The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups & Balls - Non-stacking (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
Can anyone recommend a cups and balls routine that can be done impromptu with available coffee mugs, tea cups, etc. that do NOT stack.
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Michael Ammar demonstrates a routine using grapes and teacups on vol 1 of his Complete Cups and Balls DVD.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Can't beat this classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ebutknI8UU

David
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1841 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
There's also the Malini routine in Stars of Magic.
TKF
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of TKF
If you want a set of cups that don't stack, that includes a three-shell-styled routine: Look on RNT2 for the "JDG Fundamental cups".

Quote:
On May 17, 2014, BeThePlunk wrote:
Can't beat this classic.

This is definitely a go to! And made recently available for purchase, via user: RS1963 - For only under $10, way better than a few cups of coffee!

From signature: "Learn Michael Skinner's Impromptu Cup and Balls Routine. http://www.skinnercups.com/ "
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5084 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Now HERE is a classic. Smile

Smile

Be sure to watch the second half. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
This post might get me in trouble, but here goes:

Many people hate this routine (and these two fellows) for exposure. I just think it's terrifically entertaining, and most folks watching don't retain ANY of the moves they expose (or the ones they whisk right by) beyond, "Oh, they put it in the cup while we weren't watching," which every spectator ALREADY KNOWS unless they believe it's REALLY magic. No one in that audience is going to remember how or when the loads were made, I warrant.

Thanks for bringing it back out, Poof-Daddy!
miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
Thanks to BeThePlunk and TKF. It's exactly what I was looking for -- with a great set of instructions at a bargain price as well.

Miky
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2714 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Thank you for suggesting Micheal Skinner's routine David, and TKF. I'm late to this thread. Nice to see that others are passing on the word about Steve's pdf for Michael's routine. It is a very good one. I have been using it for several years now and it has never failed to do well. Miky thank you as well. I'm glad that you found the routine to your likeing.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5084 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Any routine is only as good or as bad as YOU make it. This is really an effect of presentation.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
My routine is done this way for a few reasons. This is one of them. I started with Jim Cellini's routine which I really liked and eventually took out parts that didn't seem to impress the audience as much as others. I also removed other parts to shorten it and later wanted to take out any stacking elements.

Try starting with what you like and see if you can find a way to modify it by adding in bits from other routines that you find magical and entertaining that don't require stacking.

You might just end up with something wonderful and all yours.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8826 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have a compilation of effect using tea cups called "Cup of T" never quite completed for publication -- partially because Bill Palmer was working with me on refining the teaching method before he got involved in other things.

Perhaps it is time to complete it for all to use. Contact me privately to discuss - gusarimagic@comcast.net

I may also complete two other eBooks of a non-stacking approach: "CampOut" that uses enameled camping type cups, bowls and plates, and "Co-Laps" that uses collapsible drinking cups.

The book "Ball, Cup and Me" addresses the issue of "Stack" and has several routines that do not require Stacking (Lulu)
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
LFoxx
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of LFoxx
Didn't David Williamson do his cups and balls routine on a TV show like the "World's Greatest Magic" or something like that with mugs and cherries
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
IsaacLouie--Yes, you are correct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJiTvLAraJc (but it was strawberries & coffee cups).
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Gazzo doesn't stack them either. His is a modified Vernon (et al) routine. Pretty much any routine can be done without stacking just by leaving that part out. That's what is so great about C&B, you can pretty much make it into whatever you want it to be.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Funnily enough, the stacking bit I use [think Charlie Miller] has always troubled me slightly. Not technically so much as in terms of transparency. The only reason it's still in there is the pay-off, when the two balls have travelled from the pockets to under the end cups: it really gets people. (I'm basically a wh*re.)

Anyway, I agree with the above; you can do a great routine without stacking.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On May 17, 2014, BeThePlunk wrote:
Can't beat this classic.

David

Very very good. I agree
I like especially the first part
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups & Balls - Non-stacking (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL