The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How to approach people at a bar or restaurant (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
176 Posts

Profile of jnork
"Hi how's everything so far? My name's Jason, I'm the house magician for (establishment) would you like to see some close up magic while you're waiting for your (main course/dessert/check)??"

Pretty simple.

Jason
Yours in Magic!
Jason
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Pepka yep the did you drop the black knife approach is a bit odd and why any one think throwing flames around will make people want you near is a mystery to me me.

Also tctahoe I like your approach and do use something simular from time to time as well.

But I have played around with the idea of letting people find out your performing magic rather than announcing your the magician or your about to do magic.

i think either way can work. But I feel there is a strength in just going up making it aware your asked to be there but don't make it clear why, get to know them then bang do something magical. This only works in certine conditions but I thougth id just put it out there.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On May 20, 2014, Yellowcustard wrote:

But I feel there is a strength in just going up making it aware your asked to be there but don't make it clear why, get to know them then bang do something magical. This only works in certine conditions but I thougth id just put it out there.

If I understand you correctly, I have used a similar idea. I would sometimes approach a table (or even a group at a private party), and tell them that the owner (manager) (or host) had seen me do something they thought was cool, so they have asked me to be here to share it with their guests.

This creates a bit of intrigue, as well as interest. But, it also softens the intrusion by laying off the initiation on a third party... and one whom the guest would surely trust. It works as if you are being introduced by someone else who is closer to them.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On May 19, 2014, Motley Mage wrote:
Pepka, what about, "Excuse me, did you drop this flaming knife I found in my wallet?"

Oh....a wise guy huh?
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
Michael's right on about scouting tables while you're having a card selected. I love that method. You do the ol' "show everybody the card. I won't look; I've seen this trick already." I take this time to smile at a few other tables and see who smiles back. You can tell the difference between a polite smile and a "come see us next" smile. With this method, all that matters is getting started with that first table Smile

If there are kids at the table, there's usually no problem, right? I've rarely ever been turned away from a table with children. I just say something like "it's Monday magic night here at ____________. Who would like to see some magic?" The kids always scream "we do!" The parents wouldn't dream of saying no. I think a table of adults might be more hesitant because some think "Trix are for kids," but the looking around while the table picks a card works well for me.
kumpletoo
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of kumpletoo
Dominic Reyes with Merchant of Magic authored an awesome e-book on the topic and it's for free.

The e-book has a wealth of information about how to approach table.

Here's the link, http://magictricks.magicshop.co.uk/magic......de-ebook.
Jade Ferrer
View Profile
New user
Philippines
61 Posts

Profile of Jade Ferrer
A great way to do it is just walk up to them and make a remark about the venue, the weather, or etc. Start a small talk and then insert, "Oh, by the way, I'm (name) and I'm a magician and I'd love to show you my magic."
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Jnork's is very similar to mine, but here's what I do:

"Hello, welcome to (name of restaurant). My name is Harley and I'm the house magician (saying magician with a bit of emphasis). As odd as it may sound, would you be interested in seeing a little something?"

Here's some thoughts.

I think it's very important to NOT open with anything flashy, or force someone to watch something. I wont do an ounce of magic until they agree to it. I've heard some very messy stories...

I used this without the "As odd as it may sound" part for a few weeks and everything was okay. I got maybe 1 person a night that would not want to see magic. Ever since I threw in the "as odd as it may sound" part, I get rejected once very 3 or 4 nights.

There's a science to avoiding rejection, I'd say. If you can make them laugh without being too cheesy, that's a great thing. If you can gauge them and they seem like quite a nut in their own sense (very humorous and cheesy) then you can say something cheesy, otherwise I think it's important to avoid being too cheesy, especially in an introduction. If I know I'm performing for a total clown (I mean this kindly!) after saying "House magician" I'll say "NOT the house Salad...... but, MAGICIAN." Different sorts of people like different forms of entertainment. Learn to judge people's character and determining rather it's good to use a cheesy line or not will come pretty easily.

People have made some very good points above. Try to figure out why somebody is out at the restaurant? A business meeting? A family dinner? A Birthday? Is everyone eating out and in an easy going, happy mood? Gauge the types of people and ask yourself if they seem like the type of people who'd enjoy some magic. Birthday dinners, and family dinners with kids are almost always a sure hit. Stay away from people who look like their on their lunch break, or having a meeting with a client, unless you hear their conversation and it seems dull, or lacking of conversation. It helps to ease drop and figure out if they seem like they could use some entertainment. Just don't be too obvious.

Good luck to all!

-Harley Salas
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I've talked about this (at length, I'm sure, lol) but even more important that what you say, or what you do, is how you physically approach and come across.

Is your head up and looking confident, or are you staring at the ground?
Are your hands by your sides, reaching forward, or in your pockets?
Do they think they know you somehow, or are you a complete stranger invading their space?
Etc.

I would devote a few months, yes, months, to walking into rooms of people and starting conversations. The most important thing about my approach to people is the tone of my voice when I say, "Whaaaasup!!!!" It takes a while to get your head around that, but when you do, you'll begin to experience what it's meant to "own" a room and to have people thankful that you do.

My 2 cents,

jamie

P.S. And thanks for the kidn words about my book, guys! Too kind!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
What I would do -

With a piece of !@#$h paper in my right hand, I approach a group of people and boldly ask, "Does anyone have a lighter I could borrow?"

Most of the time, someone would hand me one, if not, I would search my pocket quickly and get one out. Then I would ask a person to light the lighter for me.

I burn the paper and produce a money bill.

The bright flame catches everyone's attention and the sudden appearance of money in my hand oftentimes make someone exclaim, "Oh you are a magician!"

Let the show begin.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When you say "what I would do" does this mean you have done this before and it works or you are guessing? I can't imagine that happening at every table and a manager being happy about it.

But again it is all about environment.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
I find the old "has anyone lost a red penknife......no.......how about a black one?" so passé. Nowadays I walk up and ask "has anyone lost a chop cup".
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Markus
I (like many others) start the interaction in a assumptive manor. "Joe told me to show you this puzzle with this 20. You do like money don't you?"

I don't think your question is about the exact patter to useor what effect but more along the lines of the best way to not get rejected.

Think of it this way. you walk into a shoe store and the sales person says "Can I help you?' If you aren't there to specifically buy shoes you'll probably say "No. I'm just looking" - Sale over -
If you enter and the sales person says "You look like a 10 and a half. Want to see out newest cross-trainer, it's got that jell in the sole, it's right over here". - Game on -
You might not be looking for a pair of shoes but you end-up buying them on impulse.

So what kind of a telephone solicitor would you rather be/ Are you the type that says " Hello. my name is Markus Hollingsworth the third and I'm not selling anything. This call is a survey that my boss is offering as a free service. Is the owner of the business there?
Oops. I just hung up.

Lets say you're at a party making balloon animals
You say "Do you want an animal or a hat?"
Would you ever say 'Hello. Ms. Butternutter hired me to walk around and make balloon animals. I was wondering if you, as a guest, might be interested in one... because trhat's what I do"

Nike has a great motto.

People can always say no, and they do. That's why you learn to read body language. Obviously, if they are all wearinmg black armbands and crying, I'm not going within five feet of them.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have always approached this differently. Jay is 100% right and his post is very insightful.

I simply never approached it as sales. I do not want to have to sell them on the idea. This is why I work after meals and have servers ask. I am expected and invited. It changes the interaction throughout the performance.

Not everywhere can do this. I understand. In a very real way it is sales just as Jay described.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Never been a fan of just going up an into a routine.

True story;

I was working a banquet with another magician.
Boom, goes right up and starts going into the routine.
Reactions were awful.
I guess he never took the time to introduce himself and take notice of the people he was performing for...or the white canes with red tips at the ends that were under the table...
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Walk up and "hi, I'm Rolyan, I've been booked by the management to provide a couple of minutes free entertainment. You don't have to do anything just sit back and enjoy".

In 10 seconds you've introduced yourself, explained what you're doing, confirmed that you're a paid professional, that's been formally hired by the management, it won't cost the guests anything, it will only take a couple of minutes and they don't have to do anything. Their questions answered in 10 seconds.

It's worked for me for decades, after learning it from John Hotowka.

Simples.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
So much good advice here. It's almost stupid for me to repost...but I will Smile

As I mentioned earlier, I say "It's Monday Magic Night here at Francesca's restaurant." I like this approach because it puts the focus on the restaurant immediately. The restaurant has deemed Monday "magic night" and this officially authorizes the magician's presence. If you're good, YOU will authorize your own presence momentarily. But in my experience, that initial statement shifts the attention to the restaurant and its desire to have you perform on that "magic night." It feels less intrusive to me. Probably all in my head though!
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
I think they should have the chance to say ¨no¨ (especially if the act is not perfectly polished).

I usually say ¨Welcome to ___, my name is Dimitri, I am the house entertainer, can I show you something really special...?
However what you say is only part of the approach, the nonverbal communication is not less important, people could feel when I was not confidante or nervous, and I was rejected more frequently, so when I approach a group I try to smile, be relaxed and believe that what I am about to do is worth seeing (if they say ¨no¨, I feel it is totally their lost and move on).
There is nothing wrong to get rejected from time to time, it is worst to do magic for people that are not in the mood for entertainment and to put them in an awkward situation
When I work in a restaurant I don´t consider that my job is to do as many tables as possible, I prefer to think that my job is to do magic for all the tables that want to see magic.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
We produced a 3 dvd set back in 2005 on the theory of working restaurants with 6 guys who really do work restaurants. Garrett Thomas, dan Fleshman, Kirk Charles, Justin Miller, Paul Green and Dan Tong and me. Tons of great content on these dvd's and you can see all 3 DVD's on Reel Magic for $5

www.reelmagicmagazine.com

No long term commitment
Yash Pataskar
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Yash Pataskar
‘Hallo! Did any of You lose a wad of 100s secured in rubber bands?’ Wait for someone to reply, usually someone will say yes as a joke. ‘Here are those rubber bands.’

‘Sir, is this Your wallet? I found it right here.’ Open it & it bursts in flames. ‘Oh man! It’s really hot, it looks like it’s mine.’ Let me introduce myself, I am ... (Later do C2W and their jaws will drop! It also looks like a complete circle when You end with C2W and I love to end where I started. Remember we started with the Flaming Wallet and their Signed Card Appearing Inside the wallet is how we end. ✨
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How to approach people at a bar or restaurant (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL