The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Do the Shells Have to Match? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jbohn
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapoils, MN
102 Posts

Profile of jbohn
No matter what shell design one uses, the gross mechanics are the same - the pea is stolen from one shell, and loaded under another. And pretty much everyone old enough to leave school knows that.

The specific, fine mechanics are somewhat different depending on shell/cap/etc. design, but that doesn't change the essential nature of the trick - it's a scam, pure and simple. The spectator is led down the garden path of thinking they can spot the moves, that they can outwit the con man/magician/guy in the parking ramp at his own game. As silverking put it, simple hubris. The magician can choose to handle the presentation in a variety of ways, from confrontation/competition (a la Phil Cass) to gentle, humorous warning not to play for money (a la Bob Sheets), to pure display of sleight of hand skill (a la Glenn Bishop) but the game remains the same. None of the innovations in shell design (and recent years have seen some wonderful innovations and refinements) fundamentally changes that.

Everyone has their own style of presentation - some folks love a final load at the end of the shell game, while I think it just becomes a variation on cups and balls and loses its impact with a final load. To each their own, really. I know that for me, personally, the reaction of folks who know how it's done, but can't follow it anyway, works.

To get back on topic- no reason the shells would necessarily have to match, really. Having the same/similar shape makes handling without thinking about it easier, though, and may be visually more confusing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Do the Shells Have to Match? (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL