound, but you don't need to make it completely silent (the shell's sound). Its a matter of directing attention to where you want it as well as being competent, confident and comfortable in what you are doing
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
Oh also, with regards to the weight of the coin, the audience won't/shouldn't be able to tell the difference by holding it from the edges.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
As far as having a spectator handle a shell, you need to decide if anything is gained by this. Does it really add anything to your routine? Or is it really the case of the magician getting some kind of secret satisfaction in doing so?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2014, Ray Haining wrote:
As far as having a spectator handle a shell, you need to decide if anything is gained by this. Does it really add anything to your routine? Or is it really the case of the magician getting some kind of secret satisfaction in doing so?

Ray,

Gee, maybe just a little condescending? "...secret satisfaction.." Really?!

FYI, the comments in this thread are with regard to Garrett Thomas's Imagination Coins, which doesn’t involve specifically handing any gaffs to spectators, but does involve performing parts of the routine in the spectator's hands. I believe that is what the above comments reference.

So to your last comment... no. No one here is getting "some kind of secret satisfaction" from this.

:)

Jim
AaronSterling
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2014, barts185 wrote:
Since I had not done much coin work, and very little with gimmicks, she really did not know about an expanded shell. Maybe doing it in our quiet living room wasn't the best choice of venue. But, after going through the routine, her comments were:

1) As soon as she stacked the coins in her hand, it sounded odd.

2) When she handed me the coin, she didn't think it felt like a real quarter.

Does anyone else have issues with this? Are there expanded shells that you would recommend?

Thanks.

I think you pinpointed the source of your problem in the first line. There's a principle, which I think I first saw in one of the Vernon/Ganson books, that the better you are at sleight-of-hand, the better you can sell "self-working" tricks.

That might sound ridiculous, but I've definitely found it to be true for me. I'm no monster, but I've put in some practice time. And that card trick you learn when you're 8 years old? Look at the bottom card, make sure it stays next to the spectator's card, reveal the spectator's card? I can sell that pretty well, because I *don't have to use that method*, so I'm not feeling guilty about pretending to be magical when I'm really not.

This advice might annoy you, because if you follow it, you'll have to put in serious work. But I think what you should do is to work on an ungimmicked 4-coin coins across routine, until you're able to sell that. Only add gimmicks afterward, to take things to the next level of impossible.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

NO!!! That's not ridiculous At all! That's What I have been saying for the last 45 years! The old masters used to say "The Only one who can Really get Away with The Judicious use of a Gimmick is Someone who does not Need One" So Yea Learn your S.O.H. 1 ST. Then when you handle a Gaff If will fell free and easy! And you won't be saying to yourself! " OMG I got this thing On the Table! I hope no one see's it" Smile And Then when you Combine S.O.H. Wit a gaff You will get the best of Both Worlds! They will say It can't be A gaff because he did this! And It Can't be S.O.H. Because He did this! SOOOO It MUST be MAGIC!!! Smile Ok that's my 2 Cent's!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
J-Mac,

Nothing condescending here. As magicians, all of our moves are secret (or are supposed to be), and if performed properly, we get satisfaction, don't we? Sometimes more than others. When we have a spectator handle a gaff and they are completely unaware of the fact, is that not (secretly) satisfying?

I went back over the review of this routine (the two-part version). In the second part, the spectator hands the gaff to the magician, no?

Much of magic is illogical. If we were really able to vanish a coin, why would we first put it into our closed hand? Why not just lay the coin on our palm, snap our fingers and have the coin vanish right in front of our eyes?

Some magic is more illogical than others. I can't see the point of putting FOUR coins in a person's hand to make just ONE coin disappear/appear. (Again, I'm talking about the two-part version.)
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

I always Use it As a Joke! ( I use it as the last coin in a 4 coins across to there hand! )" Look The last coin will Jump from My hand to yours" Then I place the last coin in there hand! ( Ha-Ha) THEN you come back And say Ok I will do it for Real! Smile THEN you take it back out, Have then close there hand, Vanish the coin, And it's back in there closed fist! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Do any expanded shells actually sound / feel like the real coin? (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL