The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Penguin magic online downloads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
Does anyone have any of the Penguin magic online downloads and if so could they please tell me what they think of them?

Thanks for you help
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Decent but not the best I have seen. You can't go wrong with a low price like that though. Even if you learn 1/3 of a trick it is worth 5 bucks.

Read the reviews and visit their forums. Just research some stuff.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
I've bought a couple and they're fine. I too like Oz's method of teaching, it's clear and to the point. If you want a very effective trick, "Out of this world" is a good place to start, doesn't involve anything except a very simple sleight but no one will work it out. It's certainly not a Penguin original and it's reproduced in many many books, but this is a quick and easy way to learn it.

The Ultimate Ace Assembly is a more complex routine and involves many more complex sleights, but Oz teaches them and it will keep you busy for a good few sessions working on them.

David.
Liams-Heart
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Liams-Heart
Most of the Penguin Magic downloads are very good. I'd recommend searching their forums for reviews because they are usually right on.

At first I had a hard time at the thought of paying for a download, but now I'm glad I've done so. I learn best visually and have found that a lot of the $5-6 downloads are a much better value for me than the $10-15 tricks that only include a manuscript.

As someone else mentioned, I would also recommend Out of this World.

Smile
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Personally, I've found them very helpful.

As someone who grew up with only magic books to learn from, I find video, DVDs and downloads much easier to use. You can watch the exact move, hand position, timing, everything-- over and over.

And as others have pointed out, if you're interested in a certain effect, that's all you have to pay for-- not a lot of filler.

My favorites so far are Revolver (an easy version of Twisting the Aces) and Out of This World (a classic).

Smile
Traylen
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Traylen
Some of them can be found in RRTCM. But some of them are also pretty good. My favorite is Joker's Wild, because laymen love that trick. Visual magic is my favorite because it hits hard. Nothing better then seeing a card transform into another card right before your very eyes Smile .
What the eye sees, the ear hears, the mind believes.
-Harry Houdini
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Yes, I got Jokers Wild and Revolver when I got back into magic and they both contain good moves that can be used elsewhere.

Both of these effects have good demos because what you see is what you get. I've heard there are some where maybe a cut or something else is used in the demo, but it's taken for granted while the 'meat' of the effect is taught.

The onlyr real complaint I've heard is again with proper crediting.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
Quote:
On 2004-01-16 17:00, Traylen wrote:
Some of them can be found in RRTCM. But some of them are also pretty good. My favorite is Joker's Wild, because laymen love that trick. Visual magic is my favorite because it hits hard. Nothing better then seeing a card transform into another card right before your very eyes Smile .

Could you please tell me what skill level Jokers Wild requires? It looks quite interesting.
Matt Foster
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
4 Posts

Profile of Matt Foster
I would say jokers wild is at an intermediate stage. It is a very nice effect. I would recommend "Do as I Do" by Oz. It is not your standard "Do as I Do". This is a very simple, very good trick. It gets big reactions.

Check it out,
Matt
Traylen
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Traylen
Joker's Wild is pretty easy. The color changes are very easy to learn, and if you have trouble with the shapeshifter, just do the first change twice (yeah yeah, don't repeat stuff, shoot me =P ). And you have to be able to control cards. If you can do that, the trick is pretty easy to learn.
What the eye sees, the ear hears, the mind believes.
-Harry Houdini
J773
View Profile
New user
Belgium
56 Posts

Profile of J773
I've got quite a lot of Pengiun Magic's videos.
They are good. Oz gives good instructions.

Like some others, I like the "Joker's Wild" too.
Photofnish
View Profile
Regular user
Issaquah, WA
140 Posts

Profile of Photofnish
I second "Do As I Do." Easy but impressive trick. I also learned "Out of This World" and "Quantum Bandits" (AKA "Crazy Man's Handcuffs") from Penguin. "Quick Trick" is also fun and teaches a sleight that was new to me.
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
The downloads they have are fairly well done, but they are after all meant to hook your attention so that you will buy their product. I have not had any problems as far as the downloads themselves are concerned, you should give them a try.
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
...not sure I get that? The downloads ARE part of their product line so there's no hooking going on there.

Do you mean all the video demo's they have there? Those are selling tools for the respective effects.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
I agree with thumbslinger, you watch a video, you like the trick, you buy the effect... and no obligation here.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
The magic and the instructions are great. The only problem I see is paying for something you already know. I think most of the effects are just re-titled. For all you know they are in one of your books and old videos. Just be careful in purchasing.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
There is another thread on this worth reading here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=30

I've already stated my piece there, so I'll leave it at that.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Lagrange
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Lagrange
I don't like the renaming/selling of effects that seems to be going on there.
Dr Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Sparks, NV
154 Posts

Profile of Dr Magic
I ordered their classic force download just out of curiousity. I did not enjoy the video very much but I particularly didn't like the method of delivery.

If I remember correctly I could only access the video through their site for a period of time, I couldn't save it. And I had to WAIT for the "instant" download. A day I think. By the time I got it I really wasn't that hyped about it anymore Smile

Seems they offer a lot of stuff but it's not quite ready for market yet.

Dr Magic

Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4954 Posts

Profile of landmark
<<The only real complaint I've heard is again with proper crediting. >>

See my signature.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Penguin magic online downloads (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL