The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What is a good close up mat? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Greg_Magic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Greg_Magic
What close up mat would you recommend? What should I look for in a good close-up mat? Is there a good one that is also not to expensive?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5138 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I love my Dean Dill matt. It may be too big for some performers, but it's incredibly well made and has just the right amount of give, and a perfect surface texture for cards and cups. Not inexpensive, but I feel Dean's products are always worth the price.

http://www.deandill.com/pads.html
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Greg_Magic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Greg_Magic
I might have to work up to that one Oz. Dean's is a little out of my budget right now. Thanks for the advice though! Smile
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweet Home Alabama
398 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Greg~

I've got two of Pattrick's mats... Great mats at a reasonable price and a good guy to work with......

http://www.pattricksmagic.com/

allen
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Pattrick's pads are the best. I also have the aluminum backed pad from Dan and Dave and I love it.
Greg_Magic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Greg_Magic
Would you recommend a certain color? Or is it really just personal preference?
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Color often depends on what you will be doing with your mat. You want the color of the mat to contrast (but not clash) with the props you will be using on it. For example, if you plan to do the Cups & Balls and your balls are blue (no jokes here), you do not want a blue mat. Seems obvious, but there are folks who miss this idea and make their magic unintentionally invisible to the spectator. (Personally I also do not want a mat the same color as my costume/clothing; I want the performance surface to stand alone.)
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8178 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In the days (long ago)before close up pads became a "status symbol" (hee hee!!!!!

We all went to a store that sold carpets. They always had a pile of samples, which they would GIVE us (or sell very cheap!)

Jay Marshall called them "P****h Close Up Pads"!!! They worked just fine! (The performer is more important than the pad (or props)!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of BCS
Here is an old posting I listed to make a close up stage... http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=26

Similar to what Dick posted; if you sear on google there are some pretty cool small prayer type rugs available with a short nap to them that works well as a close up mat.

Good luck,
Bruce
Greg_Magic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Greg_Magic
That's really cool Bruce! Thanks for the advice. I will definitely check out possibly making my own mat. Love the look!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of BCS
Greg... Glad to share, if you have any questions please ask.

Bruce
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I personally mounted a small kitchen rug from Walmart ($5) about 18"x30" to 1/4" plywood for my travelling table. A search on Google for "mousepad material" turned up a plain grey pad roughly 17"x13x" (about the same size as Patrick's Pro series) for $7 that could easily be covered in felt or velvet using spray adhesive. Just a thought.
Greg_Magic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Greg_Magic
Motley - Thanks for that tip! I will check that out. I didn't know that they made mousepads that big.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of BCS
Every once and a while Office Depot will have them in their stores... usually in black.

Take care,
Bruce
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Another vote for Pattricks. I have bought three custom mats and love them all!

http://www.pattricksmagic.com/
Greg_Magic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Greg_Magic
So I'm thinking on the affordable end...Patrick it is!
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
I have them all. In addition to Pattrick's pads, I have a few of Dean's and I also have jumbo size custom made Production Pad from Dean, and do love them dearly. I really prefer a little loft for purse palming, so I like them over soft backed pads.

Recently I just bought both of these pads from RNTII and I think I have a new favorite! I have another on the way. If you look at the features, you really can't ask for more...period! The surface is like a baby's bottom, and I love the raised feature and the ability to raise up the back even higher. AND FINALLY a pad that holds halfs and dollars alike! I was going to design my own honestly but Donnie beat me to it and I'm glad. The "Servante"/case is so deceptive it makes me giggle to myself. Even my wife who's pretty well "in the know" asked if that was supposed to open like that. I explained to her that it's to keep my coins and balls from hitting the floor (which isn't a lie if you think about it... lol). She bought it!

Until now, I never dreamed of using a servante in strolling (who would?)...but I'm going to be trying it at my next gig.

Tell Donnie Christian sent ya!

http://www.rnt2.com/tables/
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5138 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Man, Donnie is on a roll with RNT2. Those pads look great. Not inexpensive, but think about it this way...you are buying a stage for your magic.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
If you think they look great, wait until you see them first hand and feel the micro velvet. They are also very solid and substantial. My small one is PERFECT for practicing on your lap while watching TV etc. The ease of access on the slots is a dream and so natural looking for switching and stealing. And that fargin' Servante/Case is even very elegant looking and made to open as wide or as tight as you want simply by scooting the pad further/closer.

You made a great point Wiz, and that's exactly how I see it. 90% of my props (minus cards) cost more than these pads. Many of my single coin gaffs, and sets cost much more than even both of them combined, and I don't even need to get into cups and balls and and and...

So....you've invested in your props...why not showcase them accordingly?

To each their own, but my props and performance deserve more than a glorified mouse pad. I've always felt strongly about that.

These catch the eye of folks that of come over and don't even know what a close up pad is, so they ask and have commented on how nice it looks. Naturally, I then tell them "Let me show you what it's used for..."
Sanderr
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
189 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
I only have ever had a mat from Pattrick's, but it's a nice quality for a reasonable price. He has loads of different sizes/colors available, and you can even get stuff embroidered on there I believe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What is a good close up mat? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL