The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Darwin Ortiz (56 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Scott Kahn
View Profile
Special user
Clayton, NC
787 Posts

Profile of Scott Kahn
I must admit, I've become rather obsessed with the card magic of Darwin Ortiz. Even more so since acquiring out-of-print copies of CardShark and Darwin Ortiz At the Card Table. His routining is brilliant. His effects are second to none. And overall, I just feel he is a class act. He's an inspiration and has taken my magic to another level. Now, if only I can meet him in person.
Scott Kahn, M.D.

KAHNCEPTUAL CARD MAGIC: MORE DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnceptual-card-magic/

KAHNJURING: DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnjuring/

SWINDLES, SCAMS & KAHNS
https://kahnjuring.com/swindles-scams-kahns/
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I have his vhs tapes..killer material!
Self concept is destiny..
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Welcome to the club!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I got to talk to him a bit when I worked in Georgetown, just across M street from where he lived, he's very nice.

Psychotronic Card is one of my favorites
ApprenticeWizard
View Profile
Regular user
Charlottesville, VA
170 Posts

Profile of ApprenticeWizard
I drove all the way up to Baltimore from Charlottesville, VA to attend a lecture Darwin gave at Denny and Lee's last Summer. He certainly lived up to his reputation. He even stayed around for a couple of hours after the lecture to enthrall those of us who stayed late (just in case). He really is a fine man.
Magically yours,
Tom Olshefski
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2014, fonda57 wrote:
I got to talk to him a bit when I worked in Georgetown, just across M street from where he lived, he's very nice.

Psychotronic Card is one of my favorites

Liked! Then again, I like virtually all of Mike's posts. Anyhow, while working for the Cuckoos' Nest in Pittsburgh in the early 2000s, I had the privilege of speaking to Mr. Ortiz on the phone. What a kind and gracious person he is. He suffered more than a few questions from Vlad the Hack with grace and aplomb. (I think I may be the first to use the word aplomb on The Café, so, may I please get a "like" for that? Smile ).

And yes, I LOVE The Psychotronic Card. While Mr. Ortiz is known best for knucklebusting miracles, in many ways, this relatively simple routine - in the "Ortizian" sense - is a splendid example of Mr. Ortiz's thinking streamlines into one powerhouse effect.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Thanks Vlad.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Darwin Ortiz is THE MAN. I'd love to meet him one day and just shake his hand (okay, that wouldn't be enough - a nice, three second hug would do it). I've studied practically all of his work and he is a living legend.

Mike
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
What impresses me about Darwin is his THOROUGHNESS. You can tell he knows EVERY DETAIL in every effect he does. He shows that in his teaching too!

Of course, I can't STAND how he makes it look so easy! Smile
TH

Occupy Your Dream
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Makes it look easy, yes. I can't even do a decent Faro shuffle every time and he does it with his eyes closed. Not that I'm comparing myself in any way, of course.

I like how he scripts his routines, which brings me to another thing--he's a good writer.

It
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
I like him for his honesty, and his lack of willingness to pull his punches. If he thinks it's wrong or right, he says so. If he thinks it's misguided, he says so. He's smart enough to know what could work and what probably won't, and that means anything he says should be taken seriously by serious performers. My favorite work of his is the series of essays at the end of Scams and Fantasies, because they come from years of experience and analysis. They laid open, then neatly tied together and answered a lot of my own questions on how to turn card tricks into the magical experience of "wishful thinking."
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I have most of his dvds (& vhs tapes.. Smile )..Great content..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2014, joseph wrote:
I have most of his dvds (& vhs tapes.. Smile )..Great content..

There's way more content in the books.
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1065 Posts

Profile of helder
Another fan of Darwin, I love his work, especially his constructions.
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
I'm also a big fan of his work. His routine Ace in the Pocket is one of my favourite strolling effects.

What annoys me is the amount of magicians I see mocking him because of the way he does his pinky count - there's more to his magic than just that!
ApprenticeWizard
View Profile
Regular user
Charlottesville, VA
170 Posts

Profile of ApprenticeWizard
Magicfish, I agree there is more content in his books, but sometimes its hard to tell just how strong and effect plays just from reading the book. I have both the book and DVDs for his Scams and Fantasies, and from the book you never realize how great the effect "Appointment in Samara" is. But when you see him do it on the DVD its clear that it is one of the strongest and most dramatic effects in card magic. Probably best to get both.
Magically yours,
Tom Olshefski
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I respect your opinion but I disagree. I find the opposite to be true. When I see it performed on dvd I find it weaker than I had imagined. The book allows my mind's eye to envision how powerful the effect should or could be. The Dvd invariably disappoints.
It just doesn't live up to how I imagine it. Which is good. But I'm glad you get value from the dvd. Everyone is different and I respect that.
I am a visual learner, which is why I prefer the written word. The visual I get in my head from a talented author like Mr Ortiz is far better than any video I could be shown.
More detail, more precise etc.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Forgive me gentlemen if I've derailed- back to
Ortiz.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
The Man is a genius. He is intelligent and skilled. I love all his books although I am still hoping for a "At The CardTable" reprint Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Darwin Ortiz (56 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL