The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Barrie Richardson DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I am a big fan of Barrie Richardson. And his books on mentalism are the best books on the subject I have read.

But I really hate watching magic DVDs - unless they have important infomration or tricks which are not available in print.

With that in mind - is it worth getting hold of the Barrie Richardson DVDs?

Cheers!

Joe
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Why is it that you hate DVDs? A lot can be explained through video that can be challenging to do so in books. I will admit I prefer books over video, but as I've said the technology of video these days gives us an advantage.

As for your original question, I don't have his DVDS. I have Curtain Call, and it's wonderful.

Matthew
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I'm a book guy. DVDs are fine - but I just prefer books.

I don't see the point of a DVD unless it is to learn from a truly great performer like Penn And Teller, Ricky Jay, Derren Brown or David Williamson.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Well like I said, I haven't seen his DVDS, so I can't offer much help on the material. But maybe I can offer another thought...

I enjoy books because I can read the authors thoughts and savor them like a fine wine, conveniently going back to the bookshelf whenever need be. But I also enjoy DVDS because they show how that same performer interacts with his audience. They show how he might build his rapport with his audience, how he carries himself, what his act looks like, and showcases his charm (or lack thereof). All of these things simply aren't possible with books.

I know for me to see DVDs, YouTube videos, and penguin lectures of other pro performers such as Cassidy, Osterlind, Derrren Brown, Docc, etc..it makes me feel confident in my own act, as it allows me to see "how it's supposed to be done" coming from the pros. I would put Barrie Richardson right up there with the rest of these gents. The man has "been around the block", and knows his stuff. My conclusion...

Get his DVDs. There's some people you just can't go wrong with. He's one of them.

Hope this helps.

Matthew
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2014, Bob_Hummer wrote:
I am a big fan of Barrie Richardson. And his books on mentalism are the best books on the subject I have read.

But I really hate watching magic DVDs - unless they have important infomration or tricks which are not available in print.

With that in mind - is it worth getting hold of the Barrie Richardson DVDs?

Cheers!

Joe

I would say if you hate watching DVDS you've pretty much answered your own question. I hate liver, l don't like the smell, or texture. Why would I ask someone if liver was worth getting and consuming.

Just an observation.

J
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I don't think the DVDs do his effects justice.
At least for this set of DVDs, Barrie's performances are pretty long-winded, and he is less than dynamic.
But hey, you don't pay to see Dai Vernon sing either. Barrie is a brilliant creator of effects.
You'll find all the material on the DVDs and more in the books.
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
I disagree.
I've bought the dvd set a few weeks ago.
So far I have only watched the first performance-section and a few of the explanations.
So I can't really give you any advice if you should buy the set.
But I can say that I really enjoyed watching Mr. Richardson perform.
First of all I love his material. Doesn't really matter if I'd perform it or not.
But for me there is so much creativity in his routines and presentations that this is a thing of beauty in itself.
His performance needs to be put a little bit in context I think.
I don't know how much he performs these days, but I guess not as much as he used to do.
And I think he used to perform in the context of beeing a professor at university or as a motivational speaker.
I wouldn's see him neccessarily in a theatrical context.
His presentations are carried by the idea of empowering the spectator and the participants.
All his presentations seem to revolve around this idea. Again I haven't seen all three dvds so far, but that is
the impression I get from the first dvd and his three books.
I think that is very nice to watch.
Again I don't think that tthis is the way one has to do it in a theatrical context, but it is a very inspiring thing to watch.
Also it is interesting to see that this motivational background carries both the mentalism and the more magical effects.
Mr. Richardson can perform mentalism and mental magic in the same context.

Just a few thoughts before breakfast. Sorry, now I need to get my coffee...

Best,
LeXa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Barrie Richardson DVDs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL