The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » You're Favorite Gaffed Packet Tricks (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
I like thesse effects.

challengedmichael
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of challengedmichael
Danny Archer's Eye Exam
Youngblood44
View Profile
New user
Frederick, MD.
1 Post

Profile of Youngblood44
Poker Test 2.0- Erik Casey
ACE - Sanders
Shock Twist- Gary Jones
Color Monte
Andrew Immerman
View Profile
Regular user
California
108 Posts

Profile of Andrew Immerman
@Vlad_77, thank you for the correction. I'd been under the impression that Jim Temple had designed the trick and its patter. Looking back into CardMagic, I'd forgotten Monte for the Maladjusted. Great routine!

Andrew
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Right now they are NFW followed with Vernon's Twisting the Aces since the first can flow right into the second.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Three by Steve Valentine..
Stand Up Monte...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On May 24, 2014, MRSharpe wrote:
Right now they are NFW followed with Vernon's Twisting the Aces since the first can flow right into the second.

Interesting, I've always done this the other way around…Only because NFW is much more magical looking IMHO. I certainly see the lead in of the aces toward Twisting The Aces but to me it seems somewhat anti-climatic behind NFW, but of course to each his own, and really it's all good. Smile

As to gaffed packet effects, NFW, Double Back, B'Wave have been timeless favorites for me and I have carried them with me for years & years now - Absolutely, "3 The Hard Way." Smile Capitulating Queens is another one that helps make a hopefully decent looking coin man like myself appear to be a great card man as well. Smile

Oh, and I do a presentation that brings 3 packet effects into play, gaffed and ungaffed. Smile I open with the ungaffed, "ReFlipped" (Josh Jay version), then on into Twisting The Aces, and finish with NFW. Great flow and variation of effect to the overall presentation. *And with a slight modification to ReFlipped from 4 Jacks to 4 Jokers, you create a stronger continuum that also adds to the amazing ending with NFW. Smile Plays very well in larger demonstration. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Another vote here for stand up Monte. A really entertaining presentation.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Kenz Krazy
View Profile
New user
Kent in the U.K
74 Posts

Profile of Kenz Krazy
Double backed jon Allen
poolside
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Florida
73 Posts

Profile of poolside
After reading all the recommendations in the Café, I purchased Garret Thomas' Stand Up Monte and initial reactions are outstanding! I started routine with Mark Mason's Stuck Up Monte, and then expanded on the "NEVER play 3 card monte" theme with Stand Up and I believe the people I showed will NEVER play 3 card monte again!
"It's a good feeling to know you're alive" - Fred Rogers
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
The one packet trick I always go back to is "Factory Misprints" by JC Wagner
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
I think one of the most important things to consider when doing packet tricks is why the hell you're carrying around a packet of cards in the first place! Many presentations fail to address where these cards came from, and why you're carrying around whatever small number you have. This can lead the audience to assume (correctly!) that these cards are not exactly normal.

The only two packet tricks I've used consistently over the last ten years are both in the Ron Bauer Private Studies Series. Check out #2 "Sudden Death Gypsy Curse." The payoff is startling and really looks impossible. And the story makes perfect sense, so it's easy to lead the audience "down the garden path." You can watch them and see what they're thinking during each step. And just when they think they got ya, BAM!

The other is #6 "Owed to Poker Dan." This is a trick for honing your acting chops. It's the story of the last hand in a card game played by Poker Dan. It wasn't right what the other players did to Poker Dan that night, and you aren't about to let anyone forget it! This is another stunning surprise of a trick. The narrative includes a poem that ends with a great punch line, which also serves as the tag line for the piece.

Both of these presentations deal with the packet of cards right up front, as do some others. But these two have served me well...
DigaMag
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
308 Posts

Profile of DigaMag
Simplex monte by alakazam magic of course... always killed!!!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
McDonald's Aces...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Twist sister and stand up monte are both by favority
although I much prefer non-gaff packet trick
Duderino
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Duderino
I love the visual impact of "Mexican Revolution" by Fenik.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_v-d4ZLXNY

I love "Twisted Sisters" for it's impact and simplicity
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I have many favourites. There are so many wonderful packet effects available to us throughout our literature.
Jim Swain's Capitulating Queens is a modern classic. Woody Aragon's Do Not Get Confused is a deadly opener. And don't forget Sam Schwartz' masterpiece.
There's three killers off the top of my head.
TomasKancyper
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of TomasKancyper
Man, for god´s sake please learn the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » You're Favorite Gaffed Packet Tricks (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL