The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » TNR Tract? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
I recently got inspired with a torn and restored effect using a Gospel tract. I think it has potential. The routine runs smooth and there is even a good justification for ripping up the tract. I suppose my question is "Does anyone have a problem ripping up a Gospel tract (Chick tracts aside) or could there be potential to offend a brother/sister in Christ? This would primarily be used as a means of handing out the restored tract at the end.

You can also PM me if you want more detail on the routine festering in my little brain. Thanks!
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
There should be no offense. It is not, after all, the Bible. However, if you couch it in a storyline of an evangelist hand a tract to someone who rejected it (ripped it up), then restoring it talking about how the work and Truth of the Gospel cannot be destroyed...then it makes sense to tear it up...even to someone who is offended at a mere printed paper being destroyed, just because it has religious words on it.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
That storyline was the rationale for ripping it up. I would certainly hope no one would be offended by the act of ripping a tract up, but I wanted to make sure my estimation wasn't too presumptuous.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
OK, I'm offended (hypothetically). Now what will you do?
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
Touche Terry, I suppose in performance it wouldn't matter too much because if they are offended, the tract gets restored anyway. Most of the occasions to perform it would be for the unsaved anyway, so I would assume they wouldn't be offended.

I was merely gauging opinions as to whether or not magicians would have a problem with ripping up a piece of paper with scripture written on it. If there was a large contingency of Christian magicians that were offended, I would probably reconsider the effect.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
MM- First question- have you prayed about it? If this is something you feel God is leading you to do then be careful about basing your decision on the opinions of others. The people you might offend might also be immature believers in Christ who don't realize that there is no problem with what you are doing for the glory of God.

There are many Christians who are initially offended and/or scared by magic because they don't understand it. I've run into several who then warm to the idea after explaining what it is we do, that magic isn't real, etc. And that it is for the glory of God and sharing the gospel.

If you are doing this by faith, in the spirit, for the glory of God; you're not causing someone to stumble and it doesn't go against His word then try it. Expect some resistance because if it IS God's will the enemy will want to try and make you stop. But if you move forward in love and faith then God will bless your efforts to glorify Him.

God bless your efforts and your heart of service.

Ted-
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
Thank you Ted for your encouragement and advice. I will be praying about this as well as other projects and opportunities. The primary concern I had would be offending a new or misguided Christian, but I suppose a simple explanation should aid me if that comes up.

I have some pretty fundamental acquaintances, and I have seen the topics and soapboxes they rail on sometimes. I guess I'm coming from a (right or wrong) hesitant perspective in regards to offending brothers and sisters in Christ.

-Craig
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Nice thread and I would only add that I would love to see all Chick tracts torn and never restored. It is a sin that trees had to die for this man's hatred of others.

As to the Gospel tract, I would agree that you need a strong motivation and Mike's idea is pretty sound. That said, Theodore nailed it as far as superstition about magic in general. Then again, I am certain that many here like Theodore and Terry who perform Gospel magic have some great advice on how to help audiences overcome this. I also understand that Andre Kole is a superb resource.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
You are approaching this correctly, seek advice from others in order to make a decision. Consider their advice and prayerfully make a decision. But then be prepared for someone to be offended, but that is ok. It is a shame, but in the church, if we completely avoid doing something that will offend someone then there would be no christian magicians, no contemporary christian musicians/singers, no christian psychologist, and most of what preachers say in sermons would not be allowed because someone is offended. You really cannot be all things to all people, at least in the way we tend to think of it. Too many people disagree, and too many people are too easily offended. Ultimately, you answer to God. Jesus offended the Pharisees, and many other people. I say, if its a good routine, tear the tract. If someone complains then they are not the ones you are trying to reach and they probably could not reach the people you are trying to reach.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
When it comes right down to it, a tract is nothing but a piece of paper with ink on it. If someone gets offended by that, then (in my opinion) they are focused on the wrong stuff. Are they worshipping the Lord Jesus, or "wood pulp"?
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
I thank you all for the input and advice. I truly does mean a lot that you would take the time to comment and assist me. I will be pursuing this project and let you all know when the routine is worked out.

I'll be writing up the routine later this week and will be more than happy to share it with anyone interested.

Thanks again,

Craig
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
502 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Related info: Living Waters has a "ticket to heaven" tract that is almost untearable. They also have a lot of tracts that look like paper money that I have used for "pen thru" "3D cash" "extreme burn" and TNR as a way of handing out on the street. The also have a "10 commandment coin" that is aluminum and about silver dollar size.
Most of the bills have a space where you can stamp or print website or church email address. I have some in my shirt pocket, pull one out and joke that I actually "pay" people to watch my act. I tell them "this is yours, initial it here so I remember it's yours, now let's do something fun with it first!..." and proceed into the effect. They love keeping it afterward, and I remind them that the message on the back is worth more than all the riches in the world! If my performance gathers a group, I then give one to everyone who watched! There's also one called "giant money" I think, that looks like a jumbo $100 so you could make a bill "expand" and then hand out.
Here is the link:
http://store.livingwaters.com/index.php?......&lang=en
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Bryan Drake Show
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
125 Posts

Profile of Bryan Drake Show
I'd be offended if you restored a chick tract lol.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Sure, I'd be interested in the routine Craig. Thanks for sharing your creativity with us.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
The routine (rough draft) is finished. PM me your email address if you would like a copy. Thanks again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » TNR Tract? (10 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL