The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » ASH (80 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On May 28, 2014, Roth wrote:
Books are starting to ship. You will see people posting that they received it.

I'm getting them in small batches from the binder and all orders will have shipped in the next 7 days.

Books shipped yesterday and they are shipping today Smile

Hang on, Bad little Ash is on the road Smile

Actual book: nicer cover

That is so cool you wearing the Batman shirt...Post man just delivered a "Adam West 1966 Batmobile 1/16 scale" .

Cover, looks Great !
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Sicnatius
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
394 Posts

Profile of Sicnatius
I totally love the cover of this book... can't wait to finally receive it.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Ash held by the strongest link..
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Rick, you deserve a nice vacation after this.
Bob
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Looks awesome, Rick!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5357 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Oh man oh man. It's mailbox campout time. I know the neighborhood kids look at our house funny when they see my tent next to the mailbox, a single candle lit with the subtle light of a laptop...glowing green...as I'm glued to The Café, watching the hourly commentary on Ash. Oh sure, the mailman will unzip the front every morning and peek in, "Good morning sir," he'll say in that jaunty way that he has. "You know, you don't have to wait out here like this. I'll deliver your package safely and it will be right here waiting for you. You really don't need to stay here all day long, in the wind, and rain."

Oh, but I do my postal friend. I do.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Ash is being a meanie..
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5357 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Shivers...
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1504 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Freakin awesome Rick ! You definitely earned some time off before your next evil plan Smile
Doc Ben
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix, AZ
188 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Total awesomeness, Rick.....as always...Thanks mucho!
Smile
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Sweet... I mean.. that's terrible poor girl...
Heka Siosiri
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Heka Siosiri
Nice. Now let the mail-anxiety begin.
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
I always enjoy thinking about the book binders and printers getting these jobs. The conversation around the dinner table that night, etc. I wonder if they ever call the police. "No officer he hasn't actually done anything but he has lots of tattoos and you should see the sicko stuff he brings in here! Just sayin you may wanna keep an eye on him"
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Too funny Zoop...
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1576 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Quote:
On May 29, 2014, Darkness wrote:
Too funny Zoop...

No, too true!
armymagic
View Profile
New user
Phoenix, AZ, USA
87 Posts

Profile of armymagic
So copy #1 of ASH arrived yesterday, and really all I can say is that there needs to be a warning label on the front if this book. Took the time to read through the case study front to back with one or two of my friends. One if them continually asked to pause on the readings as he (prior Army Ranger with combat experience) was getting a little too freaked out. I'll be honest, I haven't even looked at the method yet, the book is too amazing just on its own. By reading though it, you will take a genuine ride through a young girls psychosis and eventual defeat . It's dark, intriguing, spooky, disturbing, and in a few places just plain wrong! It truly can be read front to back by the way, but it's almost like reading a LSD users diary, but knowing it was written by a very young girl makes it all the disturbing!
Café denizens, I know that we have all waited very patiently for this to be distributed, but the wait is not in vain! Books are shipping and I predict that ASH will become a cornerstone of many acts in the following year. This is truly a masterpiece!
Love me or hate me, but you'll never forget me!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5357 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I received my copy of Ash yesterday, but only finally had time to look at it today. This may be Outlaw Effects' magnum opus, as it truly is a piece of dark art. The quality of the book is what you would expect from OE, but that is not what blew me away. It’s the story.

Rick Roth (with help from counsels Gary Kriss and Bobby Hasbun) has written and drawn the book in a masterful way, with layers of reveals that are as disturbing as the tale itself. The diary begins with periodic and spuradic entries that are mundane and what you would expect from a 9 year old girl, “mommy and me made cookies.” But as the journal continues and Alice's condition worsens as she slowly descends into darkness, the entries are more frequent and desperate. The writing and pictures are sloppier and drawn with a heavier hand.

The book opens with a foreword by a Dr. Robert J. Strauss, which is in fact a letter to his colleagues inviting commentary on this discovered document. The back story is a perfect one, as it allows there to be Case Study Observation pages at the end of each month in the journal. These pages are blank on both sides permitting you to enhance the effect with additional notes and reveals.

Since every page is individually hand-drawn and unique, there is no evidence of anything amiss. The journal can be read from cover to cover with no danger of discovering any gaffs or tells. The system employed will be familiar to many, and easy to use, which is exactly what you want for an evocative performance piece like this. The reveals are designed to become increasingly more disturbing as they are described, and this is enhanced by the unique nature of the content. Unlike standard book tests which are typeset, designed, and printed consistently from front to back with no change in texture or tone, Ash visually evolves as it progresses. This enables you as a performer to not only make contextual revelations, but conditional ones as well. You can describe how Alice is recording her thoughts more often, writing heavier and more quickly…repeating words…she is desperate to get her thoughts out. Her pictures are becoming morbid, even violent. She is changing and the book reflects that. Other book tests can't offer these layers of emotional texture. Ash can. And does.

The English say, “Good things come to those who wait.” Well we’ve waited, and Ash is a very, very good thing.
Doc Ben
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix, AZ
188 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Gosh....excruciating tremors to remian patient,...especially with the Armymagic and Wiz of Oz reviews above, but....Phoenix...! If Armymagic got his....I'm stalking my postal delivery service for mine...."wherefore art thou, ASH...? Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1189 Posts

Profile of reese
I can/can't wait!!
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On May 30, 2014, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I received my copy of Ash yesterday, but only finally had time to look at it today. This may be Outlaw Effects' magnum opus, as it truly is a piece of dark art. The quality of the book is what you would expect from OE, but that is not what blew me away. It’s the story.

Rick Roth (with help from counsels Gary Kriss and Bobby Hasbun) has written and drawn the book in a masterful way, with layers of reveals that are as disturbing as the tale itself. The diary begins with periodic and spuradic entries that are mundane and what you would expect from a 9 year old girl, “mommy and me made cookies.” But as the journal continues and Alice's condition worsens as she slowly descends into darkness, the entries are more frequent and desperate. The writing and pictures are sloppier and drawn with a heavier hand.

The book opens with a foreword by a Dr. Robert J. Strauss, which is in fact a letter to his colleagues inviting commentary on this discovered document. The back story is a perfect one, as it allows there to be Case Study Observation pages at the end of each month in the journal. These pages are blank on both sides permitting you to enhance the effect with additional notes and reveals.

Since every page is individually hand-drawn and unique, there is no evidence of anything amiss. The journal can be read from cover to cover with no danger of discovering any gaffs or tells. The system employed will be familiar to many, and easy to use, which is exactly what you want for an evocative performance piece like this. The reveals are designed to become increasingly more disturbing as they are described, and this is enhanced by the unique nature of the content. Unlike standard book tests which are typeset, designed, and printed consistently from front to back with no change in texture or tone, Ash visually evolves as it progresses. This enables you as a performer to not only make contextual revelations, but conditional ones as well. You can describe how Alice is recording her thoughts more often, writing heavier and more quickly…repeating words…she is desperate to get her thoughts out. Her pictures are becoming morbid, even violent. She is changing and the book reflects that. Other book tests can't offer these layers of emotional texture. Ash can. And does.

The English say, “Good things come to those who wait.” Well we’ve waited, and Ash is a very, very good thing.

Thank you Smile

Books are rolling out! Expect several more to hit mailboxes this coming week Smile
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » ASH (80 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL