We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Retina (Looc) vs The Business (Romanos) vs The Ghost (Paul Nardini) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Retina (Looc) vs The Business (Romanos) vs The Ghost (Paul Nardini)

Has anyone had an opportunity to look at and compare one or more of the above effects against the other(s)? At least Retina and The Business seem to be hitting the market at about the same time and I'm wondering if anyone can give an informed review of any of these...particularly a review comparing each against one or more of the others..particularly such things as practicality, ease of use, angle restrictions, cleanness, genuine audience reaction(s), reset (if required) etc.

Thanks for any info in these regards.

Mike

P.S. If you have any other recommendations regarding any other DD effect or p@@k case that you feel is superior to any of the above three items, I'd be interested in hearing such additional information.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4117 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I have The Business (Romanos)and it is pretty good if you perchase it ask for another black cover bag,angle proof not bad just do not have anyone behind you.One I use is STEAM by ali nouira similar to ghost can not go into deatail as will give it away but it is excellent and Ghost works on the same priciple,hope this info helps in some way.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4191 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Not having Retina yet, I think Retina would be a go-to, mainly because he gives you various presentational ideas. And if this is the samme one he does in his lecture, it's practical as heck Smile
mysticalsales
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of mysticalsales
What does Retina use, a Pad? I see the reactions but really does not show the presentation from the start.
Dreda
View Profile
Loyal user
France, Paris
240 Posts

Profile of Dreda
Hello,

Retina doesn't use a pad.

The Ghost is a special pad + STEAM
"I know that I know nothing" - Socrate
mysticalsales
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of mysticalsales
How is the Retina video really a demo? It shows the reactions of people when the performer reveals the duplication.
What is the performer using to divine the information? I am not asking for the secret of course, but would like to know how this is different or better than other ways.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4191 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
If it's the one in his lecture, which I think it is, it happens in the following actions.

1. You have a small stack of biz cards
2. Spec draws on the back whatever
3. Biz card is openly placed face down in the pile of biz cards
4. Stack of biz cards is placed in the pocket to be put away
5. You can then reveal in whatever manner, drawing on the back of another biz card if you want.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, Blindside785 wrote:
If it's the one in his lecture, which I think it is, it happens in the following actions.

1. You have a small stack of biz cards
2. Spec draws on the back whatever
3. Biz card is openly placed face down in the pile of biz cards
4. Stack of biz cards is placed in the pocket to be put away
5. You can then reveal in whatever manner, drawing on the back of another biz card if you want.

I think he teaches many different methods for the peek.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, mysticalsales wrote:
What does Retina use, a Pad? I see the reactions but really does not show the presentation from the start.

Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, mysticalsales wrote:
How is the Retina video really a demo? It shows the reactions of people when the performer reveals the duplication.
What is the performer using to divine the information? I am not asking for the secret of course, but would like to know how this is different or better than other ways.

I agree. And that was one of my reasons for posting this thread. How does Retina significantly differ from all of the other DD effects (including The Business and The Ghost) that have come before it?

All I think I learned from the trailer is that Looch performed some sort of DD effect. It would also be interesting and informative to learn how (if?) Looch's methodology differs from the other p@@k methodologies already out there. Is there a ground-breaking difference sufficient to justify the purchase of Retina? Perhaps, Looch is using existing methodologies but his version differs mainly in presentation and subtlety. If so, that would be fine. But I'd like to at least have an inkling as to what I am buying...and why.

While I know that Looch has a very good reputation amongst many magicians/mentalist, based upon the trailer, it is difficult to be able to make an informed decision on this product (i.e., practicality, set-up, angles, etc.)...without someone biting the bullet and taking the plunge and buying this...and then posting an informed review of same. Does any one actually have this effect and, if so, have they actually performed this for an audience? Alternatively, an unedited trailer of a full(?) performance might be sufficient for a viewer to form his own opinion on the effect.

I sincerely hope that the reviews (by actual owners of the effect) are stellar and off the charts. I'm looking for a good entertaining DD effect.

Eschew obfuscation.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10440 Posts

Profile of saysold1
With all respect to the OP - comparing the new Retina (which appears to be a release more about teaching than about a particular gimmick) doesn't make sense.

If you want to compare the business to GHOST... well we could sit here and create a really long list.

As stated GHOST is STEAM reborn.

Then there is Parapad, Nomad Pad, MB, Psypher, etc etc etc etc

There s already a Retina thread started and I look forward to reading and maybe buying it. There may be some new pk ideas here, but comparing Retina to two random other pk gimmicks... this really isn't the place for that kind of thread on Latest & Greatest.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
With all respect to the OP *** this really isn't the place for that kind of thread on Latest & Greatest.

Why not? Its apparent from the highly edited Retina trailer that no one has any reasonable clue as to exactly what they would be getting for the money. As such, my request for comparisons (from those who might actually own Retina and be able to make the requested comparison to any other DD methodology and effect) was a reasonable request.

In addition, the criteria for posting in the Latest and Greatest area is:

"This forum provided as a place where folks can discuss the latest rumors, read announcements and speculate about the obvious hyperbole surrounding many of the upcoming products that are released into magicdom. Will they be genuine miracles or mere rhetoric? We ponder the question...". (Emphasis supplied by Turk)

And, as I plainly stated in a follow-up post:

"Perhaps, Looch is using existing methodologies but his version differs mainly in presentation and subtlety. If so, that would be fine. But I'd like to at least have an inkling as to what I am buying...and why."

I still would like more specific information as to what exactly Looch is releasing and selling. His trailer did nothing to even begin to specifically define what he was actually selling. Hence, my thread.

I'm sorry you disagree with my request or the rationale for asking for specific information on Retina and comparisons to other similar types of existing products...or for my posting my thread in this area. Reasonable minds may differ.

With respect,

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10440 Posts

Profile of saysold1
There is already a thread started on Retina - yours is a duplicate.

With Respect,

Brett
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10440 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2014, Turk wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
With all respect to the OP *** this really isn't the place for that kind of thread on Latest & Greatest.

Why not? Its apparent from the highly edited Retina trailer that no one has any reasonable clue as to exactly what they would be getting for the money. As such, my request for comparisons (from those who might actually own Retina and be able to make the requested comparison to any other DD methodology and effect) was a reasonable request.

In addition, the criteria for posting in the Latest and Greatest area is:

"This forum provided as a place where folks can discuss the latest rumors, read announcements and speculate about the obvious hyperbole surrounding many of the upcoming products that are released into magicdom. Will they be genuine miracles or mere rhetoric? We ponder the question...". (Emphasis supplied by Turk)

And, as I plainly stated in a follow-up post:

"Perhaps, Looch is using existing methodologies but his version differs mainly in presentation and subtlety. If so, that would be fine. But I'd like to at least have an inkling as to what I am buying...and why."

I still would like more specific information as to what exactly Looch is releasing and selling. His trailer did nothing to even begin to specifically define what he was actually selling. Hence, my thread.

I'm sorry you disagree with my request or the rationale for asking for specific information on Retina and comparisons to other similar types of existing products...or for my posting my thread in this area. Reasonable minds may differ.

With respect,

Mike

All your well intended questions could be answered on the EXISTING Retina thread Mike. No need for a whole new topic that is duplicative of the existing thread.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of dmoses
"duplicative"?
:)
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10440 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2014, dmoses wrote:
"duplicative"?
:)

duplicative
adjective
marked by repetition <duplicative efforts in this area that are just a waste of time>
Synonyms duplicative, reiterative, repetitious
Related Words redundant
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Le mot juste!
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10440 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Merci, vous et tres gentile Monsieur!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3676 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Merci, vous êtes très gentil, monsierur. Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18033 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Who's the gentile?!
NEW - ECCE LOQUOR - how to read anything
http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/ecce-loquor/paperback/product-24204371.html

BIG SALE ON...no code needed...
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10440 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On May 1, 2014, JanForster wrote:
Merci, vous êtes très gentil, monsierur. Smile Jan

Danke Jan - my high school French only goes so far!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Retina (Looc) vs The Business (Romanos) vs The Ghost (Paul Nardini) (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL