The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Abbott's Ten - Abbott Magic Company (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Any opinions about this effect?

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Ten-ABBten.htm
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
Buy it in the Anthology (better value). Worth giving it a go, especially in impromptu situations, but I would add a charlier shuffle.
djjkarate
View Profile
New user
Always Sunny in Seattle
56 Posts

Profile of djjkarate
WOW...Abbott's wants 2 dollars for the trick and 6 dollars to ship it !!!! aaaahhh !!!!!

Where is "Anthology" ????
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
It's an old classic and has been described in many books.
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
Take a look at Card Anthology - it costs $4 and is downloadable.
GALIER
View Profile
New user
Spain
37 Posts

Profile of GALIER
About this effect, you can watch the episode 207 of Mesmer in pillole here:

http://www.mesmer.it/index.php?id=pillole&n=207
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1410 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hello Mats,

I first saw this in Gordon Miller (editor), The Anthology of Card Magic, (no place: The Abbott Magic Company, 1989), pp. 244, 245. This is a large, comb-bound book which I purchased from Abbotts some twenty years ago. It contains many items from many well-known performers and inventors. As routines go, most everything in this book is weak, but as methods go, there's a wealth of good ideas. And so the book really is a great addition to the library of anyone keen on inventing new and more modern effects.

One trouble with this specific effect, "Abbott's Ten," is the lack of motivation or rationale. The method is decent enough I suppose and fairly well disguised, but it's not clear to me why any participant would care about what the performer is doing. So, were I going to perform this, the first thing I'd do is figure out how to make the power to be demonstrated clear and interesting to the audience. Presumably the power is either clairvoyance or telepathy. I have to be honest, though. I think there are more riveting ways to demonstrate those powers. So, to me, this is more of something an uncle would show a favorite nephew or niece.

Having said that, be sure to see Karl Fulves' "Digit Discovery," Self-Working Mental Magic, (New York: Dover Publications, Inc., 1979), pp. 18, 19. This employs much the same method, and has essentially the same effect on the audience as far as the power demonstrated. However, what makes it noticeably better is that the participant's card movements are more natural in that she moves cards from the top to the bottom (easier for clumsy participants to handle), and that the final phase is completely different in appearance and hence more surprising. So Fulves seems to have improved upon Abbott's methodology as best he could in a beginner's book.

But as you were asking for opinions, here's mine. Neither the original nor the improved version will find their way into what I perform. There are just too many other more startling, yet easy-to-do, ways of demonstrating psychic powers with cards. I do recommend the Anthology however as a valuable addition to one's library.

Hope that helps a little,

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Curious who I am? See my quick video bio.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
582 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Thank you for that info Thomas. Above and beyond! Great to know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Abbott's Ten - Abbott Magic Company (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL