We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Handling silks for mismade flag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
Relatively new to silks. In fact, never used 'em until I got a mismade flag set & change bag . . . I've always enjoyed the mismade flag routine.

Here's my question. When loading the various flags (1 correct American flags & 2 mismade flags), is it better to place them in the change bag nicely folded and relatively flat, or kinda scrunched or crumpled up?

Seems to be if they come out looking too nice & neatly folded, that is inconsistent with the premise that the individual color silks have somehow "smushed" together to form the multi-color flag. Yet if they are loaded in a scrunched up/smushed together sort of way, it is harder (or so it seems to me) to ensure that I am pulling them out in correct order.

Steve HOffman
Takoma Park MD
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Steve:

Here's a tip that I learned from a lecture by Dave Risley. He says to take each flag, drape it over the change bag so the center of the flag is over the opening. Push the flag down to the bottom, and just tuck in any corners if they're still sticking out of the bag. Do this with each flag, in reverse order that they're going to come out.

This is the method is use. It works very well.

Ron
Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
Great suggestion . . . thank you!!!

Steve H
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Not a direct response to your question, but a suggestion. I find the mismade flag is stronger when done in the classic manner....a tube rolled from paper, instead of the change bag. Methods of doing this are in Tarbell and many other basic books. If you want to play with it, you can make a nice dye tube from white PVC...drill holes in the center and put a ribbon thru to work as the stop. Then wrap a piece of file folder around it and glue. Then use for the paper tube a file folder and you are all set.
quack
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
OK, I'm even weirder than I thought! MisMade Flag for me sometimes uses the change bag, but not usually. Usually I work it with some kind of box prop. That is by design because I am a dove worker as a rule and I like to unload my livestock first. The silk magic can be done any time in the routine. Yet, odds are better than 50% that I will produce a dove from the final flag.

However, your original question dealt with how to prepare the loads for production. In all cases, I fold all the load silks into a modified flat roll with the interior tip sticking out of the center. I pick up the silks to be produced by that exposed corner so that it is somewhat coiled when it is produced. My logic is, beyond simply being able to tell one silk from another, to have the silk clear the container as far as possible before it completely opens to view. When not using a change bag it allows me to grab the other top corner for display. It works for me. (I just never realized that I am folding it “round” and not stacking them, but standing the rolls on end.)

It is a great effect. Enjoy it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Handling silks for mismade flag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL