The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Creating a Comedy Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I'm working on my standup comedy show and I've noticed that I'm having trouble getting the magic to be funny. I (and others) consider myself a very funny person and I have a knack for comedy but I'm having trouble in the development of routines.

Do you have any tips on creating a magical routine that lends itself to comedy?

Thanks,
Andy
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Andini,

pay attention to yourself during the day. Sometimes you say funny things which might work. there are a couple different kinds of comedy. One is the physical comedy, if you are doing the linking barbed wire rings, this is what I mean. the other type is your patter. There are many books which may provide you with one liners. While this may work for some, the audience likes original lines, not canned jokes IMO. Work on your routine, and many times, at least for me, in practice, lines just come to me. Try it out. PM me if you need any more help. Good luck!

Pete
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
What are your 3 best effects that you can do blindfolded as a stand-up routine forget about funny just see if you have 3 that you can do inside and out!!! Then see if you can routine them so that they can be an act. Durring this proccess as you are performing infront of a mirror have a pad of paper and see what things you can say that might make 1st effect funny or string effect 1st effect with # 2 effect that can be funny. Be yourself what do you find funny and see if you cannot incorperate any of that into these 3 effect. If you are funny when you bounce off of an audience member then bring an audience member up on stage with you. But most of all have a friend who knows you well and see if you can't brain storm Ideas. as to what you can do or say with in the realm of these effects. Remember sometimes the best comedy bits are sometimes in between effects so really brain storm!!
Hope this helps,
Cheers Chris
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Good advice so far - definitely find tricks that you can perform well already, so you can focus on presentation. What Chris said is so true - sometimes the best comedy opportunities are BETWEEN effects and serve as great transitions. As a gag, I have a sponge rock that I keep in my shoe, and as I'm moving from one trick to another, I'll say "hold on a second, I think I have a rock in my shoe." Then I take off my shoe and carefully pull out this huge rock - it always gets a big laugh, and it's just a gag. Then I build on that laugh and the idea of shoes/feet and tell a comedy bit about my toddler son taking his first steps and all the damage he did to our house when he learned to walk. It serves as a logical yet funny transition between tricks that keeps the audience entertained. Look for gags, oneliners, or stories that seem to fit together and use them to add to your show! Keep thinking and you'll come up with your own ideas! Good luck!
Jerry the Great
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Jerry the Great
I too am working on a comedy/magic act. I recently started reading a book called Comedy Writing Secrets by Melvin Helitzer. This has really helped me by showing me some of the disciplines that professional comedy writers rely on to consistanly come up with new material.

The approach that is working for me is to work on one trick at a time. I write down the effect and then brainstorm on key words, cliches, and play-on-words. Then I try to find areas of the effect that can be exaggerated or understated for humor.

The key thing to remember is that humor is created when you build tension in the audience and then suprise them. For example, if it looks as though your going to do a simple trick and you fail, the audience starts to get nervous for you. As the tension builds, you suprise them by not only succeeding, but by doing it in a way that they never thought of.

I hope this info. helps. From one comedy magi to another, keep em laughing! Smile
"What's wrong with you people? Haven't you ever seen a fool before?"

Jerry the Great
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
I do a comedy magic act and I use alot of people from the crowd. Some of the things they say are funny because they are nervous in front of a crowd and that adds a lot of comedy. Smile
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Creating a Comedy Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL