The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Calm magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
It seems to me that a lot of magicians who talk during their performance rely a lot on fun, that often means saying jokes or having gags. I find it then very difficult to do "serious" magic. After all, couldn't we entertain without trying to be witty? Shouldn't I be able to do miracles without being playful by telling people "if you don't wiggle your fingers and say twirlippweep the card won't raise to the top"?

Why do I think there are more magicians that are offensive (eg, Gazzo), noisy (eg, Tamariz), and all shades of clowns, than calm ones (eg, Hollingworth, Lavand)?

Can you give me names of close-up magicians who are just relaxed, calm, polite, or, dare I say, serious, and who yet get a good response?

Cheers,

P!
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Ricky Jay, maybe?
Darwin Ortiz.
Eugene Burger.
Martin Nash.

All pretty calm and laid back in style.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
It is a difficult style to succeed with in many performing situations. Those who create a venue for themselves where people are calm, quiet, respectful and pay attention can perform this way; circulating among a bunch of noisy drunks at a private party or corporate event, it doesn't work so well. Most performers have to find a performing persona that works in the venues they can book to make a living.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
On TV Comedy programs are thirty minutes long while Dramas run a full hour.

In the short time frame that one generally has for dong magic it's easier to entertain with a broad character than it is with a more dramatic nuamced one.

It's easier to tell a joke or relate a funny story in three minutes than it is to tell a tragic tale.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I can tell some tragic tales about many a magic show I've seen...
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
I'll rewatch the suggested magicians.
I started wondering about this, because one often hears one should be himself when doing magic, while I find it quite hard not to turn into a clown when I perform. If I really were able to do magic, I shouldn't have to make funny sounds, to fish for laughs. I should be able to do miracles, without saying things like "and now, the trick that even I don't understand!".

I guess it also shows that I'm doing too much improvisation, and not enough rehearsed patter.

But Pop hits a nail: who do I perform to? I guess I'll have to choose my audience, if I want to do the presentation I want...

P!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
You can be humorous and engaging while presenting even the most serious effects. There's a difference between inane "patter" and a well scripted performance.

The problem is that most "patter" is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the effect being presented. That's why it seems "clownish."
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Some more possible suggestions, (though I guess what counts as calm, serious etc may vary):

Michael Vincent
Joseph Barry
Derren Brown
Gerry Griffin
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I try to be funny and entertaining in a way that can hold a crowd of drunks, but that doesn't mean vapid or clownish.

Saying stupid stock lines and using overdone silliness is not the only way to use humor.

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
David Blaine has made a good career being relatively monotone.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On May 4, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
David Blaine has made a good career being relatively monotone.

I think that works best in his chosen venue of Television. I am not sure how well it would work in walk around at a corporate dinner. I know it wouldn't work on the street as a busker.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The are but three sorts of magician: the whimsical the witty and the wizard . The wizard nudges the occult, performing his magic in a rather serious way. Just be careful not to become too charlatan when playing the wizard. Smile and wink like at the end of the act or something.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
And why could a real wizard not be whimsical and witty?

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The other day I was at a dance school and saw a Chinese classical dance. It's like a silent play, very beautiful, magical in a spiritual way and calm. I was only there a few minutes to pick up my daughter. Anyway if your thinking of doing some sort of silent act I think it's something you might want to go and watch just for inspiration.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
A rolling stone gathers no moss.

Tommy
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I've been noticing this for a long time, and it seems to me like a lot of performers who inject comedy into their presentations do it "just because they think they have to." The material doesn't come across as natural, and it often doesn't have anything to do with the effect. I don't know if they believe that comedy is easier than a serious presentation, or if they think they're genuinely funny, or something else, but sometimes I want to scream, "Dude, just do the trick. It's fine by itself. You don't have to throw all that crap into it!"

Close-up magic doesn't do much for me (sorry, guys), but, to answer the OP, I saw Johnny Platt do the cups and balls many years ago, and it was magical. He was quiet, efficient, and totally credible.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Calm magic (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL