The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Misers dream concerns (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
I'm strongly thinking about doing the Miser's dream, but there are a couple things I'm concerned about.

On most miser's dreams routines that I've seen, a kid is invited on stage, and coins are produced with their help. Some frequent moves involve touching them in unusual ways, like squeezing their noses to make coins come out. Obviously it doesn't hurt them, but has anyone ever had any instances of the volonteer (or their parents) being unhappy about this, or thinking that it's inappropriate?

Another move that I'm concerned about is where the volonteer is asked to grab a coin from the air and then drop it into the bucket, and they hear it. It would seem like this would be easy for them to figure out, and on one instruction video I have, it advises not to let the audience see inside the bucket at all when the coins are dropped (obviously the volonteer would see inside unless they throw it from a distance).

Also does anyone know of a good source for extra large coins for the finalle?
plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
Most children don't have a problem with being touched with permission (unless you happen to be an exceptionally creepy magician- no doubt there are plenty of those) but do make sure to get the parent's and child's permission before the presentation. As part of a stage act, as you select the volunteer, or ask for one, inform them of what the act will involve and briefly ask the parent's permission. You need not even touch the volunteer, but rather produce coins from an inch or two away from their person, with minimal contact. As for seeing inside the bucket, this is not a problem if you control angles carefully, depending on the setup of the stage. With a child onstage, you would need to kneel or hold the bucket lower for the child to drop the coin in, but if you have them drop it from alongside you, angles should not be an issue for the volunteer. For the rest of the spectators, having the bucket low enough for a child to reach it could expose the inside, but if the stage is raised enough it probably won't happen. I do an impromptu miser's dream in a more casual environment with a plastic bag, with the auditory illusion coming from the coins clinking against each other rather than the bucket. With a clear plastic sandwich bag, it is impossible to hide the inside of the bag, but the motion of dropping the coins is entirely hidden by larger movements. Remember that the only dangerous moment for a spectator to see is the actual coin leaving the hand, after that, it just looks like a coin falling into the bucket. Careful timing of the tilt of the bucket for a split second could ensure nobody sees the volatile moment, but a small movement may hint at something fishy. I would rather hold my wrist still and have a larger movement of the bucket downward, as if to soften the impact of the falling coin, cover the move.
I would suggest checking out Jeff McBride's miser's dream for good management of the volunteer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTyYJInSRWQ
Finally, I would point you to Teller's lecture on the Miser's dream for valuable advice, and to remind you that the miser's dream doesn't necessarily need to be an effect involving children specifically. If you are doing a children's show, then by all means, share the magic with as many of them as possible. If performing for a more general audience, remember that this trick is a miraculous production that can be appreciated at face value, but also artistically. With so much repitition involved, feel free to add artistry and elegance to the act, or whatever your character/persona would dictate (perhaps a filthy crook's dream rather than a miser's dream). It is tiring seeing the same interpretation of the miser's dream over and over again from so many performers. I, personally, like to present it as a pickpocketing act, with the places I produce coins from escalating in absurdity.

Sorry for the long wordy response, but here are my thoughts.
Chris
allusions
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of allusions
Never had any issue with touching the kids. Most of the time its on the elbow, knee, or ear anyways nothing wierd. As for the coin going into the bucket, I tell the kid to actually place thier hand in the bucket and out of the audiences view and then I Drop the coin. Still doesn't fool the kid but looks better to the audience.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello JB!

I started doing the "coin pail" in 1946. At first, I did the "Tarbell" routine, complete with the safety pin droppers, as taught me by the late STUART ROSS, my first mentor. I "progressed" through a Champagne glass and TOMMY DOWNS p*lm (trying to be "swayve & deboner", and returned to a pail. The "bucket" now CLOSES MY SCHOOL SHOW (or any show for kids or families). I CAN'T FOLLOW IT!

I've written up my routine, in my book, with full details. It uses a non gaffed pail, and a few silver dollars. NO DIFFICULT SLEIGHTS. At the finish, as I dismiss (as many as 20 kids!) I can "reset" in 5 seconds.

For years, before I retired, when playing magicians conventions, the producer would specify: "Do your Misers Dream."

Harry Blackstone (pere et fils) had their "committee" with deck of cards, and hunk of rope. The MD is/was my "committee".

I've NEVER had the slightest problem with producing coins from a kid's nose, ear, hair, etc. I've done the pail, perhaps 20,000 times in schools and family audiences.

The bit with a boy "catching a coin" and tossing it into the pail, is FUNNY. JUST DON'T OVER DO IT!!! (Once or twice!)

Feel free to PM me.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
JB - No one ever has an issue with the invisible coin even if your timing is off.

It's magic... there's supposed to be an element of surprise.
It's magic, the audience does not know what to expect.
It's magic..... make it magic.
It's magic. the audience expects to use their imagination.

As far as pulling a coin from a kids nose or ear, You're standing right there in front of an audience. This shouldn't be a problem... now if you wanted to do the trick in the woods on a dark night when no one else was around........ That's a different issue.

(looking at your website) I see that you have an Assistants Revenge... How do parents feel about you being in a small enclosed space with a female and hiding behind a curtain where no one can see you?
plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
Haha, excellent point, Jay. Miser's dream is so wonderful- so many productions without it being too repetitive or overkill!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Apparently, the OP has little or no interest !!!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Or......... No money Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2015, jay leslie wrote:

Oh, he has money!
plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
Quote:

not enough money for a bucket and some coins? Check out his website; he's got tons of props! (And tons of K'nex, too apparently - some farily impressive creations)
This was a very helpful and informative thread. Hopefully someone in the future will find use of this.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, plmqaz1243 wrote:
Quote:

not enough money for a bucket and some coins? Check out his website; he's got tons of props! (And tons of K'nex, too apparently - some farily impressive creations)
This was a very helpful and informative thread. Hopefully someone in the future will find use of this.

Hello Chris!

Pardon my ignorance! What the hekk is a K'nex?!

Th'nx!

Dick
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
A lot of great information on this topic:) But just to point out it looks to me like Jeremy posted his questions in May 2014 and after more than a year only recently got his first response.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
That sir, is a good point.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2015, Kanawati wrote:
A lot of great information on this topic:) But just to point out it looks to me like Jeremy posted his questions in May 2014 and after more than a year only recently got his first response.

That us because he posted his question in the close-up coin section of the Café, and as we all know, the Miser's Dream is stage presentation.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Some information is worth waiting for...

imagine 'back in the day'...when there was no Magic Café' and you had to do all your own research!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, plmqaz1243 wrote:
Quote:

Hello Chris!

Pardon my ignorance! What the hekk is a K'nex?!

Th'nx!

Dick

Used for building models http://www.illusionswithjeremy.com/jeremy-s-creations/
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hello JB!

I started doing the "coin pail" in 1946. At first, I did the "Tarbell" routine, complete with the safety pin droppers, as taught me by the late STUART ROSS, my first mentor. I "progressed" through a Champagne glass and TOMMY DOWNS p*lm (trying to be "swayve & deboner", and returned to a pail. The "bucket" now CLOSES MY SCHOOL SHOW (or any show for kids or families). I CAN'T FOLLOW IT!

I've written up my routine, in my book, with full details. It uses a non gaffed pail, and a few silver dollars. NO DIFFICULT SLEIGHTS. At the finish, as I dismiss (as many as 20 kids!) I can "reset" in 5 seconds.

For years, before I retired, when playing magicians conventions, the producer would specify: "Do your Misers Dream."

Harry Blackstone (pere et fils) had their "committee" with deck of cards, and hunk of rope. The MD is/was my "committee".

I've NEVER had the slightest problem with producing coins from a kid's nose, ear, hair, etc. I've done the pail, perhaps 20,000 times in schools and family audiences.

The bit with a boy "catching a coin" and tossing it into the pail, is FUNNY. JUST DON'T OVER DO IT!!! (Once or twice!)

Feel free to PM me.

Mr Oslund has been so kind as to mail me (by the traditional snail mail from America to Malaysia) a hard copy of his MANUSCRIPT and INSTRUCTIONS for his own Miser's Dreams routine. I have read it through at least 5 times and is astounded by his routine. It is brilliant! He is so kind to send it to me for free when I asked him about the Miser's Dream in a topic somewhere in the Café about 5 months ago.

Now, THAT is a real magician.

Mr Oslund really resonates the motto, "Magicians helping magicians."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
When someone says Miser's Dream, this is what comes to my mind.

The Master of Manipulation and artistry.

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I just "snuk" in here again! THANKS QUENTIN and plmquaz! I grew up with Tinker Toys!

Right Bill! Nielsen does a fine Misers Dream. His coin ladder is even "tuned"!!!

When I was MUCH YOUNGER (!) I did the MD (trying to be "suave and debonair"). THAT style didn't work for ME!!!
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
A great act from a great performer. Thanks for posting that. I keep asking myself how much work did he have to put into that act?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Misers dream concerns (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL