The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ellusionist.com? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Hey guys,

I've only been doing magic for about a year, and only discovered this board a couple of weeks ago. Browsing through a lot of the old posts, I've found there aren't too many fans of Brad Christian and ellusionist.com. I've got all of their videos, and whilst I am fairly new to the magic world, I was impressed by all of the material included. I'm interested in hearing why some people are so against the company. Is it because of the whole "cashing in on the success of Blaine" thing?

I don't consider myself an ellusionist only magician, like a lot of the young guys I meet on their forums (although, I must admit that most of the guys on their are incredibly knowledgable about magic). I have a number of "classic" books and videos in my collection, and am interested in all types of magic and magicians.

I'd love to hear any opinions or thoughts about this topic.

Cheers guys!

-- Topher
Creanada
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Creanada
There's always been many a topic about this and there always will be, a quick search will provide a wealth of information on it. I believe it comes down to the fact that they didn't credit for tricks and they change the name of others and so on. The 2 card monte they offer for example, IS Eddie Fechter's.
But, as I say, I'm no expert, a search will help you.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
See the following thread on another board:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......2#000000
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
jimisolo
View Profile
Regular user
League City, TX
110 Posts

Profile of jimisolo
I, personally, don't have ANY problem with Brad or Ellusionist. I understand some of the argument against them, but feel it mostly comes from people who refuse to have anything to do with them instead of trying out their products/service first hand.

They really helped me out, and still do whenever I need it. I have had many great conversations with Brad and several of the members on his forum. I respect the fact that they keep their prices a little higher than some other places. Whether they do it for MY reasons, or some other is irrelevant to me.

I don't think that the degree to which some people have made a case against Ellusionist is deserved. No one crucified Ammar for some similar transgressions, and look...HE turned out OK. Smile

OK, I'm strapped into my flame-retardant body suit...Let 'em FLY!!! Smile
Darck Ninja
View Profile
New user
SLC-UTAH
76 Posts

Profile of Darck Ninja
I am not posting to flame, but I believe I have some valid points. First, I've met Brad, I don't like him. He is a mediocre magician IMHO, and I don't trust him. If you look, it is not hard to tell that his movies are "overpriced" compared to most other videos. On N-2 there were less than 20 slieghts. The danged movie was $50!! I bought it, and reviewed it. His teaching style is GREAT, but almost all he teaches are bad habits that you need to "unlearn". I own CC-1, N-1, N-2, SMP, King Rising, and the "ultimate guide to the Ambitious Card". The only one of these I bought was N-2. My magician-friends all gave me a hard time about not liking them, and ended up buying me the entire set(which I am currently trying to get rid of). I watched each movie, and was less and less impressed. I can certainly say that your money would be better spent on REAL stuff. Like Jay Sankey. Daryl. Bill Malone. And all those other guys which actually COME UP with their stuff. The only thing Brad Christian really claims to have "invented" was the Turn-Over pass. A pass that people have played with for years. All the stuff he sells is just stuff he took from others and put on his videos. Most of the patter he uses isn't even original.
If you want (as a beginner) to invest in some good stuff, hit PenguinMagic.com Hocus-Pocus.com and TheMagicWarehouse.com and pick up some good books like the Royal Road to Card Magic. or the "Art of Astonishment"

Magically,

~Chase
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed." Einstein
J773
View Profile
New user
Belgium
56 Posts

Profile of J773
I'm currently viewing and learning from crash course 1.
I think he's a great teacher, but that's a beginners opinion, off course. His lessons are very clear.

A friend of mine told me why lots of magicians don't like Brad Christian. I understood that he teaches stuff others invented, and never even mentions the them, like he did it all by himself.

To be honest (and I hope I don't get the magic community against me) what do I care who teaches me. As long as I like his teaching methods, it's up to me to decide what to watch and read.

As a beginner, I don't have the knowledge of what is good and bad in teaching card magic, unlike the more esteemed members of this community.

And what are those "bad habits" you will have to unlearn ?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If you will use the "search" function of The Magic Café most of the products you would consider buying are referenced and you can get information directly from the people who bought the goods. If you have other questions send them a PM. Most will be happy to correspond with you. They know what they expected to get and what they did get for their money. Please use that resource to improve your investment decisions. We are not here to take your money.

Reading in the areas of professionalism, ethics in magic, and professional magic might broaden your concepts about acceptable and unacceptable behaviors among professional magicians. Once rejected from the magical fraternity, readmission or affiliation with magic professionals in the future can become very difficult. Admission is not at all based upon money. It is based upon integrity and professional respect.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
And since there are a number of threads about precisely this topic already on the Café, we're going to lock this one.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ellusionist.com? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL