The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Derek Dingle Passed Away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Still remember Derek doing his Cig Through Quarter. Fantastic the first time I saw it.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
My condolences to friends and family of Derek Dingle, my heart goes out to all of you for your loss of this wonderful man.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman

Derek Dingle was funny both in mannerisms, and in rapier wit. Derek was politically incorrect just a bit earlier than when true political incorrectness became correct. He worked hard and played hard, and for a while just lived hard. Derek was given the limelight, though it was hard to discern if he ever really wanted it, or cared for it. He claimed, at times, to have little affection for magic—though it was always clear he loved it deeply.

Derek had a frumpy, strangely clumsy look at times; yet his hands could be like the feet of Fred Astaire. He enraged and delighted, amazed and inspired, all at the same time. He could take Bertram’s coins to a new level, make colors more triumphant than ever before, yet enjoyed embalming himself in masking tape. The girls would scream with delight when he performed his Silver Quick, though he did it slowly. His Complete Works of 1982 became the springboard for a new standard in magic textbooks. Large, well-produced, well-illustrated volumes for magicians became the accepted standard soon thereafter. Few books have attained the longevity and popularity of this Kaufman–Greenberg classic.

Derek soaked up secrets at a time when secrets were not readily soakable. There were bits of Ross Bertram and Eddie Fechter concealed in Derek Dingle, and a few bits and bobs of Bruce Cervon and Larry Jennings as well. Yet, Derek congealed it and presented it in a way that all his own. He entertained Cavett, Douglas, Snyder, Barbara Walters, and even Kermit the frog in a time when nation-wide television appearances were rare—and really meant something.

Derek Dingle was always surprising to me. Each time I met him, I was a bit surprised. Derek always looked a bit surprised. The lines and bits of business he had were surprising. He audiences were always a bit surprised, and more than a bit astonished. Derek has left behind more of his spirit than most, perhaps because he was possessed with more spirit than most. His bushy mane always looked like it needed brushing, even after he brushed it. Derek often looked like he needed a shave, even though he just had. More than a few pros have commented again and again that, when Derek performed his five or six pet routines, he was the best in the world. It is hard not to agree, for Derek Dingle was always able to perform his favorite effects better than they could possibly be done by anyone else.

Lots of decks have been shuffled since 1937. Magic has lost one of its greatest characters for the moment, an iconoclastic, bombastic, nimble fingered man who could simultaneously shock some, and enthrall most. Now, with Derek Dingle’s surprise passing, it is strangely plausible that he might have psychically planned it. “And what if I don’t feel like doing no bloody lecture tour?” seems like something he could have said. I really, really liked Derek Dingle. Those that were touched by Derek and his not yet complete works are many. I’ll count myself as one of those lucky enough to have been. Perhaps only one thing is for certain.

The name “Dingle” will always ring a bell.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17050 Posts

Profile of joseph
I remember watching him at work in the mid-70's showing Barbara Walters Card Warp and some other tricks on her daily show, and he was a great influence for me. He will be sorely missed. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
It was through Derek Dingle's Basic Card Video that I got interested in cards. I had never done much until then.

He will be missed.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10706 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I never had the pleasure to meet Derek Dingle but I know what a wonderful magician he was. This is one reason we need to have videos and DVDs to see the giants of magic in actual performances.

God bless the Dingle family. The magic community will not be the same with out him.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
Good bye Derek

Thanks for the most inspirational night of my life at the Cobblestone Bar twenty years ago. I couldn't have had a better role model.

Love

Mike Vincent
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Derek Dingle Passed Away (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL