The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Cut and Restored Ribbon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22179 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Many years ago, Tannen's Catalog carried a Stage Cut & Restored Ribbon. It was called "Count (something) Ribbon Trick". After seeing Jason Byrne on television perform this effect. I connected the photo in the catalog with the handling Jason used.

Shortly after I witnessed a female performer doing the same trick again at Abbott's Get-together.

I was wondering if anyone knew the correct name for the effect and if it is still available?

Effect: A length of 3" ribbon is stepped on each end and the center is shown with a wand. The center is cut. After displaying the separate ends the Ribbon is Restored.

Bill
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5296 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Bill, I not familiar with Tannen’s version of the trick. And don’t know what its being called under its present incarnation. Sorry!

I do know a number of methods for performing it.

One is a Slydini method using a pair of scissors rather than a wand. The scissors do the dirty work. It is actually Slydini’s cut and restored rope. It is performed pretty much as you describe (stepping on the ends of the rope etc.). One could use ribbon instead of rope.

There are several to be found in Tarbell. One is in volume 4 page 317 (The Cut and restored ribbon) and another is in volume 5 page 277 Ching Ling Foo’s Royal Tape Mystery – which uses a fan or a wand.

I think that there are even a few more examples in Tarbell’s but that gets you started.

Sorry that I am not much help on this one!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22179 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Harry, I guess it was a sleeper in the catalog. The discription was very thin, but the photo showed the trick. It was probably the only trick I never purchased in that catalog.

Bill

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5296 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I know what you mean Bill! There are dozens of tricks that I used to look at in catalogues and would think, “this would be great, but not yet!” and pass on them. Now that they are not made anymore I wish I hadn’t taken a pass!

Not to mention the dozens of tricks that looked great in the catalogue that I did buy and should have taken a pass on!

Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22179 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Amen!
I only part of the effect that has a draw back is using a Wand to cut the ribbon. I like to have the original method to work from, so I always collect all methods to see if I can improve on a trick.

Oh Well, I probably would not like it enough to perform it. And have you priced ribbon lately. The price is more expensive a magicians rope.

Bill Smile

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5296 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Oh man you are right about the price of ribbon! I do a version of the “cut, traveling knot, and restored using a ribbon” (Steinmyer). I use a length that is a tad over two inches wide and fifteen feet long. It clearly cost more than magician’s rope (about three times the price!). Smile

I use it because believe that it shows better and the trick seems more impossible than when done with rope.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Gentlemen,

Youngsters like us never complain about the high costs of living. We are professionals! However, PM me and I'll tell you the cut and restored ribbon routine I'm using with a total cost of $4.00 and no maintenance costs except for old, used, mismatched, or free insert playing cards. It may have been appropriately appropriated from Slydini, I'm not sure. (That training was in the late 60s for me! It was certainly before MTV. Supreme might have sold it at one time. Ask the nursing home nurse! I can't remember.)

Bob
(Bob the Miser)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22179 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The trick was called the 'Count Artell' Cut and Restored Ribbon. Someone is making them available for certain magicians someplace.

Magixspinx
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Magixspinx
So where can one buy the version that Jason Byrne does?
Who is selling the special scissors?

Thanks
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Magixspinx,

My "special scissors" came from the dollar store!

PM me and I tell you what I do to make them work (or not work).

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, the Count Artell was the name. Frank Scalzo was the first guy I say do it.

I think I would do it with cheap muslin or fabric ripped into strips. ( ala Jack Gwyene turban trick). I think Jim Steinmeyer's rope cut which is similar could be adapted to do this effect to eliminate the wand.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There you go Richard! You know that "cheap" would appeal to me. And I wasted good money on sale-table ribbon! Spend, spend, spend!

See you at Fort Smith in August.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
armagician
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of armagician
Has anyone ever seen the ribbon box
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
What is the ribbon box effect? Who made it?
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3369 Posts

Profile of Julie
Jim Swoger and Clint Reidel made an Egyptian motif cut and restored ribbon "box".
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1607 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Years ago Tannens sold a great cut and restored ribbon by Al Baker. I still think it was the best method I have ever seen.
I've just made remade one and fooling everyone with it.
Richard. "Tricky Ricky"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Resor made a good one that is now made by Viking.

But I still is using a box that makes it seem a little fishy to me.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
I have used the Al Baker Ribbon Trick, as sold by Richard Robinson, to great effect in my Victorian act. I highly recommend it. I believe the method can be found in the new Al Baker compilation book from Todd Karr.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Cut and Restored Ribbon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL