The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Kavori's Codology Acrobatic Fish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1314 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On May 13, 2014, 0pus wrote:
I don't think there is blue striping on the bar. There is a light reflection on the dark bar.

Sorry, I meant that my version has the blue striping. Everything else looks exactly like the Stevens version sold.
greggtheballoonguy
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
39 Posts

Profile of greggtheballoonguy
Your version is the new Kavori version. The fish are exactly the same as on the original that I bought 15 years ago. As for the question on the noise made by the Chinese one. I don't think there would be any difference in that regard. The original does make some noise, but it is no issue at all. I am always making noise at that point anyway, so it would be masked. So, anyone else out there try the Red Chinese one?
Gregg Ka-Zam! aka Gregg the Balloon Guy
AllanK
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
180 Posts

Profile of AllanK
Just for the record, I have a Kovari model that is around 30 years old that was supplied by Supreme Magic. The rod is rectangular and is made entirely of wood. The fish are shimmering gold with red detailing - beautiful! I only used it once for a TV spot that I helped produce.
greggtheballoonguy
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
39 Posts

Hey, are you interested in selling it?
AllanK
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
180 Posts

Profile of AllanK
Sorry, Greg, but it's not for sale.

Allan
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I do like the look of the red fish, but I trust the quality of Viking, and I always try to avoid purchasing knock off items. The viking version has been on my buy list for a while, awaiting an idea for a routine (I didn't even know there was another version prior to this thread). I finally developed the routine idea, but the item is out of stock. I try to wait to purchase items until I have a plan on how to use it, too many past magic purchases that I don't use - I'm sure no one else has that problem. I don't know which is worse, having something I don't use, or not being able to get something I have a good idea for using.
greggtheballoonguy
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
39 Posts

Not being able to get something is worse. There's a nice feeling knowing you have more on hand than you can use. Sort of like money in the bank--ha. On quality on the Viking one, Stempleton above said his broke just while rehearsing. I too like to buy original quality, but sometimes when rights get sold, the new producer cuts corners. --not always, sometimes they make it better--but the default is often profit driven I fear. If a 3rd maker in China shows up with a better product than the new "original" then people will buy, and hopefully the competition will make for a better product. I don't know that the China one is decent, but one of the posts says his looks well made.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
According to the stevens magic website Viking only has US manufacturing rights, so Kovari is still making his original version. I noticed that Kovari lists his orininal Codology on his website, and it is listed as in stock. Converting to US dollars the price is currently $75. Add shipping. I bought Kovari's Pom Pom pole directly from him and found it to be great quality. Unfortunately there is no actual picture of the Codology item. But it seems like a good option, but would cost a few dollars more. Can anyone provide more info on Kovari's version, and how it compares to the Viking. Gregg, I assume this is the one you have been using for the past 15 years.

http://www.kovarimagic.com/Catalogue/Wor......_14.html
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Is this the Kovari version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jph1ZGxHC4
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
wwhokie1: That does not look like Kovari's. Why don't you go onto Kovari's website and contact him directly?
To contact George please click on his photograph to email, or call him on
+44(0)1525 270536
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Codology originally hit the market in (I think) 1974. In the first models, the bar was made of metal and decorated like wood. In later Kovari models, the bar was made from wood and later green plastic.
As far as I know, the only other people to have permission to manufacture it are Viking.
The version wwhokie1 links to does not look like any version I have seen.

Here's a link to a Kovari model (bar made from wood)
http://www.puppetsandmagic.co.uk/Cod%20-ology
greggtheballoonguy
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
39 Posts

I just yesterday bought that version (used of course). I thought I had the oldest type original, but mine is the green one that uses both plastic & wood. The flap-down part is wood and the rest plastic--but great quality. I am looking forward to receiving an even older version than the one I have -- I hope hope less used than mine. It would be hard to be more used than mine--ha. I would be interested to see where the blue version came from -- the one Dynamite is selling. They are selling it as "Codology" so I think it would be pretty audacious if it wasn't from Kovari.
kcbeave
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of kcbeave
I am looking to get a Kovari codolgy. Which version do you think is best, the one sold by Stevens magic emporium or the current one sold on Kovari's website which he only has a drawing of it not a picture. I understand the one from Stevens is authorized by Kovari but it is made different from Kovari's
greggtheballoonguy
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
39 Posts

Couldn't find it on Steven's. what is it called there?
kcbeave
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of kcbeave
On stevens it's called acrobatic fish, the link is below, thanks.

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/acrobatic-fish-viking/
greggtheballoonguy
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
39 Posts

OK, this one is harder to load, but the overall effect can be better since the fish are appearing out of a much smaller container. If you don't mind the extra minute it might take to load, then this might be a good choice. I have been thinking of getting this one myself after seeing it at a shop but since load time is important to me I haven't switched yet.

The original is a bit larger and the ropes are longer, but this one is not that much smaller and still big enough to be a stage trick.

My 2 cents.
Gregg
kcbeave
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of kcbeave
The Chinese version is a direct copy rip off of Kovari.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Kavori's Codology Acrobatic Fish (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL