The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Guest Bedroom/Magic Room (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
393 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
I have a room that is dedicated to storage and practice, but occasionally I need to use it as a guest bedroom. I'm wondering what options are out there to keep prying eyes from my stuff. I'm thinking something with shelves and a lock, but I don't want it to look too out of place in a bedroom. Any ideas?
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
A locking filing cabinet can be good for storage if you aren't trying to display your props. You can get wooden cabinets that look more like furniture than the typical metal cabinets.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
John... I can kind of understand your request; before I got my dedicated magic room I shared a home office with my family.

I openly keep books on the bookshelves and secretive things in wooden boxes that looked like nick knacks. I also displayed my different Cup sets. When guests used the home office for access to our computer, I never had a problem with them messing around with my stuff... luckily we have respectful friends.

There are some cool looking barrister type of book cases and trunks that would lock and would look like furniture out there is you search the net.

Good luck and post some photos if you can once all is set up.

Bruce
AKMan
View Profile
New user
Covington, WA
56 Posts

Profile of AKMan
I just leave my magic books out on their bookcases in the guest room. No one has ever snooped, and if they did, I wouldn't mind. It might spark interest and we'e suck another victim into our addiction. Besides, they aren't going to get much out of pulling a Tarbell or Slydini book off the shelf. I imagine magic books are pretty boring to the layman. Tricks are in numbered boxes in the closet and valuable stuff like money is kept hidden in another room away from guests and burglers. Large table top props (Square Circle, etc.) are on bookshelves interspersed with regular books in the TV room and look like magical decorations to guests. I've never had anyone pull the Genii Tube off the shelf and discover the secret. (This applies to adult guests. If my guests are teenagers or pets I go to DEFCON 1 and full lockdown.)
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
AKMan.... I chuckled to myself; we did have a guest look at one of my magic books... he made comments that he got bored looking at it. He was expecting something more complicated. Another guest looking at my Cup sets asked why I collected big bullets.

Take care,
Bruce
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
LOL@big bullets!

Smile
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
My magic room/guest room is stuffed to gills and looks like a place Dumbledore would be happy with. I would never trust a child to sleep in there, but many of an adult have, and I've never found anything amiss. Most of my props are vintage wood and metal effects, without a lot of color. I'm guessing most folks think I just collect a lot of old junky boxes and cans.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Wizard of OZ... " looks like a place Dumbledore would be happy with." I like that comment as well as " I'm guessing most folks think I just collect a lot of old junky boxes and cans."... they would go well with my bullets... LOL.

Take care,
Bruce
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Bruce, if only they knew what we paid for those junky boxes, cans, and bullets.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
amazing mike
View Profile
New user
Mike Sussman
10 Posts

Profile of amazing mike
Does anybody have any photos or examples of how to convert an extra bedroom to a magic storage and practice room?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Guest Bedroom/Magic Room (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL