The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Oscar trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I posted this in the Tricks and Reviews forum but I thought you card guys might be able to help me out with this as well.

The effect I'm talking about is when the magician makes a prediction and asks the spectator to name any playing card. When the spectator names say the Nine of Hearts, the magician explains that he meant to name a playing card. ex: John, Oscar, Judy, Mary.

The magician asks someone to read the prediction. It says for example, "The card you will select is named Oscar." The cards are dealt on the table and the only card with Oscar written across the back is the Nine of Hearts, the card the spectator named in the beginning.

I've seen the effect performed a couple of times and I have a Michael Close's version of the trick explained on his tape, but it's not that practical.

I am just interested in hearing about the different versions of the effect, where to find them, and what the downsides to the particular effect are. Thanks in advance.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
There is another version called Phil different principle though.

Scott Smile
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1835 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Max Maven told in his lecture that The Phil trick was actually invention of his and he fooled room of 50+ magicians with it. It is a great trick that is basically self working and much better than Mike Closes version because it only uses on deck.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1552 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Oscar is a trick invented by Nick Trost or at least he put it out in the mid 70's.
I also have one titled Fred which I like better than Oscar.Both are the same effect, you tell spectator the card they are thinking of is called Fred, you than proceed to show their card having "Fred" written acrossed it and the others blank.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
There's another version titled "Grandpa's Deck",by Danny Archer. Same type of effect as the others, but a slightly different method.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana
Smile
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1552 Posts

Profile of Rennie
John,
I forgot about Grandpa's Deck, that is a really good one.As I recall the spectator names his favorite name and that is the name on the back of the selected card.
Guess I will have to dig it out tonight.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24292 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The history of this trick is fairly convoluted. It was invented by Fred Lowe, (a Card Named Fred) and improved by Ali Bongo, long before Nick Trost came out with Oscar. The method that the original used was different from the method for Oscar.

Another version appeared in Magic Dungeon Mentalism, called "A Card Named Bill," again, with a different method.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4399 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2004-01-13 17:08, Bill Palmer wrote:
The history of this trick is fairly convoluted. It was invented by Fred Lowe, (a Card Named Fred) and improved by Ali Bongo, long before Nick Trost came out with Oscar. The method that the original used was different from the method for Oscar.

Another version appeared in Magic Dungeon Mentalism, called "A Card Named Bill," again, with a different method.

And to add to Bill's comments, it was Dave Campbell who came up with the first non R & S version and callede it "Fred" in tribute to the inventor Fred Lowe. Many versions have used the name Fred. Grandpa's Deck was actually based on an earlier Stephen Tucker effect, Appelation. The effect is decades old.

One of the most baffling versions is Peter Duffie's "Krueger's Revenge" which appeared in one of his booklets, possibly "Hidden Agenda".

Paul.
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
Where can I find "Phil"? Is it in a book or manuscript? Or is it a marketed effect?
-Chris
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Quote:
On 2004-01-14 08:50, quickerthantheeye wrote:
Where can I find "Phil"? Is it in a book or manuscript? Or is it a marketed effect?

Try Murphy's magic or Ronjo. Goes for about $15 plus shipping.
smacks183
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of smacks183
Just wondering if you guys preferred the "phil" method or "grandpa's deck"...(assuming that they are, in fact, different....thanks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Oscar trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL