The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 1 inch sponge balls tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Hi guys, I got a set of 4 sponge balls and I'm wondering what's the best tricks to perform with those. I like to perform magic on restaurants and bars, or almost any close up situation. Thanks!
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
Paul Green in his "In the Trenches" DVD teaches a great routine using 1" and 2" spongeballs. It shows him performing it at the Magic Castle.

Plus, you get a lot of other great material, from coins to ropes to cards. Highly recommended!!

Bill Beach
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I love making 2 appear in the spectator's hand. For me the most powerful magic takes place within the spectators hands.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Koolmagic114
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
There is a ton of sponge ball magic out there. If you can find it there is a book, (a bit more on the expensive side if you can find it) Garcia Encyclopedia of sponge ball magic" Has eveything and anything you would want to know on sponge ball magic.

But there is another small pamplet put out by Magic City called spong ball magic.

Also there is a DVD put out also called Easy To Master SpongeBall MAgic (or something like that) But it is only like a $15 DVD. SOme very good tricks and ideas on there.

Eddy
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Thanks for the help guys, I wil try to find some of the sources you mention here.
acediamonds
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of acediamonds
You could always do the classic Cups and Balls trick using the balls you have. You have probably heard of it already. It works great for a young audience.

acediamonds Smile
D
I
ACE
M
O
N
D
S
Tony Ley
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FLorida
46 Posts

Profile of Tony Ley
Jimsilhy -
For a couple of REALLY great routines that will set you far apart from the typical sponge job, check out John Carney's routine Current Classic from his absolutely incredible book, Carneycopia. A VERY strong routine can be found in Michael Ammar's Encore 3. Inside the book you'll find Roger Klause's sponge routine, simply titled Sponge Ball Up Sleeve. If you're not familiar with the routine, here's the effect description right from the book:

'EFFECT: A sponge ball disappears only to reappear up the sleeve of the SPECTATOR'S coat! Then, incredibly enough, the effect is REPEATED.'

Think about that! In his write-up of his own routine, John Carney even includes a spot where you can work the Klause routine into his own to make a spectacularly strong routine.
One other fun sponge thing to check out is Michael Ammar's 'repackaged' sponge rabbits. You could not ask for a better little sponge routine that opens itself up to bits of business. You can do the sponge bunnies with a little blue humor at the bar and your buddies OR you could be sticky sweet with it in front of the kiddies. And the instructions are typical Ammar; clear, concise, and letter-perfect. I worked at a sad little magic shop not too long ago. We got in a shipment of those cute little bunnies. I'd never done sponge ANYTHING before! Five minutes after I opened the box and looked at the instructions, I performed it for a family and we had the best time with it!

Hope this helps,
Tony Ley
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
If you want a brill sponge ball routine and many other brilliant tricks then go to ultimatemagic.com
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Have a look at Scott F. Guinn´s "Peanut Butter and Jelly" routine. You need three sponge balls and two simple and inexpensive props. You will find this on Guinn´s DVD "Great Scott, It´s Magic". I own it and it´s very good. He also has the routine in written form. He was recently selling out all his stock.

Suerte!

José
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Thanks to all for the replies, I'm so busy right now with Wilson's book, RRTCM, Bobo's book and more stuff that I have already a big waiting list. It's just that I think small sponges will be a fun routine even in bars/clubs where I usually perform (just for fun)... Also I like to practice a lot the tricks before showing them, so I don't expose anything...
José, gracias! Te mando un PM...
Oz Fan
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Oz Fan
Check out Hampton Ridge 25 amazing tricks with sponge balls.
Blake S.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day

You have received a great lot of excellant info to follow up with. I would like the time to check it all out myself.

I noticed that you mentioned that you have one of Wilson's books that you are using as a basis for your sponge ball routine. I have developed on the routine in Wilson's "Cyclopedia of Magic" and am finding it to be very effective in the walk around setting.

Today we did a stage show at a local high school with about 1,000 in the audience. After the show we were invited into the "playgrond" (that is a common Australian word that describes the outdoor area of the school and I am not sure how it translates into other countries). Any way in the playground we made some baloon animals and performed some close up magic completly surrounded. I pulled of my sponge routine without a hitch including what I consider to be a dangerous fnal load of 4th ball from my pocket with absolutley no reason to be putting my hand in the pocket. It works with some subtle misdirection. I felt great and the young audience were most encouraging.

Enjoy working with those squishy little balls.

Bob Latta (Troppo Bob)

:jump:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 1 inch sponge balls tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL