The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » What is the absolute CLEANEST Coins Across? (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Ok folks. I know this has been addressed before, but there have been some coin gaff innovations in the last few years. I'm looking for your opinion here. What is the absolute CLEANEST, most magical looking Coins Across routine available. Using a shell or TUC, flipper or other gimmick is fine. Using a table is also ok. I just want to know what you think is the best way to do this classic effect. I want to leave the audience clueless, and amazed. Looking for a real reputation maker. I plan to use this as an Opener.

Thanks in advance.

Sdmagic
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Since this is an opinionated answer... I'd say any routine that involves using a bar of SOAP as a kicker ending would be the "cleanest"

;)
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Thanks Craig! But I'm hoping for some ideas for the most magical way to accomplish the effect. I think I'll skip the soap for now...
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Out of the most requested 'tricks with coins' I do for people who have seen me before they always ask about the coin that jump into their hand. They only remember that ONE last coin jumping INTO their hand... not BACK into their hand... they remember it as a coin jumping INTO their hand.

David Roth's *coughcough* coins across routine. (Pg 62 of his book).

They love it the most because I don't do any other version?

Who knows.

Next time I do it for a magacian though I think I'll have to end it with a bar of SOAP carved into a stack of coins. Smile
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7061 Posts

Profile of bowers
I think using the Tuc for coin's across
is the cleanest Ive seen yet.Using Roth's method.
Todd Smile
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
CoinOne by Homer Liwag
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3397 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
With the right presentation they will all look like miracles...whether you use gaffs/gimmicks or not.

JMHO
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Bobby Puga
View Profile
Loyal user
El Centro, CA
201 Posts

Profile of Bobby Puga
David Roth's coins across for me...
Customized greatly...
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8573 Posts

Profile of funsway
I developed "Shackled" to be the "cleanest" across possible in that the hands never touch at all during the routine - no back and forth stuff - and the hands shown open and empty at every stage (uses TUC and Sway Methods)

however - this "advantage" only makes a difference for those observers experienced with "coins across" type routines. A casual lay spectator may be no more astounded than with a less technically perfect method. The effect is not "clean" as the objective was to create a perfect effect rather than meet the needs of the audience. No effect prompted by the performer's ego is ever "absolutely clean."

"Clean" is relative. Who is the audience? What is the setting? What story do you wish them to tell after? What effect will you do next?

The "right presentation" as noted by Stanyon involves "clean thinking" as part of your routining work. Methinks that each accomplished performer should have several "Coins across" effects mastered and select the one best suited to the performance situation. One of these should involve spectator hands should the opportunity be ideal.

I doubt that "clean" ever enters the mind of a lay spectator. Good question, though! May bet some performers thinking along new lines.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi sdmagic

I go with Craig Ousterling and Bobby Puga. David Roth's coins across is excellent and as Craig says the last coin jumping into their hand is a killer.

All the best

Michael.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2020 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On May 11, 2014, bowers wrote:
Todd Smile

How would you use Roth's method with a TUC - especially for the last phase where you remove one coin from the spectator's hand and it reappears?
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Great comments everyone. Thanks! By the word "Clean" I mean: No fast or confusing moves. Just straight forward (apparent) movement of the coins, one-by-one from one hand to the other, and ultimately the final coin into the spectator's hand. Also, I'm trying to avoid lapping any coins so the routine can be performed standing.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion!

sdmagic
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27073 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I was going to suggest other items until you redefined clean in your question to mean doing Roth's shelled routine. Still need to work on that last vanish but it reads as if you're almost committed to the routine.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

SD... also check out Dan Watkins "4 Coins, Your Hands". He's printed it in COINVANISH vol2 you can also see and learn it it on Dan's DVD. I suggest the book as it will prevent the osmosis of doing the trick exactly like and acting like the guy on the TV Smile
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Jonathan I'd like to hear your suggestions. I'm not committed to anything yet. Still searching. Thanks!
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4831 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
The Cleanest Coins Across!!! Yea I have been looking for that for the last 35-40 Years! I will have 40 -45 Handlings Coming out In my 2 Th.Hardbound book! BUT---- I am steal LOOKING!!! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Sounds good Dave. When will it be available?
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7061 Posts

Profile of bowers
Quote:
On May 12, 2014, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On May 11, 2014, bowers wrote:
Todd Smile

How would you use Roth's method with a TUC - especially for the last phase where you remove one coin from the spectator's hand and it reappears?

The last coin is removed with the spider vanish from hand.
And made to appear in the spec's hand with the other three.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27073 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
As an aside: check out the first trick using the gaff(s) in Hoffmann's More Magic. In place of the brass fixtures you can use cardboard props, cups or even volunteers hands. Smile Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4831 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Quote:
On May 12, 2014, sdmagic wrote:
Sounds good Dave. When will it be available?

Mark said 12-15 months for each Book so I would say around around 14 or so months !
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » What is the absolute CLEANEST Coins Across? (32 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL