The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Lassen Morgan Dollar Flipper coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Hello all,

I have a Morgan dollar lassen flipper coin, however after changing the band on it, I can't get it to stick back in on the smaller portion. What is the best glue to use to set it back in place?

Thanks

Chris
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2020 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
No glue. Use Scotch permanent double stick tape or thin double sided carpet tape.

There are lots of past discussions on this topic.

See: http://tinyurl.com/py8ksqm or use the Café search function to search on: flipper repair
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Never glue - you could bend the shell trying to get the insert out. I did that with an old Double Deception - the instructions said to use a craft knife, but (after slightly bending the shell) I had to boil it in water to get the insert loose enough to pry out.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Thanks guys
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Super glue, when you need to replace the band, use acetone to dissolve the super glue.
It will not hurt or mark your silver or clad coins.
It's the standard in jewelry repair.
I do this 4-5 times a week in my lapidary/jewelry shop.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1585 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On May 17, 2014, Tree wrote:
Super glue, when you need to replace the band, use acetone to dissolve the super glue.
It will not hurt or mark your silver or clad coins.
It's the standard in jewelry repair.
I do this 4-5 times a week in my lapidary/jewelry shop.

I have done what you suggest with a gaff that was super-glued by the previous owner and it does work as you indicate. No damage to the silver either from the acetone or superglue. You do need to let the acetone soak in the shell for a while in order for it to loosen up.

Skill sets vary, however, and I can see why some are reluctant to use craft knives or other sharp implements around soft silver gaffs. I once recommended an easy fix for a TUC to install the correct (round) magnet that was apparently not as easy for the person I was advising as I thought it was. The results were not pretty.

Alan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Lassen Morgan Dollar Flipper coin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL