The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Where can I hide a neo magnet? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Justanotheramateur
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Justanotheramateur
I wanted to buy a PK ring, but I think it's too expensive for me, because I only want to stop watches with it (and I'm 14 years old, so I don't think a ring looks normal. The spectators are propably going to think that the ring does the work). That's why I want to buy a small neo magnet (small is about 1cm or maybe a little bit bigger). But the problem is: I don't know how to hide the magnet! I very often wear short sleeves, but sometimes I wear a jacket. Do you know how I can hide the magnet? You should help me a lot with it!

With kind regards,

Joost
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
If you know the classic way to make a silk hank vanish that might give you a idea. aslo look at the rubber charity bracelets.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Justanotheramateur
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Thanks Custard, that's a really good idea (the silk hank idea). I think I'm going to use that.

More ideas are always welcome!!
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
Small bandaid round the base of one finger with the mag underneath.
Cut it so it doesn´t go around the finger and doesn´t show from above. Looks a Little better.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
Sorry, I just noticed you wanted a mag from 1 cm. Won't work with a band aid then...
Maybe in the palm?

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
Justanotheramateur
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Thanks Mikael, I will try. I think btw that the silk idea isn't that great, because everybody will see it when standing next to me
Justanotheramateur
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Quote:
On May 5, 2014, Leo-Kim wrote:
Sorry, I just noticed you wanted a mag from 1 cm. Won't work with a band aid then...
Maybe in the palm?

Mikael Johansson
Sweden

Are there some smaller ones available wich can stop watches too? The smaller, the better!
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
There are neos available in all sizes. Like the round Mercury (but I don´t Think they have Mercury in them anymore) batteries you use in watches. one of those works with the band aid idea. I have not tried to stop a Watch with a mag of that size so I don´t know how reliable it is, but they are cheap so just get one and try.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
Giacomo Moretti
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Giacomo Moretti
Another idea would be to wear the magnet with a string or chain around your neck. You would obviously wear it out-off sight below your t-shirt, sweater or whatever you like to wear. Make the string/chain long enough that the magnet hangs just above your solar plexus. To stop a watch you would hold it with the fingertips of both hands and slowly move it towards your chest.

I have done this many times. Nobody will ever realize this movement. Also, nobody will expect a magnet there. Especially since it is out-off sight. Your hands and fingers are completely "clean" at all times. Nothing needs to be disposed. The spectators can come as close as they want to the watch. They will never see anything.

Just give it a try.

Best regards,
G.M.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I'm not sure how practical it will be in the long run anyhow. The OP stated "He only wants to stop watches" unfortunately, hardly anyone wears the type watch that can be stopped that way anymore. Most people (A) don't even wear one because everyone has a cell phone with the correct time on it. and (B) out of those who wear watches, the major majority of them are digital (which is why so many kids cant tell time from a clock face for the past 30 years or so). (C) many who do wear one... It is a nice and very expensive one... YOU MUST BE CAREFUL - you CAN damage the watch doing this effect. That is why I quit doing it almost 20 years ago.

I have had to really back off on one of my favorites - the Chappy Brazil Watch steal for many of the same reasons... Then a lot of people who still wear one have the stretchy band that you cant use)
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Justanotheramateur
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Quote:
On May 7, 2014, Giacomo Moretti wrote:
Another idea would be to wear the magnet with a string or chain around your neck. You would obviously wear it out-off sight below your t-shirt, sweater or whatever you like to wear. Make the string/chain long enough that the magnet hangs just above your solar plexus. To stop a watch you would hold it with the fingertips of both hands and slowly move it towards your chest.

I have done this many times. Nobody will ever realize this movement. Also, nobody will expect a magnet there. Especially since it is out-off sight. Your hands and fingers are completely "clean" at all times. Nothing needs to be disposed. The spectators can come as close as they want to the watch. They will never see anything.

Just give it a try.

Best regards,
G.M.

Thanks Giacomo! Great idea! But do you know how large the magnet has to be to stop a watch?

Joost
Giacomo Moretti
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

@ Justanotheramateur:

You ask about the strength of the magnet required.

You will only need a very small magnet since you can bring the watch very close to your chest touching or almost touching the magnet. The t-shirt (or whatever you are wearing) will make sure that there is no sound if the magnet touches the watch. People are stopping watches all the time with a PK ring. So any magnet with the strength of a PK ring should do. However, you can also use a bigger magnet. For example I have used the Relic "silver" coin (from Outlaw-Effects) (that comes with a neck chain) to stop watches.

Best,
G.M.
Giacomo Moretti
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Here is another thought on the issue of "damaging" mechanical watches with a magnet.

It is in fact very rare that the watch is damaged in a way that it no longer works at all. In fact it has never happened to me.

However, you should be aware that applying magnetism to a mechanical watch will make it less accurate pretty much 100% of the time. So when you stop an expensive Rolex watch the watch will be a few minutes off per day (instead of a few seconds off per month). I know this as a fact since I was stupid enough to try this on my own watch.

Something to keep in mind.

Best,
G.M.
Justanotheramateur
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Quote:
On May 15, 2014, Giacomo Moretti wrote:
Here is another thought on the issue of "damaging" mechanical watches with a magnet.

It is in fact very rare that the watch is damaged in a way that it no longer works at all. In fact it has never happened to me.

However, you should be aware that applying magnetism to a mechanical watch will make it less accurate pretty much 100% of the time. So when you stop an expensive Rolex watch the watch will be a few minutes off per day (instead of a few seconds off per month). I know this as a fact since I was stupid enough to try this on my own watch.

Something to keep in mind.

Best,
G.M.

Thanks for your advice
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22842 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, Justanotheramateur wrote:

Thanks for your message, Daddy. I'm not afraid to damage some watches, I don't think it happens very frequently. And I know a lot of people who still wear an analog watch.

Joost

This is called criminal intend to damage or destroy other people's personal property, knowingly and on purpose, and is a punishable offense.

Before buying a new watch for everyone you magnetize, I suggest you purchase a demagnetizer. It is cheaper then getting involved with the legal system, and possibly having to buy a new $400,000.00 watch. Actually, that kind of damage could land you in prison for a while. On second thought maybe you should buy some good liability insurance.

Being you have to ask about the power of a magnet - my advice would be, if you have not researched a trick or effect enough to know all aspects of it, then you should not mess with things you know nothing about. Educate yourself first, or pay the consequences.

It is like the old Wizard told the young apprentice, do not mess with powers you know nothing about.
Justanotheramateur
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 2, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, Justanotheramateur wrote:

Thanks for your message, Daddy. I'm not afraid to damage some watches, I don't think it happens very frequently. And I know a lot of people who still wear an analog watch.

Joost

This is called criminal intend to damage or destroy other people's personal property, knowingly and on purpose, and is a punishable offense.

Before buying a new watch for everyone you magnetize, I suggest you purchase a demagnetizer. It is cheaper then getting involved with the legal system, and possibly having to buy a new $400,000.00 watch. Actually, that kind of damage could land you in prison for a while. On second thought maybe you should buy some good liability insurance.

Being you have to ask about the power of a magnet - my advice would be, if you have not researched a trick or effect enough to know all aspects of it, then you should not mess with things you know nothing about. Educate yourself first, or pay the consequences.

It is like the old Wizard told the young apprentice, do not mess with powers you know nothing about.

Well my friend, that's why I use this forum. This is my education, learning from experienced magicians. Of course I don't want to damage someone's properties. I meant that I'm not afraid of performing this effect, and accepting the consequenses.

Thanks for your reply,

Joost
Justanotheramateur
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

I've found the solution. I used little bit of double stick tape to let 1 tiny neo magnet stick to the nail of my first finger. When I press my finger against the back of the watch, the magnet pulls exactly hard enough to stop the watch
DTJK
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of DTJK
Just get a PK ring..
Justanotheramateur
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

I'm a child. I don't wear rings, so it should be too obvious to wear one ;-)
Holistic Magic
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Holistic Magic
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, Justanotheramateur wrote:. I'm not afraid to damage some watches, I don't think it happens very frequently. And I know a lot of people who still wear an analog watch.

If even one watch out of a hundred can be damaged, then this is reckless and should not be done. Most people who would be wearing an analog watch are wearing something special. I don't think they will be wearing a cheap analog watch. Maybe the watch was handed down, maybe it was a retirement gift, for sure the majority of these watches are expensive. There is so many other tricks that can be done, why not do something responsible rather than acting like an irresponsible kid? For sure your attitude is "flip." Not my watch, not my problem. How would you feel if someone came on stage and smashed one of your valued props? For sure if you ruined my watch I would "ring your neck." Yes that's an old person saying, the same demographic of people who would be wearing something that is special to them and obviously not to you. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Where can I hide a neo magnet? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL