The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Caterpillar to Butterfly silks opener- fun! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
When I was at the wonderful Taylor, Michigan FCM Creative Ministries Conference in April, I bought from Barry Mitchell www.BarryMitchell.com his new beautiful Caterpillar to Butterfly silks plus the little simple green change pouch that he also sells separately very inexpensively. These new silks are colorful, "modern" looking (more than just outlines), really nice ones that Barry sells. I give them the Bus A+++++ rating! See Barry's website for information, the trick basically is a cute worm silk is placed into a green pouch, then the silk pops out of it totally changed to a new beautiful butterfly silk (and the worm silk has vanished). I believe this trick can be a fun short opener for about any type of children's program.

I wanted to use these new colorful silks as my opener, I really liked the idea of starting out with a fun "Fred" song like Barry did in his lecture (he used the routine on DVD that comes with the silks- the words he rewrote to "Puff The Magic Dragon"). The silks also comes with Barry's non-singing routine.

I just thought the above was a wonderful idea! I rewrote the lyrics to the theme song of "The Beverly Hillbillies" (which can be found on www.youtube.com) which I am more familiar with, and submitted my lyrics to Barry. Note, the last verse of the song can be found at the end of The Beverly Hillbillies tv show, first two verses are at the beginning of the show. You coincide the actions of the trick with the words of the song as you sing them of course, see Barry's DVD.

Barry and Sherry modified some of my lyrics and were very enthused about it as well-as it is just really, really, really fun to sing/perform! It works great with the trick, it is fast but not too fast, and you can sing the words with lots of emphasis (like slowly saying "butterfly" in a lower voice).

I am going to do this new song for the first time this weekend to open both of my small programs I am doing for kids Saturday and Sunday. Barry already posted these lyrics to his facebook page (that was an honor- it is always an encouragement when someone else likes my ideas other than myself) and I was so glad we wrote out a great brand new routine. This is one of the really fun things about Gospel magic! (being creative). Hope you can use it!, pretty easy tune to remember also.

"A Worm Named Fred" (sung to the Beverly Hillbillies Theme), by Roger Magic Bus, Barry and Sherry Mitchell

Come and listen to a story bout a worm named Fred
A little caterpillar, barely kept his-self fed,
Then one day he was crawling for some food,
When up from his head something started to protrude.

Strong silk that is, super strong, made a green chrysalis
(note: cocoon- pronounced chris-a-lis, this is where I introduce the green pouch)

Well the first thing you know Fred's hanging in the air,
His nature said, "Fred start moving 'round in there!"
He thought: "Outside, is the place you wanna be,"
So Fred began to twitch, He was trying to be free,

Metamorphosis that is, complete change, butterfly.

Well now its time to leave his home hanging off a limb,
And Fred would like to thank you folks for kindly dropping in,
Let's gather round and watch right now and see Fred spread his wings,
And see a heapin' helping of God's amazing things.
(Secular version: And see a heapin' helping of the world's amazing things.)

Monarch that is, miracle flying in the sky, take your breath away.

Y'all come back now, ya hear.

Some other notes from the conference: I also bought from Barry Mitchell the terrific "The Magic Box" which is a great children's story. However, at the very beginning of the story with the four spectators on stage, I first "collect high taxes" from each of them in a comedy fashion using Tricky Ricky's very, very simple "Misers Dream" bucket and device (which I also bought at the conference from Tricky Ricky Henson). Just a fun way to introduce the Miser's Dream quickly without too much fanfare.

I also saw at Dollar Tree store at several children's books based on Daniel and the Lion's Den story (pictured on the cover even). Great to read along/use while doing the Laflin "Daniel and the Lions" den rope trick!
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On May 7, 2014, MagicBus wrote:
Some other notes from the conference: I also bought from Barry Mitchell the terrific "The Magic Box" which is a great children's story. However, at the very beginning of the story with the four spectators on stage, I first "collect high taxes" from each of them in a comedy fashion using Tricky Ricky's very, very simple "Misers Dream" bucket and device (which I also bought at the conference from Tricky Ricky Henson). Just a fun way to introduce the Miser's Dream quickly without too much fanfare.

I purchased Barry's "Magic Box" several months ago and have used it twice. Both times with great reactions. You can modify the script to focus on whatever theme you wish by changing the shout out of the "Penniless Pauper." I have also dressed it up with props for each volunteer...a large sultan hat for the Sultan, a tin cup for the pauper, a colorful graduation hat with propeller for the professor, and a small dumbbell weight for the sportsman (pink in color to get extra laughs.) I also use the "applause please" card after introducing the volunteers, and offer a coin from the "magic box" after the program to all children (giving away gold scripture coins.) Gets a lot of parents taking pictures. Fun prop.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I cannot remember if this was discussed before, what do you use as your "opener" to your Gospel magic programs? I think I found my new one (see above routine) for young kids programs for sure.

When I do programs with MagicBob and SuZie (and I have one with him this Saturday at 11AM at the Evergreen South apartment complex clubhouse in Kalamazoo), MagicBob often opens the show with a short magic routine to music which really establishes him as a "magician"/good performer. I filmed MagicBob doing one his openers several years ago- it can be viewed at www.ChristianMagician.org at "More Than Magic!" #4 at the 8:25 minute mark in that video program. He does some silk changes, cane changes, Patriotic ropes, Aero-static glass water suspension (MagicBob did the old regular version that works just fine in that video, but there is a new nice one out by Whit "Pop" Haydn/School for Scoundrels).

Terrific comments on "The Magic Box" above, wow, I may go with those ideas too, just really excellent. Great addition to an already great routine by Barry Mitchell. Barry said in April it is one of his favorite routines to perform.

That's what I like about The Magic Café' is when you can pick up little gem routine additions like those suggested above.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
Folkmanis has a "puppet" some of you might consider.
It turns inside out to go from a caterpiller to you guessed it a Butterfly.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I will be doing the "Fred the caterpillar to butterfly" song above as part of the 2014 Guinness Record Attempt For Most Magicians (hope to have 150) in a Magic Show in Colon, Michigan, on August 6 from 1pm-4pm. Each trick must last a minimum of one minute and be a complete trick with a beginning, middle and end. Trying to have 150 performers over 3 hours. All participants have to hold an IBM, SAM or The Magic Circle membership- I believe a current FCM membership would also be accepted. Download application at http://mostmagicians.com/magicblog/application/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Caterpillar to Butterfly silks opener- fun! (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL