The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Childrens Party Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rapidmagic
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Rapidmagic
Hi,

I am currently a confident close-up magician, who can be hired for the usual weddings, corporate etc etc, but I have recently joined forces with a friend who is a first rate juggler, balloon artist and uni-cyclist to be able to provide for childrens parties.

What I would like is some advice for a routine for some magic for children, the magic show itself will not be huge as the juggling balloons etc will also be going on.

We indend to split the children and take half at a time, therefore everyone gets a better time with both sorts of entertaining.

Does anyone have any props they consider must haves? any routines that are great for the little pains!

Any help would be greatfully recieved,

Many Thanks,

Tom

http://www.rapidmagic.com -online sleights and tricks database, news reviews and more!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Please don't consider this any sort of put down but it might be the best advice you get here:

As long as you consider your audience to be "the little pains", then maybe you shouldn't be doing children's shows. Smile

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Rapidmagic
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Rapidmagic
Peter,

The little pains was supposed to be a joke!

I get along fine with children, I have qualifications to teach childrens community sports and devote lots of my personal time to my young relatives, there was no meaning in the phrase!

Tom

http://www.rapidmagic.com -online sleights and tricks database, news reviews and more!
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Amen Peter! I love doing kids shows becuse of the wonder I enstill in the little kidsa. Kids are GREAT! I love thir natural curosity and the way you can play off them.
Most magically yours,
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Rapidmagic
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Rapidmagic
ok, so you might want to consider it was a joke! oh my god come on guys where is your sense of humour!! Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4184 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-06-04 14:34, Rapidmagic wrote:
We indend to split the children and take half at a time...

Are you going to take the top halves first?

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Rapidmagic
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Rapidmagic
Yes. I feel this thread is not being treated seriously and so can the moderators of the board please delete it and I will re-post in the future.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Tom,
What type of childrens magic are you thinking of?

A lot of performers here in the Uk are fond of cut out tricks as I call them
Farmyard Frolicks, Fraidy cat rabbit, Run rabbit Run to name a few.

Myself I would never use any of the above even for 4 year olds (but that's just my opinion) I have seen performers performing VERY succesfully with them. but I just do not feel comfortable with such items.

personally I like.

Misers dream
Rainbow house (rabbit production)
Wonder box (check my routine in Abra 2896)
Mindreading for kids (my routine Alchemy vol2 no 5)
all clear hindu vase (my routine alchemy vol2 no 3)
Dan Garrets sponge bannanas
Linking rings
Unequal Ropes (without a silly story about worms or similar)
colour change silks (as per Bobo)
Knitty Knitty bang bang (great routine from practical magic UK where the child gets the better of you in needle through balloon older children required for this effect)
watch in nest of tins.
Safety Dicky birds (my routine Alchemy vol 2 no4. this is the only flat trick I perform it has nothing to do with birds but the Jack Hughes original did hence the title. It is actualy a really baffling Road safety trick that could be handed out for examination at the end)

Hope this helps you
Phillip
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Ease up, rapidmagic! How was I supposed to know it was a joke? There are more than 1700 registered members here and some strange views among them! (Of course, mine probably seem strange to them.)
Okay, you asked for advice:
First, I don't know if splitting the crowd is a good thing; the kids will always appear to be more interested in the group they are NOT in and that could hurt both shows.
Second, P.B. Jones' list leads off with the Miser's Dream and I heartily second that! Kids, for some reason, don't think you are a "real" magician unless you can pull coins from behind their ears.
You didn't mention what ages you are performing for but, in any case, keep the props big and colorful. And simple, (the kids like to think they are following what's going on, even if they aren't.)
And sucker tricks are usually a winner, but only if the "sting" is turned on you. Kids love it when an adult (especially one in authority and, in this case, that's the magician) is made the butt of the joke.
There are about a zillion more suggestions, gleaned over 50 years, but those will do for now.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
David Freeman
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
20 Posts

Profile of David Freeman
Rapidmagic,

The first thing I learned about children is that they are not very impressed with fancy sleight of hand or even great magic. You have to ENTERTAIN children and let magic be a vehicle to do it. You need to entertain by using funny storys, getting helpers up on stage to help you, goofing up tricks and finally getting it to work. Since you've worked with kids before then you know you have interact with them and most of all....FUN comes before magic!!!!

I used to perform 23 "tricks" for a 40 minute childrens show (boy was I stupid)! Smile Now I perform 5-6 ROUTINES that involve audience participation, shouting the magic word, laughter, and anticipation and get a MUCH better response (from kids and parents)! IMHO, you should get a book (or two) from David Ginn. "Kidbiz" changed my "magic life". It will give you great examples of how to entertain and have a great show!!! Good Luck! E-mail me if you have specific questions.

David
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Do you think a one coin routine ending with a Jumbo coin is too advanced or too much sleight of hand for a 7 year olds B-day party?? I am having a tough time deciding wether or not to do it.
Comments would be greatly appreciated
THanks
Tom Defrange Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I love kids and kids shows.
They love to be ENTERTAINED.

My nearly normal program used to be all magic.

Now it is mixed with puppets,(Master Craft Marionette Rock and Roller, and a soft puppet I use for ventriloquism.

The latest addition is the Giant/Dwarf that is no longer made.

Tom: I use the coin that falls up and change it to a C/D.(especially at library shows which gets me talking about the computer area. I used to always use the jumbo. These days I use the C/D finale as well as something like an apple or cookie, which was also mentioned by someone on the coin site.

I suggest coming up with things that are not standard among entertainers in YOUR area.

I use plenty of color and music and noise generators. We have a great Karoke style store that has great non copyrighted songs.
I choose to do parodies of "kid songs."
That way I can have one set of lyrics for the younger and another for the older group.

I also suggest strongly in taking or participating in an improvisational group.

My connection to the kids is based on them,their interest(ie. soccer, music, TV ie Dexter's Laboratory, the latest I have heard but not checked into is something like "Sponge Bob" - anyone know of this character?) and the environment of the particular show.

Let us know how it works.

I too am not sure about splitting the group unless you are talking about huge numbers of kids and your props are too small to be seen at a distance.

Harris Smile Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
David,
I agree with you! Patrick Smith is good also.
Rapid magic, I hope you read this form and also read the Carnival of fun area. I use a lot of regular magic props in my kids shows. I just routine them to children, use a lot of audience participation. Create a persona interesting for children and do magic that fits your character.
I often work with other entertainers and I am concerned about splitting the audience, and running two shows at one time.
Let us know how that works for you.
Smile
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
"Sponge Bob" -- this is "SpongeBob Squarepants" a cartoon on Nickolodeon.

Try this link to learn more:
http://www.nick.com/all_nick/tv_supersit......w_id=spo

Or, if that doesn't work, just go to http://www.nick.com and work your way through the site.

Jeff
MiNiM
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
111 Posts

Profile of MiNiM
Magic Tom asked about doing a one coin routine for kids. I think that it's not really the trick, but the presentation that matters. I like the idea of doing kids presentations of adult tricks.

I do a one coin routine with kids, featuring lots of bits to involve them - they're wiggling their fingers and shouting magic words to make an invisible coin become visible and vice versa, coins are plucked from their noses, which of course makes them yukky so I have to wipe them on my clothes (or theirs!)
The routine and the moves are the same as I would do for adults, but the presentation as been kidicised.

Cheers,

Bill
He asked me if I liked card tricks. I said "No." He did three. (W. Somerset Maugham)
DominotheGreat
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DominotheGreat
Any good gags for kidshows?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Tom, I have written about entertaining children using the skills and props that any good close-up worker would have to create entertaining routines. This has the advantage of getting you started quickly, cheaply, and using the skill-set you already possess. The article is here: http://www.magicireland.com . PM me if you want any specific advice.
It is not difficult to create an entertaining children's show if you can already do magic, and if you like kids, which your earlier posts seem to indicate. So you will have no problems. Good luck with it. Tony.

PS: To the other Tom; a local magician did a lot of impressive stuff for my two kids, which left them completely cold. Then he did a one coin routine ending with a Jumbo coin, and it blew them away. One was five, one was ten. Kids understand coins. They will go for that routine.
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
There are some great books on this:

Seriously Silly by Silly Billy (David Kaye) is a must read. You can't go wrong with Silly Billy's work. Besides the book, there is a companion DVD.

I'm currently enjoying Professional Magic for Children by David Ginn, an earlier book - great insights, a bit more emphasis on older, marketed routines, but still outstanding. I picked up the book here in the Let's Make a Deal section.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
mkmager
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mkmager
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 13:19, kerpa wrote:
There are some great books on this:

Seriously Silly by Silly Billy (David Kaye) is a must read. You can't go wrong with Silly Billy's work. Besides the book, there is a companion DVD.

^^2nd. It is about $40 if I remember correctly. Worth every penny. Good luck!
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Also, Humpty Dumpty trick, the "bake a cake" routine (or Dan Harlan's Magic Milkshake with an egg bag routine), linking rings, coloring book, Petshop Pranks, Wolf's Magic Blow Yur Stack, Wolf's Magic Funhouse, Derek Rutt's Haunted House.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Childrens Party Tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL