The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Salvano - Best Magician in the world!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2005-02-09 07:54, maylor wrote:
Is Salvano the one who produces lost of glasses of drink in his act? I saw this on a highlights DVD of FISM 2000. I think it was him. It didn't do much for me, but I guess it's just a question of taste.

maylor was unlucky that he saw Salvano performed in very bad condition. The performer in that show performed out side and the day was very windy. The show was disaster. Please find another video to see Salvano in good condition. If you won't like him though, I think you have a very bad taste.

Hideo Kato

P.S.
Although I think Salvano is one of world bests, there are many bests. Most of you don't know Ken Littlewood from Australia who worked mainly in Australia and Japan. He is also one of the bests.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-02-09 09:40, Hideo Kato wrote:
... Most of you don't know Ken Littlewood from Australia who worked mainly in Australia and Japan. He is also one of the bests.
Ken Littlewood...
I recall the name and a story, but unfortunately I never have seen him perform Smile Smile Smile

I think, it was Ken Littlewood who once said, he always was on the road, living from a suitcase, not having any friends due to all this, and his only pleasure, once in a while, was to pinch some showgirls in the butt....
I 'think' he was the one telling that little story, but I also think it was years back..
Actually his name never appears anywhere..

I suppose he's one of those being on the road constantly, earning a living..that -if ones mind is working well- usually makes a hell of a performer, the kind of commercial and entertaining performers like Cellini and Gazzo...

An overlooked Australian too, is a guy with the name of Leo Ward .
Nothing earthshattering, but a very pleasing and smooth act..
Once even appearing as a Street performer at Englands Covent Garden..

There are so many good magicians out there that don't frequent magic circles because of they are busy GTM and making a living.
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
toonomads
View Profile
Regular user
Albuquerque, NM, USA
172 Posts

Profile of toonomads
Years ago when I was just rediscovering magic as an adult, the magic dealer who guided my interest loaned me a video of Salvano and indicated that he was one of the great modern masters. At a FISM 2000 seminar that I attended, Juan Tamariz referred to to Rene Lavand and Salvano as great artists. Salvano, as I understand it, stepped in for Fred Kaps in Monte Carlo upon Kaps' death.

I was fortunate enough to spend a whole day with Salvano. There was no particular reason for him to take time with me. I am twenty years his junior and certainly nothing special as a magician. But, I guess, we connected on a human level. He did have a profound influence on me even though I am a close-up guy and not a stage performer.

He is certainly one of my all-time favorites. A great performer and a gentleman.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-02-10 05:46, toonomads wrote:
....Salvano, as I understand it, stepped in for Fred Kaps in Monte Carlo upon Kaps' death.
Yes, I recall, that was Loews Hotel in Monte-Carlo, where FK was booked and unfortunately couldn't fullfill his engagement Smile

Salvano IS one of the great´s..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
2001 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2005-02-09 07:49, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-02-09 04:50, sirbrad wrote:
Who??
No problem..
I've neither ever heard of Harry Houdini nor Bert Allerton.. Smile

Houdini, hmmmm does ring a bell. To me though he sounds like some Jean Eugene Robert-Houdin wannabe. I am sure this Houdini is a decent performer though.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Mr.P
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Mr.P
See Salvano in a theatre, or a night club, it's a dream, timing, movement, presence, he has it all, one of the very finest magic acts of all time, perfection!
If you don't like him, you need another hobby!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24226 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-01-11 21:48, landmark wrote:
Click Here!

Jack

This is probably in PAL format. If so, it won't work on US video equipment.

Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:58pm
---------------------------------------------
Salvano is one of the great thinkers in magic. I have his video on IT work. Good stuff.

Someone should check with Irene Larsen to see if the story about the hand kissing is true. While it would be out of character for the Professor, it could have happened.

Here are a couple of things to think about.

One is that we Americans and displaced Europeans who live on this side of the pond tend to be somewhat conceited about our place in magic. Some of us would like to think that the world of magic revolves around us, that all the major discoveries are done here and the rest of the world doesn't count. This can lead to major problems.

I know of a situation right now, in which a European performer improved a coin gimmick. Despite warnings from another performer, he showed it to a fellow who lives in the States. This fellow showed it to a friend who is now marketing it.

However, the inventor gave permission to another fellow in Europe to make the gimmick. Now, the European, who has the real rights to the gimmick, is being called a knock-off artist. The American producer of the gimmick thinks he has the rights, because he doesn't know where his friend got the idea from.

We do the same thing about magicians. We know a handful of European magicians, such as Tommy Wonder and Dirk Losander. There are lots of other magicians who are just as good over there -- Topas, Jerome Murat -- I could name more.

We need to get out more! Smile

While I would be very uncomfortable saying that Salvano is the world's best magician, I would not be uncomfortable saying that he is one of the world's best magicians.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Igor
View Profile
New user
Rochester, NY / Chicago, IL
8 Posts

Profile of Igor
Dear friends,
I am glad to see so many interesting comments.
After thoughtful discussion, I would agree with most of you.
There is no such things as the best or the greatest.

What's the most important aspect of Salvano's exceptional intellectuality and
creativity in magic is his charm and elegance.

He is amazing not only on the stage.
In the early 1960s Salvano performed grand illusions and toured all around
with his "Theater of Magic". In close-up magic, his handling of the well-known
gimmicks and the magic using an ordinary props look like a small miracles.
Finally, the very famous "Salvano" magic act with wine glasses,
bottles, silks, cigarettes and card manipulations. It is a dream-act!

Unfortunately, we don't have a privilege to know all of that.
By posting this topic at the Magic Café Forum, I would like to encourage
all of you to go further and "investigate" works of this great master.
Salvano is acknowledged and undoubted master of the art of illusion.

Bill Palmer: I like your thoughts very much. I study in U.S.
since August 2005 but I have lived all my life in Poland. The cultural
difference is a significant matter. The same think happens among magicians.
We have to be careful not to become isolated from the rest of the world
and being able to look what's on the another side of the ocean Smile
The truth is that great artists are born anywhere.

The story about the hand kissing is true.
I hope someone would be able to check the story at Magic Castle.

Sincerly,
Igor Lipinski
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24226 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The verification would have to come directly from Irene Larsen. She is the only one left alive who witnessed it, who is still at the castle.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27019 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yeah, and sure there were some pretty amazing cave men too. Would you believe those famous cave paintings in France were left by one guy doing his act there one night? Rumor has it the figures in the paintings moved when he commanded. Disney and others have tried to duplicate the effect in their movies.

Taking a moment to open the doors to our awareness of folks outside of our own country... we have the internet today and great places like youtube to post performance clips. Seems a good idea to have video calling cards of that sort.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I saw Salvano in 2003, whwen I was 14, and I guess I was simply too young to appreciate him, as I seem to remember finding the act a bit dull. These comments sadly were echoed by my family, classical manipulation like Kaps and Salvano no longer appeal to a modern day audience.
Despite this, I still recall an incrediable amount of detail from the act, the wine glass shaped table, and the massive amounts of wine glasses produced, which now knowledgab;e of the methodology and mechanics behind the magic only seem more impossible, espescially seeing hat I have dabbled with the odd wine glass production.
He was the performer that I least liked, yet for some strange reason his is the only performancer that really still sticks in my head.
Strange that
Nick
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
It is one of the most amazing acts I have ever seen. I have a copy of his act I bought from Steves Magic. The flawless and effortless magic he created is art.

David
apoman
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of apoman
I had the pleasure of seeing and meeting Salvano back in 1978 at the IBM's British Ring No. 25 Annual Convention. He was nothing less than sensational on stage and genuinely nice off stage. He finished his act with stretching a white silk scarf, which was around his neck all during his act, across the entire stage - yards and yards of cloth - a class act indeed! Does anyone know if he still performs or where he resides?
ChinaMan
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of ChinaMan
Hi Apoman,

I am sad and sorry to say that Mr. Salvano passed away last April. Yes, I agree with you... Mr. Salvano is one of the Best Performer and a Gentleman off stage.

The ChinaMan
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Loyal user
Flint, Mi.
284 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
I stumbled across this thread and had to write... I bought a box of old videos form a dealer at The Abbotts Get-together a few yrs ago. As I work in my basement, cleaning, or messing it up..LOL... I pop in a video and watch and listen as I work. Most have been very bad, some avg, some good. One day I was down stairs and I poped in a video, as I worked I looked over and instantly was drawn to the performance. I couldn't do anything but sit down and watch.. It was flawless. I had no idea who Salvano was, or have never heard of him, so this performance stood only on it's own measure. IT WAS FANTASTIC! I turned off the T.V. and told myself, I just watched one of the best magic performances I have ever seen. A few weeks later I was at the Davide Costi lecture at the Abbotts Close up convention. I still had Salvano's magic on my brain, and I asked Davide if he had ever heard of him. His jaw dropped and he said, "You don't know who Salvano is?" I told him no, but I seen his video and was captivated by his smooth, calm, entertaining magic. Davide said, it doesn't get any better... You just watch one of the all time masters at work.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents....
Be Young...Have Fun!
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
I believe the last public performance of Salvano was in Spain in 2004. I had the pleasure to translate for him during part of his visit. It was the second time I saw him live. Although he was very ill by then, his performance received an standing ovation...as always.

He was a true artist and a pleasure to talk with. In that ocassion he shared stage with John Calvert, Rene Lavand and Edernak from France. What a great show!!! probably among the best I have ever seen.

For those who never saw him I highly recommend getting all his videos. Specially his lectures on the TT. The one from McMillan videos is very entertaining.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
This is the first I've heard of Silvano, but I had also never heard of Del Ray before I was wowed by both his platform and close-up routines.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
phaddad2
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of phaddad2
His video on the use of the TT is really good. Had a veteran of the local club I belong to show it to me a long time ago . WOW
Pete
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
Still no confirmation on the Dai Vernon story though... I have to admit his take on the dancing cane is the best I've seen. I hate the dancing cane cause it looks ridiculous but in his hands it really looked real. I saw his act when he did it on Paul Daniels. Amazing act to say the least.

Andre
Any day I'm walking on top of the grass instead of looking up at the roots is a good day!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6218 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2007-01-30 17:32, Nick Wait wrote:
I saw Salvano in 2003, whwen I was 14, and I guess I was simply too young to appreciate him, as I seem to remember finding the act a bit dull. These comments sadly were echoed by my family, classical manipulation like Kaps and Salvano no longer appeal to a modern day audience.
Despite this, I still recall an incrediable amount of detail from the act, the wine glass shaped table, and the massive amounts of wine glasses produced, which now knowledgab;e of the methodology and mechanics behind the magic only seem more impossible, espescially seeing hat I have dabbled with the odd wine glass production.
He was the performer that I least liked, yet for some strange reason his is the only performancer that really still sticks in my head.
Strange that
Nick

You are terribly mistaken.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Salvano - Best Magician in the world!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL