The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Delayed Veteran's Health Care » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
This was one of the motivating factors for my
relocation from Phoenix,Az. at The VA Hospital
on Indian School and Central Road to San Diego,Ca.
a few years ago.

I have documented proof of such delay as well.
To portray such belligerent comportment for
the administration is totally out of character
for me, but in this case is not out of order.

Story Link Part I

Veteran Deaths Part II

Does she sound or even appear credible?Her Version Watch her scurry.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
VA's been underfunded for a long time and these secret lists are a response to the wave of new veterans coming in given that the VA has been underfunded for so long. Politicians in a lot of cases redirect money that should be going to vets to other sources which help with their re-election from what I read one time. The current Iraq and Afghan veterans are a very small part of the voting population and when IAVA lobby's Congress, it's tough getting the politicians to listen when we are such a small number of voters and don't have a lot of money to contribute to the election or re-election campaigns of politicians.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
+1
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It sucks that when men and women who have sacrificed much are even in need of a voting block from any administration.

But each administration has their own opportunity to turn things around, and none ever seem to.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Don't blame the administration completely for this one, Danny. The number of veteran's bills blocked by our current Congress is astounding.

Further, the deliberate deception used in this case seems to have originated in that particular hospital and was against VA policy.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely Bob and I really meant it if Washington at large responsible more than a particular party.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Veterans have never really been taken care of that well or as much as they should to my knowledge and have always been used as some sort of political football issue so to speak for politicians who attack each other's record or run on certain issues. However, aside from all that, what was and still is far more important is protecting our country and our home from another 9/11 terrorist attack or something worse. That's what's really important. You will meet a lot of veterans of my generation who will tell you that 9/11 was a huge motivating factor for signing up. It was also what caused football player Pat Tillman to walk away from millions of dollars playing football for the NFL to sign up for the Army. To me, Pat Tillman was one of the finest NFL players or any kind of football player to ever play the game of football.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The way Tilman and his family were treated should tell you all you need to know about how the government views its cannon fodder.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On May 5, 2014, landmark wrote:
The way Tilman and his family were treated should tell you all you need to know about how the government views its cannon fodder.

True. Unfortunately, somebody had to go. Peace and security for any nation is underwritten by the credible deterrent of military power. I am sure Pat Tillman didn't volunteer to go overseas for the government but did it for his country and his home. It was terrible the way Pat Tillman's family was treated, but Pat Tillman is a hero, a team player, a leader and certainly set the example.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Quote:
On May 5, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
[
True. Unfortunately, somebody had to go. Peace and security for any nation is underwritten by the credible deterrent of military power.

+1, Look at what a crap hole of violence and insecurity Canada is!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

An interesting article here:

Quote:
A growing scandal over the manipulation of health care appointments resulted in an employee at a Wyoming clinic of the Department of Veterans Affairs being placed on administrative leave, VA Secretary Eric Shinseki said Friday.

An e-mail allegedly written by an employee in Cheyenne, obtained by CNN, says: "Yes, it is gaming the system a bit. But you have to know the rules of the game you are playing, and when we exceed the 14 day measure, the front office gets very upset, which doesn't help us. Let me know if this doesn't make sense."

The Navy Chief Hospital Corpsman who says she supplied the e-mail to investigators told CNN that employees were told to "game the system because it made Cheyenne look good."

Famous last words in bold. They don't look good now being plastered all over the national news.

Quote:
The e-mail outlined ways employees could manipulate the system to hide the fact that veterans had to wait months for appointments, said Lisa Lee, a scheduler at the VA clinic in Ft. Collins, Colorado, which is managed by the Wyoming clinic.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/09/us/va-scan......pt=hp_t2

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
With all the money the big business boys make from war, one would think, they might just have the decency, to give the ones who survived it but broke, a cut of the take. Maybe they do, but I have not heard of any of the big boys throwing anything into the pot to help them.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I've heard a lot of horror stories from my friends about the VA and I can't recall hearing a lot of positive ones.I hear tell, though, that our local VA has a pretty awesome Harvard grad on staff who is more interested in helping the Vets than in making more money elsewhere like she could be doing.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On May 10, 2014, critter wrote:
I've heard a lot of horror stories from my friends about the VA and I can't recall hearing a lot of positive ones.I hear tell, though, that our local VA has a pretty awesome Harvard grad on staff who is more interested in helping the Vets than in making more money elsewhere like she could be doing.

I have met a few good doctors at the VA outreach clinic that I go to (which is not the same thing as a main VA hospital). VA has some good doctors within it but I have also seen the waiting lists as well.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes government running health care for the VA is a nightmare in most cases. Sure glad we turned it that way for everyone.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Unfortunately it's not only VA hospitals that have this problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/19/opinion/19sat3.html?_r=0

Delays have been increasing in ERs. While the article is a few years old, it's still a current problem. A medical device company I worked with is developing mobile monitors for ER waiting rooms because they see a market.

Ironically one if the reasons the article gives for increasing ER wait times is the lack of universal health care. The uninsured don't have regular doctors so they either use ER as a doctor or wait until it gets so bad that they have to go to ER.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On May 10, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yes government running health care for the VA is a nightmare in most cases. Sure glad we turned it that way for everyone.

Actually, we didn't. Private insurers still provide the insurance and private doctors still provide the service. Only when we finally have universal care via a single payor system will the problem be completely solved. Unfortunately, continued obstructionism by those who are actually seeking to take away benefits from the middle and lower classes, guarantees that this will be a long time coming.
sammagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of sammagic
We should all thank serving and ex serving military people, in whatever country they live.

Whenever I meet a WW2 veteran, I shake his hand, and in my head I say 'Thank you'
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

You know, government is not the root of all evil Danny. Government does have place, you make it seem like we shouldn't have any sort of government at all the way you are talking. The private sector has it's place, but so does government. Not that government is the solution to all problems, but neither is the private sector that is based on some kind of lawless wild west capitalism either. Capitalism does need some regulation (it does not need to be over-regulated as that can harm economic growth) and answer to the law as well.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Quote:
On May 4, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Don't blame the administration completely for this one, Danny. The number of veteran's bills blocked by our current Congress is astounding.

Further, the deliberate deception used in this case seems to have originated in that particular hospital and was against VA policy.

It was the republicans that help me with my Agent Orange problems, not the Democrats.

If anything both democrats and republicans are dragging their feet to help veterans, especially wounded warriors.

You would think COPD would be related to inhaling Agent Orange, and it's not. You need to be dying before they consider helping soldiers.

The American Legion, and Veterans of Foreign Wars have done a lot in getting bills passed. Without them more would have died.

To all Vets, seek out a Service officer from your local American Legion, stop being proud and strong, and seek out, and talk to a Veteran Advocate.

Dennis Michael Dowhy
Service Officer
NJ American Legion Post 311
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Delayed Veteran's Health Care » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL