The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » What is the absolute CLEANEST Coins Across? (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
I use super triple coin
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3739 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Volume one of the NYCMS dvd series has over 25 coins across routines from Roth, Gallo, myself, Latta, and Harbottle. The routine from Roth mentioned here is included as is my impossible coins across version two, which is the cleanest version I do but also very difficult. My favorite is Tallahassee Jumping Coins which uses only three coins with the last one going into the hand of the spectator (like the others mentioned). That is on a later volume in the series and in my Penguin lecture. Btw, volume one teaches 5 different ways to get a coin into the spectator's hand! A real value if you can still find the volume. There are just so many coins across routines out there by so many gifted performers, it is just going to come down to what fits your own style.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4831 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea You have to ask yourself Who are you going to be doing for? where are you going to be doing it? Are you going to be 1. Setting down, 2. Standing up at a table, Or 3.standing up without a table? And are you going To be doing it on the table or into someones Hands? 3-4 or5 coins? Palm-up or P.D.Q. Recounting, one touch,or no touch? Gaffed or not? 3 fly or coins to glass? There is a lot to think about? Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1853 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I have both Come Fly with me and Shell Shocked by Mark Mason...they are both pretty good, but my currently favorite is Shell Shocked, an open hand coins across, and it's pretty clean for sure.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8603 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I think Doc is about right here…there are just tons of Coins Across routines out there, and David mentions a few genres of them. Every good coin man has one or two, typically including his own version of the classic effect. Smile

I guess the reason that there are so many is that the effect lends itself so easily to personal creativity. It's a great learning effect that teaches a variety of moves with the coins and typically just as many different patters and deliveries. Smile I've seen a bunch of them from the big, small and all and really one of the very best IMHO is still David Roth's, "She**ed Coins Across." It's just nicely done, not hard to do and seems quite impossible. It's really worth learning. Smile

If you don't want to use a gaff, and I typically don't, then there are countless ways to go. I have one with 3 coins called "Krazy Koins Across" in my Short Pockets download, and a new one I'm doing nowadays with 4 coins called "Kemosabe." Smile It has a nice series of moves to every crossing, with some fun sprinkled within & without, and even the last coin going across and visibly appearing at the fingertips…very magical! Smile And because of the creative nature given to the Coins Across genre, I just know that there's nothing else out there quite like it. Smile

Anyway, after checking out all that's out there SD, you'll hopefully come up with your own from a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Smile I've always thought that there's a few things you should always have at the ready in life; a good pocket knife, be willing to help anyone in distress if you can, and carry around a few coins for a good Coins Across, to bring out a pretty girl's smile. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1644 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
I'm a longtime devotee of David Roth's Shell Coins Across, but also love John Carney's "Coins, Here to There," which is on the Fall DVD in his Master Sessions set.

John Carney's routine uses three instead of four coins, has very clean moves, and ends with your hands empty. The three coins travel one at a time to the spectator's hand.

The move for the second coin is utterly convincing and puts you ahead invisibly, but in plain sight. Amazing routining.

Cheers,
Jerry
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
579 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
This was posted back in 2003!!!!

Quote:
On Jan 6, 2003, Dave Shepherd wrote:
Take a look at the January 2003 Linking Ring. Steve Naylor (I believe that's his name) has a very straightforward and simple coins-across that uses only 3 coins and no gaffs. With the right casual attitude this might be very effective.

(It's in the British Ring Parade section.)

It's always served me well working table hopping professionally. Only 3 genuine coins, no gimmicks, all different (eg 1 dollar, 1 English penny, 1 Chinese, you decide, can be borrowed), go across 1 by 1 by name (eg "if I want the English penny to go across"), no shuttles, and the last one goes into their hand audibly and always gets a gasp. Can be stood up, surrounded, in shot sleeves if necessary. Needs practice but that's not a bad thing.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1644 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Another one using just three coins and no gaffs is R. Paul Wilson's "Across the Void" -- an impromptu method you can use with quarters, or more formally with coins up to silver dollars.

The last two coins travel in sequence without any intervening handling on your part at all. All the coins go to the spectator's hand.
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Thanks for all the GREAT suggestions so far! I have a number of routines to test, and experiment with. Keep the info coming! I hope that many magicians can benefit from the discussion.

sdmagic
Jonathan Gold
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
38 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Gold
David Roth's routine is great! the method can also be adapted to coins through table or into a glass, or whatever your imagination can produce. It's clean, not too hard and super magical.
manreb
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of manreb
I think that Ponta the Smith's version of winged silver from the sick DVD is as clean as it gets. Some may remember that when it was first out on YouTube there were many at the Café that thought it was trick photography. it is not as simple as Roth's shell coins across or any of the others mentioned above but as as far as impact, it still amazes me.
Joni River
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Joni River
Luis Piedrahitas signed coins travel is the best for me, it kills the audienece!
JFmagic
View Profile
New user
Ithaca, NY
75 Posts

Profile of JFmagic
John Born had a great coins across routine. Also, Shawn Farquhar has a great matrix you should check it out.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4831 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
If we are Talking Matrix Or Coin assembly's I just happen to have a FEW ! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27073 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The cleanest coins across is probably the stack of pence approach. That puts all the effort into the appearance side of the handling ... though you do kinda lose the intermediary displays in the other hand.

I suppose if your gaff was a four nest you could do a few intermediary displays. The full gaff, in principle, offers the most convincing display of the "before" condition. It also permits the production of an item where the coins were.

Hand to hand, through the hand, our of the box... it's how you present the trick.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » What is the absolute CLEANEST Coins Across? (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL