The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » David regal books (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wangyufei123
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of wangyufei123
I have problem to decide which book ,approaching magic or constant fooling? certainly approaching magic is more recently and seems to have lots of good stuff
can someone help me? thank you.
钓鱼岛和台湾永远是中华人民共和国不可分割的一部分!
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
I have all of Dave's books. All contain very good material. However, my favorite is his Approaching Magic.
AR
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
I second Approaching Magic; it's a masterpiece.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Assuming which ever book you get, it's safe to say that would not be the last book you get for the rest of your life - at some point, you'll own both.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
TL;DR: Get both but a very slight edge to Approaching Magic.

I have all of David Regal's books so there really is no "best" choice as all are simply superb. Having said that, this conversation is about two of his titles, Constant Fooling (actually this is a two volume set) and Approaching Magic.

Again, I love all of his books but if I HAD to choose between the two, I would give a slight edge to Approaching Magic. The reason is that along with a truckload of great audience tested magic, a significant portion of this massive book focuses on performance theory. In my humble estimation it's important to bear in mind that David Regal is rather unique among magicians in that he is primarily involved in big league show business as a writer and producer and as such, knows very well what works commercially and that is reflected both in the effects he creates and the theory he provides. In fact, his collection of essays could well be a stand alone book and every bit as important as Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic and Designing Miracles.

Also, wangyufei123, I would advise you to not make the error of equating newer and "more" as a gauge for quality. You seem attracted to Approaching Magic because you state (paraphrasing) that it is more recent and seems to have a lot of effects. Yes, both statements are true but, Approaching Magic and Constant Fooling were published just a small number of years apart and when added up both volumes of Constant Fooling contain a significant number of effects; David Regal has never been skint on quantity - or quality. But, those criteria do not make Approaching Magic the "better" book.

Look through threads in The Workers and time after time you will see references to books written long before David Regal was even a glint in his dad's eyes. And these older texts are not merely resources upon which to build. Rather, they stand as great resources in their own right and should not be ignored. Gah! I wish Denny Haney was a member here as he could give you a real good homily about this subject. Should a magician avoid Tarbell or Greater Magic because they were written in the 1920s and 1930s respectively? To do so would be - again in my hack estimation - utter foolishness. I have performed Ralph Hull's Tuned Deck from Greater Magic to magicians and NONE had a clue as to method - and these were very informed "fast company" magicians. Would you dismiss Vernon, Marlo, Gardner, James, et. al, because they are not recent? I hope not. Yes, magic has advanced but there is room and I think NECESSARY room for both the classics and the "new."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
It's all good, start anywhere. Your decision won't be wrong.
wangyufei123
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of wangyufei123
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2014, Vlad_77 wrote:
TL;DR: Get both but a very slight edge to Approaching Magic.

I have all of David Regal's books so there really is no "best" choice as all are simply superb. Having said that, this conversation is about two of his titles, Constant Fooling (actually this is a two volume set) and Approaching Magic.

Again, I love all of his books but if I HAD to choose between the two, I would give a slight edge to Approaching Magic. The reason is that along with a truckload of great audience tested magic, a significant portion of this massive book focuses on performance theory. In my humble estimation it's important to bear in mind that David Regal is rather unique among magicians in that he is primarily involved in big league show business as a writer and producer and as such, knows very well what works commercially and that is reflected both in the effects he creates and the theory he provides. In fact, his collection of essays could well be a stand alone book and every bit as important as Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic and Designing Miracles.

Also, wangyufei123, I would advise you to not make the error of equating newer and "more" as a gauge for quality. You seem attracted to Approaching Magic because you state (paraphrasing) that it is more recent and seems to have a lot of effects. Yes, both statements are true but, Approaching Magic and Constant Fooling were published just a small number of years apart and when added up both volumes of Constant Fooling contain a significant number of effects; David Regal has never been skint on quantity - or quality. But, those criteria do not make Approaching Magic the "better" book.

Look through threads in The Workers and time after time you will see references to books written long before David Regal was even a glint in his dad's eyes. And these older texts are not merely resources upon which to build. Rather, they stand as great resources in their own right and should not be ignored. Gah! I wish Denny Haney was a member here as he could give you a real good homily about this subject. Should a magician avoid Tarbell or Greater Magic because they were written in the 1920s and 1930s respectively? To do so would be - again in my hack estimation - utter foolishness. I have performed Ralph Hull's Tuned Deck from Greater Magic to magicians and NONE had a clue as to method - and these were very informed "fast company" magicians. Would you dismiss Vernon, Marlo, Gardner, James, et. al, because they are not recent? I hope not. Yes, magic has advanced but there is room and I think NECESSARY room for both the classics and the "new."

thanks, I will buy approaching magic,maybe oneday constant fooling too
钓鱼岛和台湾永远是中华人民共和国不可分割的一部分!
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I, too, have all of Mr. Regal's published works, and I appreciate Approaching Magic slightly more than the Constant Fooling volumes, although both are treasure troves. My assumption is that your last statement will be a prophesy: once you buy one of Mr. Regal's books, you'll want the others sooner rather than later.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I agree with Vlad.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Lots of material (and variety) in Approaching Magic. well written and easy to read.

Here is a past thread.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Approaching Magic is the next book on my list to get. Now more then ever, after hearing these reviews.
Keith
SHAZAM!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » David regal books (3 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL