The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Only a little question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
I'm a practising mentalist and I was just wondering what the main difference is between Mentalism and Bizzare magic??
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Bizarre tends to use the Paranormal and strange events. Mentalism is more reading minds (yes...that is paranormal...but not ghostly or anything).
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Cheers, so would a bizzare magician use mentalism effects as well as magical effects or just one exclusively. Smile
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
MindExplosion
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of MindExplosion
The site http://www.dragonskull.co.uk has a number of opinions of what bizarre magick is. This might help you in getting a feel for it and what differences there are between bizarre magick and mentalism.

And bizarre magick need not be strictly mental effects or strictly magical effects. There's no reason a bizarre magickian can't mix and match -- what makes bizarre magick what it is, is the presentation and meaning to the magic.
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Cheers,thats actually quite a good site. If a little cheap looking.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I think mentalism adds a great element into the bizarre.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I've often felt that Bizzare Magic, as a term, can be a rather broad idea. It can include mentalism, PK, escapism and even a little geek magic. In many ways, I've been morphing into a Bizzarist just from my own personal interests and from what I feel is amazing.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Bizarre magic and mentalism are related closely enough that both are represented in the Psychic Entertainers Association (PEA). At their convention, the Meeting of the Minds, there is usually one bizarrist show period, usually consisting of close-up bizarre magic.

When properly presented, both of these fields strive for an audience theatrical experience (and perhaps an emotional one as well), rather than challenging them to figure out how the tricks work, which is unfortunately how some conventional magicians approach the craft.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-01-10 20:58, Xia wrote:
I'm a practising mentalist and I was just wondering what the main difference is between Mentalism and Bizzare magic??

Bizarre magic is a very broad field. The early practitioners, such as Charles Cameron and Tony Andruzzi sought various goals. One was to cause "phenomena." Another was to link magic to ritual once more. Another was to scare the bejesus out of people.

Mentalism can fit into a bizarre presentation quite well, but is only one aspect of it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The late and brilliant Gene Poinc, in his bizarre lecture and on the Dragonskull site, said:
"The majority of magicians and lay people, have a misconception of the word bizarre. They equate it with soul selling, demons, witches, ghosties and ghastlies and things that go bump in the night, other than one's lover. Compounding the problem, contributing to the onus on the word are some of the bizarre performers who are never offstage. They ever play the 'mysterious' role, dress the part: all in black, wearing silver pentagrams, skull rings, all the 'weird' stage trappings that should have been left backstage after the performance."

In my own first lecture on bizarre, I point out that bizarre magic is not necessarily ghoulish, ghostly, or ghastly but it must touch the spectator at a higher emotional level.

In fact, you can do bizarre comedy (if that's not an oxymoron). As a couple of examples, check out some of the offerings in my Bizarre Bazaar column in the e-zine Visions (www.online-visions.com).

What bizarre is not is probably easier to answer; it is NOT magic based on plastic junk!

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2004-01-10 21:06, Xia wrote:
Cheers, so would a bizzare magician use mentalism effects as well as magical effects or just one exclusively. Smile

I certainly do both.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I've always assumed that the essential difference was that while "mentalism" refers to a type of effect, the term "bizarre" really seems to describe a certain approach to presentation. You could use that approach to perform mentalism, coin magic, card magic, or any of the other types of effect often performed by magicians (although I'm not sure how you would handle a bizarre approach to balloon animals... Smile). Conversely, you could definitely perform mentalism effects in a non-bizarre manner.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Renegade
View Profile
New user
Buffalo, New York
59 Posts

Profile of Renegade
For me the bizarre approach has a stronger emphasis on theme and story, an emphasis I think all schools of magic would benifit from.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Only a little question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL