The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Google AdSense (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EliTheIllusionist
View Profile
Regular user
York, PA
191 Posts

Profile of EliTheIllusionist
Is anyone actively utilizing Google AdSense on their websites? Or do you choose to not use it to give your web site the uncluttered look? One of my friends told me I should be using it. I already know exactly what it is and does. I just "prefer" a clean site though. Any thoughts you have would be helpful.

-E
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
First of all, it is absolutely unprofessional to subject potential clients to advertising. You are interrupting their otherwise enjoyment of your website.

Second, even if they do click on the ad, you're sending potential customers or fans to someone else's business. No good.

Lastly, even if you did earn money from the ads, they would literally be pennies compared to the money you could have made selling your show to a client.

Do not listen to your friend.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Also, your website has a lot going on. Selling your show, plus members areas, store, social media feeds, etc. I personally think your site could be cleaned up by separating selling your show vs. Selling magic tricks to magicians. Just a thought.

Also, if you have a forum, that would be a more suited place to put ads. But more targeted affiliate links would yield better results than Adsense. Adsense truly doesn't pay much
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
If you use Adsense your visitors will be taken to another magicians website and if their website/show looks better to to the visitor you've just lost a sale.

Sure, you might make a couple bucks (like $2-$10) a month, but you set yourself up for the possibility to lose shows to competitors.

Josh
Josh
EliTheIllusionist
View Profile
Regular user
York, PA
191 Posts

Profile of EliTheIllusionist
Quote:
On May 5, 2014, Close.Up.Dave wrote:
Also, your website has a lot going on. Selling your show, plus members areas, store, social media feeds, etc. I personally think your site could be cleaned up by separating selling your show vs. Selling magic tricks to magicians. Just a thought.

Also, if you have a forum, that would be a more suited place to put ads. But more targeted affiliate links would yield better results than Adsense. Adsense truly doesn't pay much

Thanks Dave. We do a lot of BOR sales and the site helps with some of that too. Not a ton, but it is supplemental, as we advertise to the audience.

-E
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Ah that makes sense.

Not saying you shouldn't link to the shop. But it's helpful for both the people buying magic and shopping for a show to not get mixed sales messages. If I were looking to buy an act I would get overwhelmed on your site looking for info. It's great that the bor is working for you, that you have followers, etc.

But there's no clear path if what the user needs to do. The lay out of the site has a ton of black, scrolling pictures, a strobe effect of logos that makes me want to have a siezure lol

I highly recommend going to www.sethgodin.com and reading his free ebook on website layouts. Then, checking out E-lance and/or fiverr and having a developer work on the layout. It's great to have a main hub of your stuff, but it's useless if the user doesn't know where you want them directed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Google AdSense (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL