We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Why...and...what's the point? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
This is yet another attempt by some people to in a 'round about way try to steer me away from escapes. The ring had it's Christmas party this past Saturday night. I was one of the performers, and yes, I did escapes instead of the numerous card tricks that were performed. After the party was over, one of the magician came up to me and wanted to ask me about my escape routine. He was asking questions like, "why are you doing that?" and "What's the point of what you are doing?" I was a bit taken aback by that and was left speechless for a couple of seconds. For those of you who know me, that was a feat in itself! I finally told this magician that it was a form of entertainment...why does the magician make the spectator pick a card, lose the card in the deck, then find the card? It's all entertainment. I just choose to entertain with handcuffs, chains, and padlocks instead of a deck of cards and coins.
So, how would you answer this question if it was posed to you?
By the way, most people had nothing but good things to say about my routine...it's amazing what one can do with a hairpin!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hi All and Happy New Year! Sorry I've been away for a bit but I have caught up on all the messages. Margarette, I would say that since the vast majority of people only had nice things to say then you shouldn't be overly concerned with the comments of one individual. There's always going to be one or more people that no amount of convincing will reach. As entertainers we sometimes have to have thick skin, as we will not always be appreciated by everyone. I heard recently a story about a famous disc jockey who admits he used to smash Elvis Presley records when Elvis first appeared on the scene. Many artists are not appreciated in their own lifetime so don't worry about this one guy who "doesn't get it." But in response to his questions about why do escapes, I would probably say something like...."I just wanted to present a different aspect of the magical arts, as it seemed that the card, coin, and sponge effects were pretty well covered." I would then most likely politely excuse myself. As a rule, I generally don't like to waste too much time on negative people. But that's just me. Best regards to all, and here's wishing for a happy and healthy New Year! Tony Parisi
Bretigan
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee
102 Posts

Profile of Bretigan
Hi,

Why not? That is the answer to a why question. Smile Don't let anyone discourage you. It is kind of like a magician, and you saying, boy, that is the oldest trick in the book... why do you like using that in your act? Obviously, that would hurt their feelings. Plus, there are just people out there that want to hurt your feelings and other people out there that are so 'tactless' that they don't know what they are doing. Keep up the good work! Smile
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I'm not overly concerned with what this one person said, I've learned that not everyone will consider it appropriate that I do escapes. I got a lot of that when I was in construction. After all, mixing concrete ain't supposed to be "women's work!" I was just curious to see how others would respond if the same question were asked.

Margarette
Steven the Amusing
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
117 Posts

Profile of Steven the Amusing
Hello Margarette:

I think I prefer a snappy answer to a question like that:

"Same as you: people pay good money for it!"

"I dunno. Hairpin envy?"

"Well... once I was married to a guy [like you]... wish I'd have known how to do this then."

"'cause my sherpa broke his leg and I won't be climbing Everest for another two months."

"'cause my origami illusion is on the fritz."

"'cause somewhere in the world there is a left-handed golden retriever named 'Bubba'. Think about it!"

"I'm working my way up to escaping
alcatraz...
rude people...
snobby balding men in bad tuxedoes with plastic thumbs"
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Steven, those are good responses! I'll keep those in mind! Although, the golden retriever named Bubba might be taken seriously here!

Margarette
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
Dear Margarette

You asked how other people react to these sort of comments...

...I was asked the same question about two years ago, only with a little less tact and thought...it put me off and I was ready to give up.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Stuart, I'm glad to see you didn't give up! I guess with me it's my stubborn Irish side, but when someone tells me I shouldn't be doing something, it makes me even more determined to show them I can. I know some people in the ring do feel that I shouldn't be doing escapes...something about it not being lady-like, but I have to do what I enjoy, and I enjoy the escapes. It's funny, my sister, who was the wild child while we were growing up has become more sedate, and once told me, "Margarette, I always knew eventually you'd go through a rebellious stage, I just didn't think you'd wait till your (we'll leave out the age she used) to do it." I told her it was because I wanted my kids to rebel against what they saw their mom doing, so now, I'll have two angel children!! Smile

Margarette
sarat
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sarat
Funny answers here. Like they say don't give a guy like that a second thought ... he was probably just jealous that a "dame" could escape from impossible restraints and all he could do was a silly card trick
artencased
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of artencased
I wonder if anyone questioned Houdini when he switched to escape magic. One thing none of us can escape from is the jelous self centered negativity and pettiness of the insecure. (For the most part, magicians I have met have been really nice and supportive.)

Keep escaping all!

Fred Escape
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Hi, who cares what boreing old card workers who have proberly never done a paid show for real people in their life, who`s only claim to fame is that they think they have the right to castigate others,,,,Never fret, magicians love to hate, its something to do with green eyes !! If anyone has anything to say about what or how I do, then if its constructive I listen and act on their comments, if its negative just for the sake of it I whisper in their ear *******off . A female escapist ! Great ! Glad there are not too many of you around, I could be hunting for work,, you have everything going for you with the right promotion the skies the limit. Smile
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Why? Because you can! Smile
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Okay, I have to chime in here, but I must first issue the caveat that escapes are not really my forte. I am a bizarrist that has found that some cross over from your area to mine was very valuable. So now I follow some of the threads in here and have learned a lot.

That said, before you dismiss his comment as simply rude and boorish behavior (which it was) why not give it some thought and see what you can learn from it.

As a bizarrist, that is the first question I ask about any effect that I perform -- why am I doing this? I then create a solid rationale or story to go with the effects that I am performing. Hopefully, what I present ceases to be a puzzle or a stunt and becomes a truly magical moment for my guests.

I left magic for many years because I could not find the answer to the question "why am I doing this?" Now, having found the answer I am a far better performer. In your case, I would think that the question would apply far more to someone who says "pick a card, any card" than it would to you. Still, there may be something you can take away from this. Think about it...

Respectfully,

Dave
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
Look at Harry Houdini, the most famous magician of all time was an "escape artist".
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
It has been my experience that there is a clique of card-carrying SAM/IBM 'club' magicians whose magical universe is entirely composed of doing hours of 'clever' sleights with a crisp new deck of cards and a handful of shiny half dollars on a nice clean close-up pad (often while casually dropping the name of each sleight).

Anything else in the mystery realm they JUST DON'T GET.

You ran into one of those.

Mind you, there's nothing wrong with close-up or sleight of hand, but when you disregard everything else you become like the person who eats nothing but artichokes every day, oblivious to other culinary choices, and chides others for not doing the same.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Well, this is a complex question that needs to be addressed from a few viewpoints.

First, the magicians

They have been and always will be jealous of the mentalist and escape artist. You see, in the minds of the laymen, magicians do "tricks", ESP and escapes are "real". When they see someone get more from palm reading than a back palm, or more from a strait jacket than a major illusion they have a problem.

Moreover, like the cub scouts we love so much, they think that anyone can do what we do.

So you have to ignore them. A magic meeting is not the place to showcase escape skills, they want to see a sideways palm shift while standing on one leg and using a kazoo.

Perhaps more later.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Why...and...what's the point? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL