The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Making Banners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2644 Posts

Profile of John Long
I want to make a banner (a graphic image) that is 3 to 4 pages long, on my printer and w/o needing to tape pages together.

I tried an MSW banner-template, sent it to my laser printer with a piece of perforated-fan-fold paper in the sheet feeder... lets just say that my printer was not amused.

Any thoughts on this? Seems like most modern printers just won't do ~continuous printing. I have an old Epsom FX80 dot matrix printer that was able to create banners, but that software was probably DOS based, and I want to print a large graphic image, not text.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks;
John
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
880 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Printers and drivers cary widely in terms of capability. Sometimes you are able to create a custom page size for a printer that can accommodate roll-fed paper, but even then it can be a bit dodgy.

Also inkjet printers are far more likely to have this capability than a laser printer.

I used to work for a display house, designing and printing trade show displays. I have worked with many different kinds of desktop printers, as well as wide-format inkjet and solvent printers. My advice would be to check your local print shops and see if any of them offer wide-format printing. There are a lot more of them now that offer these services than even ten years ago. The prices have come down a lot in that time too.

Anther benefit is that there are also many substrates available, depending on the capabilities of their equipment. You can print on many different weights and finishes of paper, and even canvas or vinyl or polycarbonate. Many of these are far more durable than a simple bond paper, and your print shop can help you to shoose one to meet your durability requirements.

Good luck!
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
If you save as JPEG and take the file to Kinkos, Office Depot or other copier place they should be able to print you file for you. You can set the document up in Adobe InDesign and save as a JPEG,
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2644 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks for the comments, I'll see what my inkjet may be capable of. I'm also looking into drivers for my old Epson FX 80

For me, this is not worth the expense of a professional printer, this is something two "banners" will be consumed/destroy each performance.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
880 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
If it's something you will be performing regularly it might well be worth taking to a professional printer. Especially if your image has a lot of coverage. Home inkjet printers are actually rather expensive to operate. For just a few though you might do well on your own. But you may have your work cut out for you getting the FX80 to work on a modern system.
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gothike
Save it as a jpeg, print size and at 300dpi. Make sure you have bleed.

Not sure what printer they are using but sometimes vinyl banners print at 100dpi
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
880 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Resolution for wide format printing is very often 100 ppi (ppi is "pixels per inch". Strictly speaking dpi is a printer function, not a file function). Viewing distance and image definition are also factors as well, I have printed images as low as 37.5 ppi with excellent results as long as you never got closer than 15 feet from the printed piece. Also it is important to note that ppi is not the only consideration, but the print dimension too. 100 ppi at 5" x 10" is VERY different from 100 ppi at 15" x 30"!

And if your graphic is vector-based, then resolution is a non-issue.

If you go jpeg make sure not to apply too much compression as it is a very lossy form of file compression and can introduce some pretty horrible artifacting. We always preferred tiff files or pdf at my shop. And of course bleed is only necessary if your image goes to the trimmed edge of the image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Making Banners (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL