The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Lecture question? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hefemexy
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of hefemexy
I wanted to find out why/if there aren't any or few lectures on business aspect of our craft. I see so many artist performing demo lectures or sales lectures,but none on how to approach companies etc. is it because not many club members would go to something like that or what?

I'm not trying to start an argument but an open dialogue, I have attended different club meetings and more than not I see allot of seasoned guys and ladies buying these effects that most likely sit on the shelf, while hardly seeing any youth in the audience learning about things that could help further there magic style.

I've seen one thing similar to what I'm speaking about in Orlando FL, and I think so many ppl got great things out of that to help their careers , I'd like to see more of it.
Okay, I give up what was your card?

https://www.facebook.com/lionsmagic

Look nothing up my sleeves, but you're not wearing sleeves

Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I couldn't agree more. All I can say is stay tuned......coming soon!

The problem is many magicians will spend money on the latest tricks, effects, props, accessories, books, DVDs and downloads for their magic, but will invest little or nothing in the business side of their operation. It's always amazed me because this is where the money is made. Business resources can easily pay for themselves, where as 90% of the stuff a typical magician buys just ends up in a drawer or on a shelf.

What is money better spent? Truth of the matter is many performers are poor business men and women, and dread the business side of things. I feel there are many reasons for that, but I am aware of some new business releases that are forthcoming (and if there is enough interest a lecture tour to support it has already been discussed) and it will be interesting to see how many take advantage of it and actually invest in their business operations and themselves.
nelsonfu
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of nelsonfu
I think it has a lot to do with the target audience. The majority club members and attending magicians aren't necessarily professionals themselves but hobbyists, who are less interested in the business side. They go to magic lectures to learn new theories and effects or to see and support the lecturer, who they may not get a chance to see regularly. Although the business side of magic has unique characteristics inherent in itself, most of the general principles are covered in entertainment or small business sales seminars. Don't get me wrong, I love to learn more about the business side of magic and find it useful, but clubs have to book performers who their members are generally interested in seeing. A lot of times, I've seen lecturers cover selling tips in the Q&A portion though.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Perhaps online information sessions/lectures on this topic is the way to go...?

Julie
robfind
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of robfind
Contact David Corsaro in NJ. He has a great business of magic lecture.
hefemexy
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of hefemexy
If there are any online sessions, I would love to hear about it. Not online lectures about tricks but business aspects, proposals, handling issues without managers or agents.
Okay, I give up what was your card?

Look nothing up my sleeves, but you're not wearing sleeves

Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
I have worked for a marketing agency for the past 20 years, specializing in brand equity marketing (making sure companies are positioning themselves in the right light to their clients.)

Several years ago, I turned all of my marketing education into a magic lecture, helping magicians market themselves on little to no budget. I gave the lecture at the Detroit Motor City Convention in 2012, MAES in 2013 and a mini-version of it at Magi-Fest in 2014 (plus I have delivered it to various clubs on the east coast.)

If you have a specific question about marketing or would like to learn more about my lecture and marketing lecture notes, please PM me.

David Corsaro

P.S. Thanks robfind
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The majority of magicians are hobbists who want the latest and great pocket magic.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Lecture question? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL