The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Parasol newbie question. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hood
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Hood
I know this may have been covered many times but I am a complete beginner and very new to parasols but have been thinking of adding it to a piece in my show is it possible to produce them if I am performing without sleeves, no coat or long sleeve shirt?

Thank you
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I'm guessing that would be a "no"

Jim
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
It can be done with relatively simple apparatus. I have a friend whose act begins with a parasol production that does not involve a coat or sleeves.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
There are different type of body loads that can be used that don't require the clothing you mentioned. There are some props you could use but, personally, I think the body loads make the production seem more magical.

Purchase a parasol magic DVD. One is easily available from most magic stores.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was about 6, (1938) when I saw my first magician at school. Stanley the Magician opened with a parasol production from a foulard! WOW!

Seven years later, I did my 'first' show on THAT SAME stage! I had met Stanley some months before and he showed me his parasol. It became MY opening trick for several years. A co-t was needed. I still demo it when I lecture. Properly used, a production from a foulard is great.

Harry Blackstone Sr. at one time opened by producing a goat from a foulard. PM me if you like, regarding PROPER USE OF FOULARD. Ed Reno produced four bowls full of water from a 'rag'!

Several Japanese magicians have modernized the technique. Jimmy Joza has mentioned a DVD, and notes that a co-t is not needed. Sounds like it would be well worth looking into.

S--f opening parasols are available today. I had to "improvise" mine from a child's sun parasol. At first 2 rubber bands (what Gene Anderson calls "variable tension grippers" were used to motivate. When "245" balloons became available in the '50s, I used them. They made tension adjustment much easier and the bslloon color matched the parasol color.

Stanley came on with the foulard. He began by saying, "I heard that it might rain today, so I brought along my umbrella!" (He shook the foulard, and the parasol appeared on the floor. That first trick helped determine my life's work!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I love parasol magic. I have several in my act. although most need the coat I have 2 that do not.

getting some parasol dvds would be helpful.
i have never seen any other then the joker Lam video.

they play big and colorful so they always get good reactions.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Just a thought here but any one with knowledge of parasol DVDs maybe we could list them here

i am not aware of many so it would be very helpful.

thanks

ill start

Joker Lam - Parasol Anywhere
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Deleting duplicate post
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On May 6, 2014, Hood wrote:
I know this may have been covered many times but I am a complete beginner and very new to parasols but have been thinking of adding it to a piece in my show is it possible to produce them if I am performing without sleeves, no coat or long sleeve shirt?

Thank you

Yes. The first parasol can appear using a silk and trousers. The second can appear using or not using a vest.
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
You can have parasols in your trousers and on your back, if you don't turn around.

RJH
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
388 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Regards,
Silverthorne
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 6, 2014, Hood wrote:

Thank you

Simple answer to your question is yes. Remember this is "STAGE" magic. Not close-up or where the audience is within several feet of the performer. Also you don't want to be hitting your audience in the head with your parasols.

It would be best if you stated what you would wear, not what you do not want to wear. I must mention if you are being a paid performer, then you should look the part and be professional in your speech, manners and attire of dress.

It has been stated that long sleeve command respect, and shows authority. You could wear tight fitting long sleeves, like in turtle neck or mock turtle neck slip over shirts. Showing the bare arms is not appropriate for professionals. Note the television sitcoms, movies, and television shows. The actors wear long sleeve shirts running around in 120 degree weather.

Manipulation requires creativity and thought from the performer. Asking us if certain cloths are required, does not actually help you, as you don't know what I mean, as you do not have my or any of the above members experience with parasol production magic. Part of the fun of magic is to be different and bring something new to the art. I suggest you get the DVD and a few parasols, study the DVD several times, then start playing around with ideas, moves, and gestures. Check your ideas before mirror or video cam, and make adjustments as needed.

Good Luck in your adventure.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Well said, Bill. Hood, take Bill's advice. He supported me a lot with my feather flower act.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Parasol newbie question. (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL