The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » When can you call yourself a Magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
After how many years of practice, after how many lectures, after how many shows, making how much money?
Impossible to answer? -Yes I know.

But there has to be that incredible day were you go from being the "guy who does tricks" to "the magician who does routines"?

What's your opinion?
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
You kind of answered your own question. Most Magician's don't do lectures and most Magician's don't do "shows" except for Family and Friends and some only do Magic for themselves. Money as far as I am concerned isn't even part of the equation. I have seen very bad Magician's make good money and good Magician's make little or no money at all.
My attitude is when a person can entertain rather than just fool an audience and can do more than one "trick" and has enough interest to learn at least a little about the history of Magic (that is, has a real interest in the subject not just wanting to fool people) then that person is a Magician.
Other than that, anyone can call themselves a Magician but others may disagree.
There is no "Black and White" answer to your excellent question, as it is very subjective.
I am interested in what others have to say on this subject.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Off the cuff, I'll say that you are a magician when you can perform for other people without embarrassing yourself or the audience Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
It's not up to you.
You are a magician when YOUR AUDIENCE decides you are a magician.
You can call yourself anything you want to, but it doesn't mean a thing until someone else agrees.
And it has nothing to do with a certain amount of practice, a certain number of lectures, or a certain bunch of money. It's an "outside yourself" thing.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
When I was 15, I bought my first guitar. I had no idea how to play it. I got a chord and scale book and learned about three songs. So from that moment on, in my young mind, I was now a "guitarist". I thought that sounded so cool!

Then my mouth got me in trouble. A group of guys asked me to come over one Saturday and jam with them. You know, me being a "guitarist" and all. By the time that Saturday was over, and seeing what those other cats could do, I was no longer a "guitarist", but simply a kid who had a guitar. It was a humbling lesson.

For the next ten years I played guitar and got better. But I was always still aware of that lesson, and always kept in mind that no matter how much I knew about playing I still had a long way to go.

Then, when I was 25, I was asked by a local (and rather popular) blues band to join their band after jamming with eachother at an open mic session in a club. I asked them why they wanted me to join, and they said, "Because, we need a good guitarist."

So I had crossed over, somwhere along the line. And it wasn't until someone else defined me as such, did I feel I had accomplished this goal.

So in magic, as in music, art, writing, we should just sit back and enjoy the ride. Practice, study and create. And in time, they will let us know how far we have come.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Mr. Marucci and Firedice said it all. What they said hits the nail on the head. Smile
Nothing more needs to be said on this subject. Well done guys.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
Firedice,

Excellent answer. There is no real instance where someone all of a sudden is a "Magician".

It usually happens over a period of time when you're not even aware of it.

For example, a friend of mine recently visited with a couple of people I had never met before. They convinced me to do "some magic" for them. Since I was unprepared, I did a small sample of "easy" effects - the most difficult of which was Doc Eason's "Anniversary Waltz". (Most of you know, that is NOT a knuckle-buster).

These people that I had never met commented that they had never seen REAL magic before! They thought I would just do some novelty items. I could tell they enjoyed the experience.

So I guess that would mean that, at least for one afternoon, I was a magician!!!!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I thought I said the same thing more succinctly ... oh well :-( lol
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
Firedice that was an inspiring story Smile
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Glad my story helped!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
On 2004-01-13 14:10, Peter Marucci wrote:
It's not up to you.
You are a magician when YOUR AUDIENCE decides you are a magician.
You can call yourself anything you want to, but it doesn't mean a thing until someone else agrees.
And it has nothing to do with a certain amount of practice, a certain number of lectures, or a certain bunch of money. It's an "outside yourself" thing.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com

Exactly. Couldn't agree more.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Great answers all! Smile
Agree that there are not "how much money you make" that's make you a magician.

But the ability to entertain and suprise your audience for a memorable experience, no matter how big your croud is.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
m.s.magic
View Profile
Regular user
England-newcastle-
105 Posts

Profile of m.s.magic
No single trick make a magician
your popularity grows as your skills do
keep it up
best regards tom Smile
What is real and what is an illusion ? it all depends on your perception, reality is only limited by the boundries of the imagination, and imagination can defy the laws of everything - Criss Angel
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
When can you call yourself a Magician? When you pick up the phone.

Sorry about that... Smile
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Neal Roter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Neal Roter
When people are saying to you:"I never believed in magicians before..."
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
As for getting other people to recognize you as a magician, I've found that it's doomed to failure if you try to force it. But if you do one great trick every once in a blue moon and add a little bit of a sparkling personality, gradually people will start to call you a magician. Sounds too simple, but tis true, tis true . . .
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Actually I belive something change inside your head when you receive your very first applause - You are on the path of becomming.....

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Just as long as they don’t applaud after saying, “I will now perform my last effect”.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
I had an experience a few days ago after which I felt myself to truly be a magician. I was at work practicing some new moves with a deck of cards and dropped one of the cards on the other side of the counter. A customer came in at that moment and picked up the card for me. Joking around I asked "Was that your card? Oh wait, you haven't chosen it yet." I shuffled it back into the deck and had him pick a card which turned out to be the one he had picked up off the floor. Intrigued he continued watching and I performed a series of manipulations/tricks. Soon the shop was crowded with about 20 people whom I held spellbound (only now do I truely understand that word) for a good quarter-hour. Something inside me clicked and I had a sense of going on a journey and taking all these people with me. I was the leader and they would happily follow me into another dimension if I asked them to because the trip was so much fun. That's not a great description of the feeling, but I can't express it better. I could have held them there for an hour if I had so chosen.

I've had that feeling in other forms of performance art, particularly singing, but it was the first time I had experienced it in magic. The nerves were gone, the self-doubt was gone, and for a 15 minute period I was royalty. I had the sense that I couldn't miss, that if I had tried at that moment to do the most difficult trick I've learned I would have pulled it off without a hitch.

Don't get me wrong, I've performed many times when that sense of rightness never came and the performance went fine anyway, it's not a necessary element to doing well. I read once that athletes occasionally have days when they just feel like they can't lose, and when that happens, they don't lose. It was something like that.

I guess my point is that for the first time the magic seemed to be an integral part of who I was and was completely comfortable and natural to perform. I now feel ready to dub myself a magician.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » When can you call yourself a Magician? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL