The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Local source--Does it matter to you? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Woah! What does the OP have to do with Marxism? You make an awful of assumptions, General. And your posts in this thread are full of them.

All Magnus said was that he was surprised that Five Guys didn't use local sources because "I'm living in cattle county, and we grow (literally) tons of high quality potatoes. In fact, there's a high probability that the seed potatoes for those Idaho spuds originated here. What could possibly justify moving into this market and NOT dealing with the locals? Even McDonald's uses as much local product as possible."

I guess McDonald's must be Marxist, too, as well as all those folks who remind us to "Buy American."

Uhhh, I am not going on an assumption Bob. I am pretty sure Mag admitted publicly here on the forum to being a Marxist. He's a communist. I am a believer in fair trade but if you try to coerce a business through the threat of boycotts then that's not fair trade. Heck, I don't always buy American. I have bought Sony products because they made a superior product. If Microsoft wants my business then they will just have to build a better Xbox than Sony's PS4 for example. Sony earned my money and business. I didn't give it to them. I expect American businesses to compete and I'll give a fair shake to any foreign business permitted by the US government to compete here in our markets. But I think every business should be given a fair shake and be allowed to use suppliers that offer them the best deal and the best value, even if that supplier is not local. In addition, I expect that US companies are offerred a similar fair shake when they go overseas or to another country to do business. If they aren't, then I think that nation's businesses that do business here in the US should suffer penalties including tariffs leveled against them by the US government. It's fair.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yet another assumption. Why do you conflate Marxism and Communism? In real life they bear little resemblance to each other.

I don't know whether John's a communist or not. It has NOTHING to do with his post or his opinion. You are putting words into his mouth and then attacking them- that's what a straw man argument is.

But, all things being equal (quality, service, etc.), do you support buying products that sport a "Made in the USA" label or are manufactured locally? If not, why not? Are you a communist? Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
To their credit, Five guys have already responded.

This is a pretty good answer. I am impressed.

I had a feeling they would respond. I've contaced companies on different matters before and for the most part have gotten at least some sort of response. Sometimes surprisingy good ones like this one. When in doubt go directly to the source if possible!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The things you miss by getting a good night's sleep.

General Magician: Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Magnus, a Marxist? Someone who looked a little like him came to me last year, begging to be let into The Party, but I had to turn him down. Are you sure it was John? He kept muttering dark things about there not being enough Canadian Ale to drink. We figured he was a CIA plant, or whatever the Canadian equivalent is.

Anyway as a guy who isn't exactly a Marxist, but wouldn't object too strongly if someone called me one, the problem, General, is that the free market isn't free. Nothing against Five Guys, but nobody like you and me can compete with the giants in terms of economies of scale, power to undercut small competitors, advertising dollars spent to boost demand, and lobbying dollars spent to buy off politicians and push favorable legislation. If you had an Olympics event where different competitors were allowed to start on different places on the track--some inches from the finish line--I know that as a sporting guy, you'd hardly call that free or fair. But that is the inevitable situation in a Capitalist framework--the concentration of capital and power in fewer and fewer hands. Soon the rest of us are looking around wondering what the heck happened, how come we got no more jobs here, and why are people overseas doing our jobs for one-tenth the wages, and why do we need to torture folks around the world to keep them in line when they get upset with this situation. (Marx was really good at describing what Capitalism is and how it works. Not so good on what to do about it.)
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I sometimes have to wait a couple of days to buy citrus because I like to support the area where I grew up which grows beautiful citrus but sometimes our supermarkets only have imported California oranges which I'm sure are very nice in California but they're dry fibrous tasteless things by the time they get on the shelf here.

BALDUCCI, my friend do you ever get around to reading your PM's?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, Destiny wrote:

BALDUCCI, my friend do you ever get around to reading your PM's?

Thanks for the heads up! Somehow I was never alerted to that PM of yours.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, landmark wrote:

Anyway as a guy who isn't exactly a Marxist, but wouldn't object too strongly if someone called me one, the problem, General, is that the free market isn't free. Nothing against Five Guys, but nobody like you and me can compete with the giants in terms of economies of scale, power to undercut small competitors, advertising dollars spent to boost demand, and lobbying dollars spent to buy off politicians and push favorable legislation. If you had an Olympics event where different competitors were allowed to start on different places on the track--some inches from the finish line--I know that as a sporting guy, you'd hardly call that free or fair. But that is the inevitable situation in a Capitalist framework--the concentration of capital and power in fewer and fewer hands. Soon the rest of us are looking around wondering what the heck happened, how come we got no more jobs here, and why are people overseas doing our jobs for one-tenth the wages, and why do we need to torture folks around the world to keep them in line when they get upset with this situation. (Marx was really good at describing what Capitalism is and how it works. Not so good on what to do about it.)

I'm glad the "five guys" that opened that single hamburger stand one day didn't read that. They might have quit before they even began. How could they ever survive in a world with McDonalds, Burger King and Wendys? The whole deck is stacked against you!! You'll get crushed! Might as well not even try, you have no chance to succeed. Oh wait, what? Five Guys now has 1000 locations in the US and Canada and plans to open another 1000+? But that's bad because now that all their work payed off they are one of the "giants" that no one can take on, and everyone else is henceforth screwed.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Now, there's the matter of ruining a decent burger with processed cheese...
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I have to admit, in most cases I prefer plain old processed american cheese on a burger. Granted, I'm an uncultured American slob, but I don't like the way some cheeses like cheddar break apart and get watery/oily when they melt on a burger. I like all sorts of cheeses but persoanlly if I'm making a burger give me that good ole "Pasteurized process cheese food" lol. I love how they put the word "food" on the end of that. Some people probably consider it barely edible but I like it. It make the best grilled cheese sandwiches too.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
I'm glad the "five guys" that opened that single hamburger stand one day didn't read that. They might have quit before they even began. How could they ever survive in a world with McDonalds, Burger King and Wendys? The whole deck is stacked against you!! You'll get crushed! Might as well not even try, you have no chance to succeed. Oh wait, what? Five Guys now has 1000 locations in the US and Canada and plans to open another 1000+? But that's bad because now that all their work payed off they are one of the "giants" that no one can take on, and everyone else is henceforth screwed.

Their are various different business strategies that the little guy can used when competing against the big guy. You can't compete on price alone, especially if you are a little guy and you certainly don't take on your competition in the areas where they are strong. Not only that but getting into a price war even with equivalent competition just drains the profits of the market you have chosen to compete in.

You want to attack your competition where it's weak. It's not unfair or unsporting either to do so. You do not need to prove yourself by taking on competitors head-on, especially if you are a little guy facing off with a big guy. Not even a lion will go after the fastest antelope in the herd, instead he runs down the slowest. Invincibility lies in the defense as well and as a little guy you will probably need to bide your time on the defense before launching any attack on the weak points of your competitors, especially when they are bigger.

"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack. One defends when his strength is inadequate. He attacks when it is abundant."

You can't just throw in the towel just because you have a big guy in the neighborhood to compete against. It's like the race between the tortoise, hare and rat in the story of how the tortoise won the rat race. The rat didn't even bother to try so he never won and the hare lost because he got too comfortable and simply went to sleep because he was so far ahead of the tortoise only to awake too late to find the tortoise had crossed the finish line and won the race.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
This is a Colorado only joint that I think could easily go nationally. They use Colorado beef, but I'm not sure about the veggies. The most delicious and different burgers! Scroll to the bottom to see some pics.

http://craverealburgers.com/burgers/
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, Marlin1894 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I have to admit, in most cases I prefer plain old processed american cheese on a burger. Granted, I'm an uncultured American slob, but I don't like the way some cheeses like cheddar break apart and get watery/oily when they melt on a burger. I like all sorts of cheeses but persoanlly if I'm making a burger give me that good ole "Pasteurized process cheese food" lol. I love how they put the word "food" on the end of that. Some people probably consider it barely edible but I like it. It make the best grilled cheese sandwiches too.

Marlin1894-

Hate to admit it, but I completely agree with you. I love the stuff.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

People buy what they want and in most cases, not what they need. That's one of the secrets to business: sell something nobody needs! Processed American cheese on a burger is not what people need, but it is what people want.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
People buy what they want and in most cases, not what they need. That's one of the secrets to business: sell something nobody needs! ...

I'd say you've got that exactly backwards. People WANT the latest iPhones. The fact that they buy them in droves is sufficient to show the efficacy of the business model.

No one NEEDS one.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
I'd say you've got that exactly backwards. People WANT the latest iPhones. The fact that they buy them in droves is sufficient to show the efficacy of the business model.

No one NEEDS one.

I am not following you. I thought I basically said that people buy what they want and not what they need (most of the time). You did understand me correctly didn't you?

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Sorry. I misread your post. Yes, I agree with you on this.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, Marlin1894 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, landmark wrote:

Don't forget that "McDonald's" started as a single hamburger stand run by the McDonald brothers.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:

Don't forget that "McDonald's" started as a single hamburger stand run by the McDonald brothers.

It's how many, if not most, successful companies start. With a person or a group of people who have an idea and are willing to do the work to make it successful. It doesn't always work out, and when they become mega-corps they sometimes morph into something else to some extent. But I still believe people can can come from just about anywhere and create something successful. It's undoubtedly more difficult for some than others, but there are stories all around us of people who do it every day. Yes, Five Guys has become a bit of a giant in the industry, but they didn't start one step in front of the finish line. They started by opening a storefront shop in 1986 and selling their first hamburger to the first customer who wanted one.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
It's how many, if not most, successful companies start. With a person or a group of people who have an idea and are willing to do the work to make it successful. It doesn't always work out, and when they become mega-corps they sometimes morph into something else to some extent. But I still believe people can can come from just about anywhere and create something successful. It's undoubtedly more difficult for some than others, but there are stories all around us of people who do it every day. Yes, Five Guys has become a bit of a giant in the industry, but they didn't start one step in front of the finish line. They started by opening a storefront shop in 1986 and selling their first hamburger to the first customer who wanted one.

I agree. I think most people have to understand that if you are going to be a businessman, you have to be action oriented. The market just doesn't reward people who don't take action. You also develop a much stronger work ethic when you go into business for yourself as well as a much stronger sense of "your destiny is in your hands and you and you alone are responsible." You get the idea. But you have to take action. You can't just surrender without putting up a fight even if you are faced with overwhelming odds against a much financially stronger competitor. You will have to develop a strategy to attack the weak points of strong competitors while avoiding any head on direct competition with them and you certainly don't want to attack a competitors strong point. I was reading about how Kmart attempted to attack Wal Mart's strong point by trying to under-cut them.

Wal Mart took the market position of low price and vowing to never be undersold and had more resources than Kmart to back up their market position. Needless to say, Kmart's attack on Wal Mart was a dismal failure because they attacked Wal Mart at it's strong point rather than at it's weak points. Kmart CEO in the aftermath of it's disastrous attack on Wal Mart got the boot from shareholders and rightfully so. Not to mention, you want to avoid getting price wars to begin with. Their are examples of companies getting price wars and then all the companies losing in the end and going out of business. Customers certainly won in those cases, but the companies went out of business afterwards that got caught up in a price war because the price wars essentially drained any of the profitability from the markets they were competing in.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Local source--Does it matter to you? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL