The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Countryman B3 Receiver and Transmitter Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
447 Posts

Profile of latentimage
I am pretty sure I want to use the Countryman B3, but I am not sure what exactly to get as far as a receiver and transmitter. Can someone who uses this mic please give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Allen
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gothike
You don't want the B3 lav.

The headsets have no drop out and they have a detachable cable.

Works with many brands since the cable can be swapped.

Your true questions should be, this is my budget, what wireless system do you recommend?

So how much is in the piggy bank...
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
447 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Thanks for the response. I know that the major consensus here is that no one should ever use a lavalier, but I can't stand wearing a headset. As a drummer, I have owned many of them over the years and I just don't like them. With that being said, I'll probably throw one in the case along with some corded hand-helds to be used in the even that absolutely nothing else will work. Every situation is different, so I'm not expecting an all encompassing solution here.

I am familiar with various wireless systems, but I was a little confused by the lack of information available dealing with compatibility for the B3. It seems as though Shure manufactures the upper tier stuff for Countryman (or at least distributes it), but that the mid to lower end models are primarily intended for use with Sennheiser systems. Since a few people on this forum apparently use the B3, I figured someone could let me know what works best for them.

Is your recommendation against the B3 specifically, or just against lavalier mics in general? I know most people don't use Countryman, but it seems as though there are only positive reviews on this forum from the people who do. I am not 100% set on this model though, and am open to any other suggestions that would fit my needs. I am also very familiar with the debate between lavaliers and headsets, so we don't need to go in to all of that.

As far as money goes, I'd like to spend under 1,000 dollars for a mic, body pack and receiver.

Best,

Allen
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gothike
People here typically use Shure and Sennheiser.

I use both.

My body packs are Sennheiser (made of steel). The G2 model is more economical than the g3.

I own 3 G2 systems. Two with a receiver that needs a power adapter, one battery powered.

My handled mic is a Shure wireless SM58.

An option that you might look into is the Sennheiser G2 camera system. Comes with a lav and both the receiver and transmitter run on 2 AA batteries (8 hours battery life).

Just be aware that one particular models frequencies are obsolete with the HD frequencies change.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
447 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Hey Gothike,

This info is extremely useful. Thank you! I am looking into the G2 system now and it looks like it might be a better option for me. It looks quite affordable too.

58's have always been my vocal mic of choice too. I think I still have one or two kicking around someplace. Best sounding vocal mic in my opinion. Really affordable and virtually indestructible. I don't have too much experience with Sennheiser though, aside from using their e902 in the studio which I was very happy with. I have heard lots of good things though, so I think I might give them a try.

Best,

Allen

gothike
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gothike
I recommend you head over to a pro audio shop and check them in person. Look at their quality.

Sometimes the worst place to get audio advice is this forum. Many magicians will try to convince you that Bose speakers rock or that their 30 watt speakers can cover an outside group of 500 people.

Now if you have a wired Sm 58 you can go to a online magic shop and get a gim rack holder. It holds the mic around your neck.

Before you buy a lav you also have to read up on "gain before feedback" and lav pickup patterns, omni vs directional.

If you looking at the Sennhesier read the G2 vs G3 comparisons in a pro audio forum. See if the G3 is a justified cost.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Countryman B3 Receiver and Transmitter Questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL