The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Being filmed..your thoughts (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
I'm not looking to stop it, Danny, only to have say so about my particular situations that I'm in. I haven't made anyone angry yet, because I treat them nice and with a sense of humor when I ask.
I haven't had anyone still do it after asking nice. And they get to watch the show! They've all been nice about it so far on the 3 or 4 occasions I've asked. But partly because of the way I handled it.
No one here has whined or complained, so again, you're framing this from an odd point of view. We're all just discussing a real concern from real-world points of view. And I love some of the productive suggestions that Christopher, Michael and Robert offered, even though I'm not in complete agreement.

A couple of us have already explained how it could hurt us.
Is it OK if anyone posts videos of you performing?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
ABSOLUTELY it is ok with me. I couldn't care less.

In the hypnosis show I tell them not to out of deference to the volunteers. In close-up film away! I ask for people to send me things they do record.

How in any real way will it hurt you? Some guy and his 10 friends see it on You Tube. Wow. Career ending.

And make no mistake this entire concept is about whining about being filmed.

I ask again how it will hurt you? The whole "teen aged you tube" thing? Seriously?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalmilton
View Profile
Regular user
London/Mallorca
172 Posts

Profile of magicalmilton
I love being filmed spontaneously Smile means I get videos from the spectators perspective... if they put them up on YouTube (99.9% of the time they never make it off of the persons phone).

Plus its extra promo material. That you can put up whenever... like this!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=102......&theater

and this!

and... and... well you get the point.

Plus you can't be blamed for the poor video quality coz hell... its off a phone, what do you expect?!
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Quote:
On May 27, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
ABSOLUTELY it is ok with me. I couldn't care less.
. . .
And make no mistake this entire concept is about whining about being filmed.

I've been asked by others not to share videos of their performances, for reasons having nothing to do with volunteers. You were one of them.
Most close-up shows use volunteers.
Here's what I know - you see whining in the posts above, I see none. Calling others whiners and complainers doesn't foster a healthy discussion.

How can one be hurt by videos posted online by teens or anyone else? Here's just three scenarios:
1) The most used search engine in the world owns the most used video platform. If a poor quality video, or a poorly edited video, or a poor camera angle is uploaded to YouTube, and they choose to include the performer's name, there is a high likelihood that video will pop up in search results. Excellent organic search results resulting in bookings affects the livelihood of any professional today. I'd prefer my potential clients view the videos I've posted, on the site I've built. It is all by design, and most of us spend many hours building an online presence. And a teenager shooting bad video can easily impact searches due to the tie-in of Google and YouTube.

2) Some of my material is proprietary. I don't want other performers seeing certain parts of my act. I created those parts for my live audiences and they work.

3) Secrets. Repeated viewing by laymen. Need I say more?

Asked and answered. Your thoughts?
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On May 26, 2014, eatonmagic wrote:
I think instead of being worried, magicians should use this opportunity to their favor. I usually encourage them to film but only if they agree to tag me and the restaurant as well as ask their Facebook friends to share. Now look at your situation... You took a somewhat uncomfortable situation and are now using it as a promotional piece Smile

This like many post brings up some great point. And like this one as it about making it work for you.

I also feel that someone wanting to film you and like what your doing is only a good thing. And in this day and age not much we can do to stop but a lot we can embrace.

One thing I find busking is people that video come disconnected from the performance and create barriers. People don't like to stand in the way.

So there a few thougths from me.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
People are afraid of spiders even if they can't hurt them Smile

I've been filmed a few times when people have asked, but I would prefer if someone wasn't filming from the side during my chop cup routine Smile
I'd prefer if they were still talking about where the lemon came from, rather than noticing it in the video after I've gone. And then sharing the mystery with their friends rather than the secret. Not sure it would affect business much, but can't we all have ideals?

But anyway, back to the spiders. I know plenty of people who aren't magicians who don't like being filmed. My mum for instance. It seems a valid thing, just as right now I wouldn't like to perform on a large stage. Nothing to do with the magic, I would just feel uncomfortable.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My thoughts point by point.

1) Doubtful.
2) Completely understandable, but nothing you can do. It is the price for being a creative talent. It is not worth breaking a lot of rock over. I have had parts lifted before, and it will keep happening. Can't live in a cocoon.
3) Secrets? SERIOUSLY? Yes please say more. Watching and watching does not help. BUT I doubt people would have the stamina to watch it enough to get the secret.

I just can't imagine how much it is going to hurt a business. Anyone have any stories of it actually happening and not a "scenario"?

Now not wanting your performance to get into the hands of a LOT of other magicians, I certainly understand. Valid concern.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalmilton
View Profile
Regular user
London/Mallorca
172 Posts

Profile of magicalmilton
Magicians will copy each other whether filmed of not ha. My advice, make it hard to copy by making what you do as deceptive as possible... if you aren't already lol.

Sam Smile
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Quote:
On May 27, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Anyone have any stories of it actually happening and not a "scenario"?

Danny, my "scenarios" are all based on actually seeing them happen - each one of them, and more than once. My views on the matter are born of those experiences.
I don't spend much time worrying about it, until another magician brings it up and complains about differing viewpoints.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you want to spend the time to worry about it and to tell people not to film then go ahead. I just think it is pointless.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Danny, it seems that you're expending more emotional angst on this subject than anyone who doesn't want to be filmed!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If that is what you think you are reading WAY too much into my posts.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On May 24, 2014, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Doesn't bother me at all. Let them film me, and throw it up on FB or You Tube or whatever. More publicity for me. If you're worried they may discover how you did the magic, it will only prove that the fat bald guy in a yellow suit isn't really a warlock. Shocking revelation.

Oh snap. that cracked me up lol. I have too agree with you, on the otherhand, though I know what the threa starter is anxious about. A few days back a friend of mine wanted to put an entire birthday show act of 30 min on youtube. An act I am charging good money for.
In night clubs I get often ask if they may film while I do single effects. And I think there is a difference. And I can understand any worries about having your whole show, which makes your livinghood public for everyone to see. I'd rather have just the occasional vdieos with tricks and illusions on it, not an entire show.
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Trying to stop recordings of you performances is an act of futility and makes you look bad, despite the fact that people are rude for not asking permission. Manners rarely exist anymore, considering that many were raised by a television set.
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Quote:
On May 28, 2014, Alan Munro wrote:
Trying to stop recordings of you performances is an act of futility and makes you look bad, despite the fact that people are rude for not asking permission. Manners rarely exist anymore, considering that many were raised by a television set.

By definition, it cannot be an act of futility, because each time I've asked, (nicely), it's worked. And it never made me look bad - their smiles told the story. It improved their experience and mine, which worked together well.

I think we can all agree the practice is, as Danny put it, ubiquitous. 4-8 years ago, most kids and teens had their phones out at the restaurant table. In the last 4-5 years, their parents and grandparents have joined them. It's not unusual to approach a table and have everyone at it on their phones doing something. It has permeated most levels of our culture.

I'm not going to change the culture or society, and I'm not out to. I'm only going to bring about a change for a few minutes during my interaction with them. And it's easy to do without alienating anyone. If someone takes offense to your request, you've done it wrong. During a successful performance, audience management is essential and dealing with phone videos is just part of that. Having everyone focus on the presentation is a good thing, not a futile thing.

You're right, manners are a thing of the past. But I'm not giving up yet. And it doesn't happen enough to deserve this much clarification.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How exactly do you know it improved their experience?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Danny,
I'm not sure if you're serious or not, because I'm almost sure you know the difference between a smiling, engaged spectator and a distracted one.

But if you're serious, here's "exactly" how I know:
The spectators holding a camera are distracted and not watching the performance, and the ones without are enjoying the performance. I hope you're not going to ask me exactly how I know they're enjoying the performance, because my answer would include reactions like smiling, laughing, amazement, and all the things you've probably experienced at your own shows. After a while, all of us know the difference between spectators that are enjoying the performance and the ones that aren't responding like the others because they're attention is focused on shooting video instead of the performance. And when you've seen it enough times, it's easy to draw reasonable conclusions.

So, in the end - the smiling, typically responsive spectators' reactions are an improvement (with regards to a successful performance) over the experience of, and the reactions of the person holding the camera that is not displaying those same qualities.

I hope you'd agree with me that a spectator having an enjoyable experience is an improvement over those that aren't.

Is this getting silly, and am I really responding to your baiting?
Something tells me you're going to find a sentence in here you can hang your hat on, and ask another question that has an obvious answer you already know.
I'm going to go spend time with my family.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am no fan of people experiencing life through a little screen. I think it heralds the downfall of civilization. It makes it impossible to travel. Used to be you met he most interesting people. Now everyone is on phones.

All that said many people enjoy experiencing life that way. Documenting others fun oeuvre unique experiences. To presume they had a better experience by taking that away is curious.

Also wait till the Google Glasses are ubiquitous. You won't even know it is happening.

I just don't like the idea of telling people how to have fun at their own dinner.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
The answer is "HEELLL YYEEAHAHHH!!!!!!!!" film away and share that ish on youtube and facebook. If they want to film it so they can play it in slow motion, even better, we all know a trick or two where it doesn't matter how slow you play it, it still fries people.

In today's day and age where social proof and social sharing is a huge marketing ploy, it will be unwise, in my opinion, to not let someone share your work.

Just saying Smile
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
I have to say, I'm on the fence with this one. When I'm busking or working my restaurants, some of my effects are very misdirection-heavy. I know I can draw their eyes away at the right time...but the camera phone is a bit harder to deceive sometimes. THAT being said....If I am performing one of my other routines, I say GO FOR IT! Like others have mentioned before, it's free advertising for me! And the more different users that have different videos of the same magician (me) the better for SEO and such.

I welcome the free press, but I do tread cautiously when I notice someone filming or go ahead and allow them to do so. Fortunately, due to my street work, most of my routines are angle-proofed. If you think about it, the anytime-cameras kinda push us to better our acts a bit.

And Danny, Google Glasses? Oh man, I do not look forward to that! lol They'll be googling my act before I'm halfway through! OR maybe theyll even be livestreaming it! :O
I do frown upon people living through a screen. But like you said, to each their own. All the more reason to introduce people to magic right in front of them! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Being filmed..your thoughts (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL